Separate sacs and separate placentas....need info — The Bump
Multiples

Separate sacs and separate placentas....need info

Hi ladies! I know a lot of you have read tons of information on the different types of twins so I figured this would be the best place to go to for answers. You would think I'd know since I am a twin myself. I have an identical twin sister. We shared the same everything so I know about that but separate everything....I know nothing but need to learn since this is what my twins are. Hope my questions aren't crazy.
1. Does this automatically make them fraternal?
2. What are the chances they are boy/girl and is it more likely they will be versus girl/girl or boy/boy?
3. Will this be like delivering 4 babies since there are also 2 placentas?
4. Does this make them di/di, mono/di, or...what are the others?

I really need to read up on this but I just came from the doctor and got straight on this board. Now I'll do some research.

Thank you all so much in advance.
1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!

Re: Separate sacs and separate placentas....need info

  • Having two placentas and two sacs means they are di/di but that doesn't automatically make them fraternal. Most di/di twins are fraternal but sometimes the eggs splits so early that they could still be identical. There's no real way of knowing that until they are born and are DNA tested. Most doctors just assume they are fraternal when they have their own placenta and sac.
    Not sure of the chances of having boy/boy vs girl/girl vs boy/girl but if you end up with boy/girl then they are definitely fraternal.
    I don't think it's like having 4 babies just because there are two placentas. You are carrying a little extra weight because of it though. I had a csection so I'm not sure how actually "delivering" the placentas is.
    Hope that helps! I have di/di identical twins and have read A LOT about everything twins!
    keshakdaviscrasonjaclynburkettHanniez89
  • I'm also having twins that are in separate gestational sacs, and the only thing I know is that the doctor stressed many times that is a positive when it comes to twins. He said that separate sacs decrease the risk a little bit, because they don't have to worry as much about one twin hogging all the nutrients & oxygen. So hooray!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
    saloved
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also having twins that are in separate gestational sacs, and the only thing I know is that the doctor stressed many times that is a positive when it comes to twins. He said that separate sacs decrease the risk a little bit, because they don't have to worry as much about one twin hogging all the nutrients & oxygen. So hooray!

    Ya it is fairly rare for both twins to be in the same sac (mono/mono) but it does happen and it's scary because the twins can get tangled in each others cords and things!
  • You have di/di twins. If they are the same sex, they have about a 75% chance of being fraternal and 15% chance of being identical.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    image
    keshakdavisCaliCarly77jaclynburkett
  • spoonleg said:
    You have di/di twins. If they are the same sex, they have about a 75% chance of being fraternal and 15% chance of being identical.
    What's the other 10%? :)
    FunnyGal18spoonlegmrsnicolerodriguezBabyKsMommy
  • CaliCarly77CaliCarly77
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    member
    edited July 2015
    You have di/di twins
    In spontanously conceived di/di twins, you have a 1 in 9 chance that they are identical
    if they are fraternal, there is a 50% chance they are boy/girl, 25% chance they are girl girl, and 25% chance they are boy boy. 
    If they are identical, there is a 0% chance that they are boy/girl*. 50% chance 2 boys, and 50% chance 2 girls

    I hope those are some helpful statistics!! My bump friend had twins at the same time as me and she is also a twin! My cousin and I had twins at the same time, hers were identical and mine were fraternal (all conceived spontaneously!) Some families just can't help it I guess ;) 

    *there is a study that suggests in VERY RARE cases there can be boy girl identical twins, but its like 1 in a billion and depends on how/when the egg splits and the type of sperm that meets the egg. I am so not going to try to explain that one lol 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

    5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

    Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

    My popular blog posts:

    imageimage

    imageimage
    canavarakeshakdavisllwx2

  • *there is a study that suggests in VERY RARE cases there can be boy girl identical twins, but its like 1 in a billion and depends on how/when the egg splits and the type of sperm that meets the egg. I am so not going to try to explain that one lol 
    omg that's crazy. Looks like it only happens if you have an egg that has three sex chromosomes, or worse case, one of the babies ends up with Turner's syndrome (only one X chromosome). TMYK!
    keshakdavis
  • I had di/di twins vaginally in April. The additional placenta was not a big deal. I actually didn't even feel pain for either. I had one of my babies on my belly by that point and was in awe and love with my first daughter and didn't focus on placentas. We did encapsulate both placentas though.
  • lmt0109lmt0109
    10 Comments 5 Love Its Photogenic
    member
    edited August 2015
    What My doctor says (I have di/di twins too)

    They are didi

    80% chance fraternal; 20% chance identical

    50% chance boy/girl 25% chance girl/girl or boy/boy

    As far as delivery I'm a repeat csection. But most women don't even notice delivery of the placenta. It's very small compared to the baby. But if you delivery vaginally, yes you will deliver 2 babies and 2 placentas.
    keshakdavis
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards