August 2015 Moms

Am I overreacting??????

I have a question for you ladies...... Is it rude to ask guest to wash their hands before touching your newborn? This is my third baby! I've always had guest wash up in the past but it wasn't that big a deal because we may have had one guest the entire time. We now live in a state where we have more family so I know that means more guests. I just hate that I have to ask grown people to wash their hands before touching my unvaccinated, never been-here before baby! Oh and I am against hand sanitizer; I just never been a fan of it! Am I going overboard with this request? Do you guys do the same?

Re: Am I overreacting??????

• You're not overreacting. I plan on doing the same.
  • No way, dude. I make everyone was also.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Loading the player...
  • Miz_LizMiz_Liz member
    edited August 2015
    Just aren't rude about it when you ask and it is NBD. If you say it like, "Oh would you mind washing your hands first? Not calling you dirty, just what our pediatrician recommended for all visitors until he/she is old enough to get vaccinated," people shouldn't be offended. If you snap at them if they go near the baby and say, "Wash your hands first!" then they may be annoyed. My SIL is a real B and she was rude about it with people and it put a bad taste in our mouths - NOT because we minded doing it (or didn't plan to do it anyway), but because of how rude she was about it. I ask people and have never had anyone seem offended, but again, it is all in how it is presented.
  • Absolutely not! Most people will be happy to be reminded.

• I think most people wash their hands first regardless... At least that's been my experience with my friends/family.

But no, I don't think it's an unreasonable request
  • I didn't think so but its nice to hear other mommas doing the same!!!
  • You have made me feel ALOT better darling! Sorry about your pillow!!!!
  • I don't think you are overreacting at all. I think most people expect to wash their hands before holding a new baby. Overreacting is my cousin who made you wash your hands every time you touched the baby even if you hadn't left the room.
  • Nope, just politely ask guests to wash their hands before holding / touching baby. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and if they do then their loss.
  • Oh man, am I the only one who doesn't ask this? I guess it's just never really crossed my mind. Just call me dirty Debbie ;)
  • I plan on keeping hand sanitizer next to me and squirting it on anyone's hands that comes close. Effective and I don't have to ask and also I'm paranoid they won't wash very well.
  • I've always heard moms who've had several children say that they quit caring as much by the second or third child, and that FTMs are generally more cautious about any possible thing that could go wrong. I don't think you're overreacting. I probably won't be all that concerned, but then anyone who will be holding my baby (my family and friends) are all adults and have good sense about it.
  • I'll probably remind everyone to wash their hands but yes in a nice way. And if anyone is sick I'm going to insist they stay away untill they aren't contagious anymore. You arnt overacting at all.
  • You aren't overreacting at all. I'm a very germphobia person, I don't like for people to touch me in general to let along think about them touching a newborn baby. I haven't figured out how I'm going to handle it at the hospital, most likely I will require everyone who wants to come in contact with our baby boy to wash their hands right before holding him as well as warn them if they try to kiss his face, it will be the last time they come in contact with him for a while especially if they have been forewarned ahead of time.