August 2015 Moms
Options

UK vs US

Sorry to seem naive or even stupid... BUT i am curious... i know this site is originally US. But ive seen so many posts lately of dilating mothers... example: youve dilated 1cm at 32 weeks.... are expectant mothers asessed differently in US compared to UK?. Our check ups consist of blood pressure check, measuring the bump top to bottom, urine check and palpating - feel position of baby. What differences are there in US?

Re: UK vs US

• Options
    I guess it varies, but I'm in the US and my appointments are just like you described. They don't do cervical checks at my office until past your due date. I will say I'm getting a little curious as I'm almost at 40 weeks at this point, but I'm not going to get one until my next appointment.
  • Options
    pathowerpathower member
    edited August 2015
    I'm in the US and all mine has been is blood pressure and temp check, measuring from top to bottom, and most recently palpatations. The only time I had my urine tested was in the beginning and when I had a kidney infection. I guess the hospital/doctor I have is different. They haven't even done a cervical check. Which I'm grateful about.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In the U.S. It depends on the circumstances and the individual OB, my appointments haven't consisted of any cervical checks, they actually go exactly how you have described yours plus a heart beat check and I am currently 36 weeks. I don't think my OB does them until 38 weeks. Ask your doctor when they plan on starting cervical checks for dilation/effacement. They might not do them until later in the pregnancy or they may not do them at all
  • Options
    Ooooh ok. Thanks. I felt stupid asking... but i just got a bit paranoid thinking oh god has my midwife left out a crucial part of my checks. Il ask her thursday. Il be 37 + 4 by then. And yes i get doppler (heartbeat) checks too.. forgot that part.
  • Options
    Mine are the same as you described. I had my first cervical check yesterday at 38wk5d.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    Your appointments sound just like mine. Some doctors in the US start doing cervical checks towards the end and some don't. A lot of people refuse them because of the risk of infection and because it's uncomfortable and doesn't necessarily tell you anything.
  • Options
    My apts were temp, blood pressure and weight. Followed by listening to the heartbeat and question time. That was it never once measured or had a cervical check
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    In Germany you have your urine checked, weighed, blood pressure checked, sometimes blood taken and an ultrasound every appointment. Starting at 30 I started having the stress test instead of ultrasounds. Also at 38 weeks I had a cervix check.
  • Options
    My appointments are pretty much the same. My Dr. will offer a cervical check to see if you're dilated after 36 weeks. I think its an anxious american thing. Everyone needs to know WHEN their baby is coming and they think the cervical check will give them some insight. Truth is, with my first kid i was dilated to 2 cm's for 5 weeks and delivered 10 days late, so I'd rather skip the pain of the cervical check and she wait for this one to show up
  • Options
    907_baby907_baby member
    edited August 2015
    I'm in the US, and mine seem to be even less involved than others in the US. I am going through a very low intervention midwifery clinic and birth center though.
    I have not had to leave a urine sample since my first appointment. I get BP & weight checked, fundal height measurement, doppler of heart rate, questions and development conversation addressed.
    I had one early blood result come back abnormal, so I have had to have blood drawn every 4 weeks to check for any increase in titer- but this is not standard. It was because my case was different. Otherwise the blood work at the beginning and then the GD screening would have been the only blood work.
    Cervical checks are not typically done until DD, unless there is a concern earlier.
    Joey 06.05.2010, MC Jan 2014-EDD 09.11.2014, Aurelia 08.24.2015 (lost twin ~12 weeks), Ectopic Loss Feb 2016, EDD 01.03.2018
  • Options
    I have a homebirth CNM. I do weight, urine, doppler, palpations, BP, and then a lengthy chat.
  • Options
    Mine sound the same as yours. My doctor will only do a cervical check at 41 weeks if we have to schedule an induction at 42w.

I'm imagining the payment portion is different In the UK

• Options
    In france we get the same as you OP. Don't worry :)