August 2015 Moms
Options

Birth Control

So what do you plan on using after baby, if any? I used the pill for years, then after DD I had Mirena. A year later, I had a miscarriage and found out that the Mirena was gone. I am reluctant to try that again, but am not sure about the pill either because I dont want to effect my milk supply. Hubby is considering a vasectomy, which sounds good to me at this point, but I could also see myself wanting to try one more time for a boy in a few years. Hubby thinks he is too tired for a third, but he is also looking for another job (the current one is too exhausting with crazy long hours and a ridiculous amount of physical labor.)
What did you use and like or dislike or plan on using and why?

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

Re: Birth Control

• Options
    I'll be going with the implanon. Honestly, I'm done having kids. However, my husband is still on the fence so this is my way of compromising. After the three years I hope to get my tubes tied. I had a terrible experience with the mirena so I will never go that route again and BCP's tend to have terrible side effects for me (even though I was on BCP's for years before DS).
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thats another reason why Im trying to shy away from the pill. I get nasty migraines, and the pill makes them worse.

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never been on birth control and I know after this LO ill need to do something so we dont end up with irish twins!! DH and I believe this is our only one as we have DSD as well, but we dont want him to go the vasectomy route either just in case. I cant decide what to do until we decide he is ready for it.
  • Options
    I haven't completely decided. I had the copper IUD prior to DS, and then had Mirena prior to this baby, but didn't like the side effects I was feeling with Mirena. I'm also not good with BC pills, so I might go back to the copper IUD and deal with the heavy periods. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They do have a reversible vasectomy too (don't know a lot about it).. Not sure if hubby would be up for that but it may be an option!
  • Options
    I was on BC pills for years and loved it - the only three periods a year kind. I started ovulating the month I stopped taking them. I know it's different for everyone but I had a very positive experience. I don't want to mess with milk supply so I can't start back right after baby sadly. My doctor said the mini pill only works if you are super duper strict about it. I don't want to get an IUD, but I can also see us being pretty lax with condoms....

H will get a vasectomy when we are done with babies. My guess is we will do mini pill plus condoms

• Options
    Probably going back on the mini pill while breastfeeding
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I believe DH will be getting a vasectomy.

Part of me wants to just keep having babies forever. But I know that's not realistic and I do feel like our family is complete right now. We need to talk about it more but that's what we're leaning towards.
  • Options
    I'm going to be looking into the mini pill, I haven't heard about it.

I'll probably go back on the pill but a different one than before. I was on seasonique (4 periods a year) but when I stopped taking it and was ready for a baby, it took nearly a year for my cycle to regulate.
  • Options
    I'll probably get a diaphragm. The hardest part is finding pharmacies that still stock it but I don't really want hormonal birth control or to pay for condoms and trust that in the moment we'd use them. If DH wants something more permanent, he's free to go under the knife...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning to get an IUD. We are done having babies but I am just scared to make it permanent right now. Eventually i will get my tubes tied.
  • Options
    After several years of taking the pill, I decided it wAs DH's turn to deal with contraception. We used condoms after DD (also as I didn't want to use anything hormonal while BFing). I had to remind him almost every time to get one. The third or fourth time I couldn't be bothered reminding him, I got pregnant.

I am definitely done with kids after this one and I am refusing to mess with my body any more - I've taken buttloads of synthetic hormones in my life and put my body through two pregnancies and soon two births. If DH wants sex ever again in future, he will be booking himself in for a vasectomy as soon as our second kid looks like it's going to survive beyond a year. I think that's only fair!
  • Options
    I'm going to be using a mini pill since I will be breastfeeding. Just a thought, maybe wait a while before deciding for sure on the vasectomy. Right after having a baby isn't the time to make that major decision from what I'm told from friends.
  • Options
    None here. I want one more baby and sooner rather than later since I will be AMA next time. After #4 I will get my tubes tied if it's a csection.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    The mirena gave me cancer so I won't be going that route.

Lo loestrin fe (1g/10mcg) is safe while breastfeeding and is more reliable than the mini pill. You need the Lo loestrin one not just loestrin, which is not BFing compatible. I only had day long periods with it :) and was able to get pregnant after 45 days off the pill.

I've been trying to convince the husband to get a V done but he's not going for it. Partly because he'd like one more. He can go find a concubine for that shit. I'm done carrying babies lol
  • Options

After several years of taking the pill, I decided it wAs DH's turn to deal with contraception. We used condoms after DD (also as I didn't want to use anything hormonal while BFing). I had to remind him almost every time to get one. The third or fourth time I couldn't be bothered reminding him, I got pregnant.

I am definitely done with kids after this one and I am refusing to mess with my body any more - I've taken buttloads of synthetic hormones in my life and put my body through two pregnancies and soon two births. If DH wants sex ever again in future, he will be booking himself in for a vasectomy as soon as our second kid looks like it's going to survive beyond a year. I think that's only fair!

Are you wanting to wait a year due to SIDS risks? I want to get my tubes tied but am also terrified of SIDS because we had some very close friends lose their baby.. I hadn't even thought of just waiting a year..obviously another baby could never replace one lost but to never have any more after a loss would be devastating for me.
  • Options
    We are planning to try for #2 when #1 is about a year old, so we are just planning to use condone. I don't see a point in pumping a bunch of hormones into my body just to go off the pill after less than a year!
  • Options
    I'm done after this one, which is #3 for us. I was originally thinking of getting my tubes tied. I don't want to go back on the pill and I don't want an IUD. But I've asked my hubby to get a vasectomy, he won't commit though. So my guess is that I will be getting my tubes tied because he won't go under the knife. Hoping he'll come around, but we are running out of time!
  • Options
    Condoms for us. Neither DH nor I want to undergo surgery yet and I have a history of birth control pills not working. Plus with having cholestasis in multiple pregnancies, it limits my options since the higher risk in liver damage.
  • Options
    I'm not sure. Condoms? I guess this is something I should think about. The plan is to wait a few years to be sure we are done (which I'm pretty sure we are...). I don't want to do anything permanent till we are sure though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I get all side effects with BC, ive tried almost all of them except the IUD. I wanted to tie my tubes, but after DS was struggling after delivery, I wasnt focused on it. Not sure what Ill do..

• Options
    @toccoaparker I guess that's the reason... I hadn't really given it that much thought but it would seem like Jumping the gun to get it done immediately after the baby is born - like tempting fate maybe??
  • Options
    Still not sure what to do.. Not a fan of the way hormonal BC's affect me, so leaning towards a copper IUD. Not sure though bc I've always had heavier periods as it is, not sure I need them heavier! And I've obviously heard so horror stories and still want to have more babies. I know DH and I would never commit to condoms, so we'll see!
  • Options
    DH got a vasectomy a month or so ago.
    imageLilypie - (d9io)
    imageLilypie - (3w4O)
  • Options
    I am thinking about getting the implanon.  My doctor told me that the pill does affect your milk supply unless you go with the progesterone only pill...in which case I suck at remembering to take pills anyways.  I loved the patch but I believe that has estrogen in it. I don't want to mess with IUDs at all (heard WAY too many horror stories).  After about 3-5 years we will reassess to see if we want any more kids and if the answer is no then we probably will go with a more permanent measure of birth control.   
  • Options
    Me and my hubby want this to be our only baby. I want to get my tubes tied but being only 23 with one child, they typically say no. I'm not sure what to go with since I'll be BF. I want something safe for her ans that will work for me.
  • Options
    Condoms, condoms, condoms. They are just as effective as other forms if used properly. I didn't want to do hormonal birth control before and, I especially don't want to now after my extremely active sister developed a blood clot while using the NuvaRing. And besides, condoms have worked for us for the nine years we've been together. The two (yes, only two!) times we didn't use one, I've gotten pregnant.
  • Options
    I'm going with Mirena this time and hoping for the best. Unfortunately i used the pill successfully for 17 years until the day it stopped succeeding in Dec 2014. Hubby refuses to get snipped and I'm not putting my body thru doing it as all of my friends experienced a difficult recovery, so we'll try something new.

P.S they make pills that are safe for breastfeeding
  • Options
    I'm thinking of going with the depo provera shot again. I used this while BF DS1 and never had any problems.

I'm also not planning on having any more babies, so I'm not worried about having difficulty getting pregnant after stopping the shot.
  • Options
    I'm going with condoms and the mini pill. I got pregnant with this LO while on the pill but I was slacking with taking it so I figured we better double up on birth control to be safe. Although we've never used condoms since we've been together so we'll see how that goes.
  • Options
    I'm doing mini pill until I can get the mirena IUD placed as I'm breastfeeding. Once done BF if I hate the IUD I would go back on regular pill which worked great for me in the past. Mini pill scares me since you have to be really strict about taking it on time and I don't think I can do that reliably once I return to work.
  • Options
    I've been wondering what others were going to use. I started my period 6 weeks after DS was born (even though I was exclusively BF) so we want to be very careful this time around. I had the copper IUD before DS and used a contraceptive gel after but the gel isn't super effective (like 70% or something). My OB recommended Mirena but it gets such mixed reviews and I have a reaction to hormonal BC so I'm nervous to try it. Right now our plan is condoms :( until we come up with something better.
  • Options
    I had a mirena before and loved it (no periods ever on it) so that is the plan again as we want at least 1 more since this was our first!