January 2016 Moms

Chiropractor for newborn

2»

Re: Chiropractor for newborn

• I'm not a fan of chiropractors in general- I think it's a BS practice that only leads to more issues, thus necessitating more chiropractic care. I can not imagine this could in any way be beneficial to a newborn or infant, and I would side-eye a pediatrician who suggested it. 

@Yiggle09 the issue you're describing sounds like the baby needed some type of physical therapy to correct a side preference or tortocollis. 
    Chiropractic care does not lead to a NEED for further treatment. It more becomes a preference to be feeling good and functioning at your highest level. There are no "more issues" that getting a good chiropractic treatment can cause. Your nervous system will function at its highest level when your spine is in alignment. Does chiropractic care cure diseases? No. Are there extremes in the profession who may make claims that it does? Yes. Even doing a little research or a free consultation at a good, reputable chiro would teach skeptics like you a lot about the profession and make you see that not everybody is on that extreme end of the spectrum.
    Pain is the last sensation that your body will relay to you. If you are properly aligned and adjusted proactively you will be a lot less likely to be in pain. The same goes for a baby. Why wait until they are crying or unable to sleep? A good chiro would do an exam and check the spine. If there are misalignments they would explain and adjust. You don't adjust without purpose.
    Also, have you researched chiropractic care and torticollis? Probably not.
  • Ckh1234 said:

I'm not a fan of chiropractors in general- I think it's a BS practice that only leads to more issues, thus necessitating more chiropractic care. I can not imagine this could in any way be beneficial to a newborn or infant, and I would side-eye a pediatrician who suggested it. 

@Yiggle09 the issue you're describing sounds like the baby needed some type of physical therapy to correct a side preference or tortocollis. 
    I have it and the only care I've ever sought for it is chiropractic care, and I haven't researched it. I'm not sure if you're saying it is or is not recommended for the condition. Links? Dr. Google thinks it's a solid treatment for flareups based on the last three minutes of my life.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ckh1234 said:
    I'm not a fan of chiropractors in general- I think it's a BS practice that only leads to more issues, thus necessitating more chiropractic care. I can not imagine this could in any way be beneficial to a newborn or infant, and I would side-eye a pediatrician who suggested it. 

Chiropractic care does not lead to a NEED for further treatment. It more becomes a preference to be feeling good and functioning at your highest level. There are no "more issues" that getting a good chiropractic treatment can cause. Your nervous system will function at its highest level when your spine is in alignment. Does chiropractic care cure diseases? No. Are there extremes in the profession who may make claims that it does? Yes. Even doing a little research or a free consultation at a good, reputable chiro would teach skeptics like you a lot about the profession and make you see that not everybody is on that extreme end of the spectrum. Pain is the last sensation that your body will relay to you. If you are properly aligned and adjusted proactively you will be a lot less likely to be in pain. The same goes for a baby. Why wait until they are crying or unable to sleep? A good chiro would do an exam and check the spine. If there are misalignments they would explain and adjust. You don't adjust without purpose. Also, have you researched chiropractic care and torticollis? Probably not.
    As a medical professional myself, I don't agree with utilizing chiropractic care. IMO, there are more valid treatment options. And if I won't use it for myself, I'm certainly not going to consider it for a newborn. Babies were made to be birthed. It's as simple as that. 

Just not my thing.
  • I don't really understand how a medical professional can discredit chiropractic care. I was having these terrible pains like a stabbing sensation in my head. My doctor examined me and said that it was most likely an inflamed or pinched nerve and recommended that I visit a chiro to see if that helped. I hadn't considered going until it was suggested by her but I'm glad I did. Your body is made of bones and nerves and sometimes things get out of line and twist or pinch, it's only normal. I think that a great doctor would see the benefits in interdisciplinary care to achieve optimal health.

Now as for a baby, I've already said that I wasn't sure about it all. Especially for a newborn. DS had a torticolis which we were lucky healed on its own.
  • I don't really understand how a medical professional can discredit chiropractic care. I was having these terrible pains like a stabbing sensation in my head. My doctor examined me and said that it was most likely an inflamed or pinched nerve and recommended that I visit a chiro to see if that helped. I hadn't considered going until it was suggested by her but I'm glad I did. Your body is made of bones and nerves and sometimes things get out of line and twist or pinch, it's only normal. I think that a great doctor would see the benefits in interdisciplinary care to achieve optimal health. Now as for a baby, I've already said that I wasn't sure about it all. Especially for a newborn. DS had a torticolis which we were lucky healed on its own.

Eh, it's fine with me if you don't understand. I don't really feel like typing multiple paragraphs about why I choose not to partake. If it makes other people feel better, or they think it works for them - great! Just not something I would do.
  • I haven't read any responses though I can guess what they are. I wouldn't be opposed to gentle, specialized manipulation for my kids, even as newborns, as long as it seems like they really need it. A true infant-specialized chiro will NOT pop or crack a baby, but gently press and massage to manipulate the areas needing work. Of course babies are meant to be born, but I know many children and infants who've greatly benefitted from chiropractic care. I'd never rule it out, I love the chiro for me. 

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Ckh1234 said:

I have it and the only care I've ever sought for it is chiropractic care, and I haven't researched it. I'm not sure if you're saying it is or is not recommended for the condition. Links? Dr. Google thinks it's a solid treatment for flareups based on the last three minutes of my life.

No! I'm saying it is good!! Sorry for the confusion. I am a chiropractor. I'm glad that you have found success!
  • The question was for people who have or people who plan on taking their children. If you never have or even researched the topic then your advice is not benefiting me or other's at all. Unless your a doctor which I don't think many of you are. I appreciate all the feedback from the moms that have taken their children or have experience with others that have. Obviously it's something I'm interested in so bashing something because your not educated on it or are afraid of someone touching your child to hard you defeat the purpose of the post.
  • The question was for people who have or people who plan on taking their children. If you never have or even researched the topic then your advice is not benefiting me or other's at all. Unless your a doctor which I don't think many of you are. I appreciate all the feedback from the moms that have taken their children or have experience with others that have. Obviously it's something I'm interested in so bashing something because your not educated on it or are afraid of someone touching your child to hard you defeat the purpose of the post.
    Just an FYI telling people who and who can't reply in your posts doesn't generally go over well here. I agree that it's annoying when people come into your post wihtout researching or without the experience or the knowledge, I'd just be careful how you phrase it. 

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • blessitBeeblessitBee member
    edited August 2015
    @monaclemere I don't have a strict rule. The post was not how you feel about it , but to be informed by those who do to provide that information to women who may be interested. This was not a how are you feeling today post. It was very specified. How is saying I will never do that because it seems totally pointless educating someone on something they don't know much about. I said thank you to the people who responded based of their experience, and if being a nurse qualified you then thank you.

I'm sorry but be clear this is not English class I'm not doing this for a grade. I have my degree's but thanks for the correction. I was half sleep when writing. I hope you have a blessed and wonderful pregnancy please don't take it to heart it just a community board.

@je&moeder thanks I see that. It was not meant in a who can't reply but more in a why bash something you have never tried because your unfamiliar. You could just say oh no its not for me but people really want to discredit others professions for no reason.
  • Before this becomes a post about nothing to do with the topic . I apologize if I offended anyone. Not being educated on a topic is totally different then not being educated at all. So in no way was I calling anyone uneducated in life.
  • Like a pp, I took our son to a chiro a few times while we were in the midst of serious reflux issues. We were trying tried different reflux meds and weren't getting anywhere. After some research I figured I'd go for it. I'd never been to a chiro but my parents had and it helped them. It seemed to help DS's reflux. As an aside, he was a big baby, we had a long induced labor and finally had to use a vac. It was a very subtle manipulation and he was even squawking beforehand and seemed to relax and feel relief afterwards. Not that it's proof but being there witnessing it was somewhat remarkable. Of course it's hard to say exactly what caused his reflux to go away, but it def didn't hurt. This Chiro had worked with babies and had all sorts of success stories posted up in the office, good reviews etc. There is a database you can check to see which ones have pedi experience. I'm sorry I don't have the link now. Hope that helps!

imageimageimage