April 2015 Moms
Options

Postpartum Sex...it exists?

Yes it's happened, but I can count on one hand how many times its happend and still have room to spare. I've read posts and articles about postpartum moms who lack the desire to be intimate with their significant other, but what do you do when this isn't the case? What do you do when your husband doesn't want you?

Pretty much from the time I started to show during my pregnancy he was no longer interested in having sex. And honestly that was okay with me. I was one of those pregnant women who didn't want to be touched. And later after discussing this he admitted he was "weirded" out while I was pregnant and just didn't have the desire to do the deed.

But now, at almost 4 months postpartum I'm frustrated and lonely. The few times we have had sex I always initiated it. Then after being rejected 2x, I now don't have the courage to even try.

But let me rewind to my own self image. During my pregnancy I gained 62 pounds! I know, that's a lot. But I'm also 6' tall. Now I've lost 37lbs so far. However, I still hate how I look. I struggle with it daily. But I read and talked to other new moms and they all agreed they struggled with this as well. But the majority ruled that your significant other would think you were beautiful and attractive. After all you did just bring his child into the world! Plus he really wouldn't be thinking about any of that between the sheets anyway. (In my case that was horribly wrong and let's face it we can't even get to the sheets part...)

Now fast forward to the current issue. Honestly, deep down, I knew it. He no longer found me attractive. But after crying myself to sleep for several nights I finally asked what was wrong. The room was silent. He didn't want to admit it. I admitted to being lonely and willing to do whatever it took to fix it. Still silence. I then asked if breastfeeding made him uncomfortable...I could always just pump or go in a different room. (I know bf should not be shameful. I'm a huge bf advocate, but you do what you have to do.) Thankfully he said that wasn't it. Next I asked if my weight made him feel differently. He's response was that it did, but he knew it shouldn't. In his defense you can't help how you "feel" and he did stress the fact that he still loved me. But how long until that fades too? I mean without a mutual attraction, we're just really good friends... I offered to try harder to lose the weight (as if hating my body wasn't enough motivation already), but I know my body will never be exactly like it was before a baby.

Sorry that my post is long. And you maybe asking what is the question.

Honestly, the post is something that I just needed to write down and get off my chest.
But I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem or has advice.

And if you feel the need to make a rude comment about my sob story, please refrain and move on to the next person and remember kindness goes a long way.

Thanks,

Re: Postpartum Sex...it exists?

• Options
    my problem is your opposite.... my husband wants to hav sex but i dont feel like it and i don't enjoy sex anymore:(
  • Options
    Is it just that you are uncomfortable or just not in the mood. While I was pregnant I had no desire to be touched and never thought about it much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry your husband feels that way. Maybe it will just take some adjustment time. Don't push yourself to lose the weight fast. Stay fed, hydrated, and happy for yourself and LO :)
  • Options
    Thank you for your support!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! I'm struggling with body image issues as well. I gained a lot too. I'm totally here for support or someone to vent to
  • Options
    I gained 70 lbs while being pregnant and I'm really struggling to lose the last thirty. I'm the one In my relationship who does not want to be touched because of my self image. But I also don't feel attracted to my BF because he also gained a lot of weight with me being pregnant. I'm not superficial because weight has never been a problem for me while dating. I've dated bigger guys. But the fact that he just let himself go really bothers me. Especially the fact that while I'm trying so hard to lose my weight and he just keeps bumming around and eating whatever he wants. Sex just isn't a big deal to me anymore and I can live without it.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're having troubles. I am 6 foot also but I was overweight already when I started my pregnancy. I only gained 33 pounds and I shed them within 2 weeks of giving birth but now that I'm back at work and don't have time to cook anymore, I've gained nearly 20 pounds back. I know how you feel. Maybe joining a group fitness class would help? Support with the weight loss and time for yourself occasionally. It's hard but it took us 9 months to gain the weight, it should take a bit to lose it too (and keep it off). Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you all. I've been walking/running 2 miles this week. I think it's hard for me to come to terms with bc I was small and athletic until I was pregnant. I used my pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted. The food was great but I'm paying for it now. I think his feelings towards me bothers me the most. I mean I just had a baby no I'm not gonna magically drop the weight.

Thank you all for your support and kind words.
  • Options
    Sorry that you are going through this. You have lost a lot of weight already. Doing it slowly with eating right and exercising is the way to go. You are on the right track. It seems to be more your husband's problem. Know that it is a temporary thing. His loss if he doesn't want sex!

• Options
    So sorry you're dealing with this! I understand the body image issues...I was also very active and felt pretty good about my body before I got pregnant. I gained 45 lbs, and although I'm breastfeeding, go to the gym 4 days/week and am pretty active, I have only lost 10 lbs. My pregnancy did a number on my back and joints so I ended up with a meniscal tear in my knee and some nerve compression in my hips and back so I'm in physical therapy and limited by what I can do. It is so frustrating to work so hard and not see results! But you have to give yourself some credit- your body just experienced major changes in a very short period of time. Also, I don't know about you, but Throughout my pregnancy, people told me the weight would just melt off once I started breastfeeding. I believe that is false...everyone is different and I feel like my body holds on to every calorie because I am always starving. A lot of my friends said they didn't lose the weight until after their babies weaned off breast milk. I know how hard it is to stare in the mirror and hate what you see...but I do feel incredibly proud that I produced and continue to nourish this beautiful, healthy baby. You should too. Just give yourself some time and acceptance and you will get there. As far as your husband, maybe you two can stay active together, so that you are both participating in returning to normal...I know my partner liked my body better pre baby, but he sees the hard work and effort and all the things I sacrifice for baby and he says it's a different kind of love now....Hang in there. :)
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm having the same issues with my knees and left hip. I agree completely about breastfeeding... I'm always starving!