June 2015 Moms

What breast pumping gear/supplies do you use?

So I've been pumping and storing milk for when I go back to work and am curious to know what pumping supplies you guys use...

Is there a particular product that is making your BP life easier?

Are there some things you purchased that you could have done without?

Below are the few things that I'm currently using...
1. I have the Medela Pump n Style which I love!! So easy to use!

2. Hands free pumping bra- currently I am using an old sports bra that I cut two holes in. Lol it's working fine but is the actual "hands free pumping bra" worth the $$?

3. Milk Storage Bags- I'm using the Lansinoh bags which I love aside from the fact that there's no pour spout which can cause spillage and they are somewhat thin. I used the Medela bags that came with my pump which I HATED!! They were so bulky when frozen.

4. Pump Falanges( I think that's what they're called)- I have the Falanges that came with my pump but have seen some other crazy ones out there...

Re: What breast pumping gear/supplies do you use?

• I have a Medela pump and bought a second one used for work so I don't have to cart mine back and forth every day. I'm more excited about that than I should be. I also hated the Medela bags.

The only thing that makes pumping better is my smartphone and Kindle. :)
  • These! Throw them in the microwave for 13 seconds each and they are a game changer. They feel great and make pumping much faster, at least for me. Worth every penny.
    https://m.target.com/p/lansinoh-therapearl-3-in-1-breast-therapy/-/A-14386190
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the Medela PISA as well. I bought the hands free bra through Amazon, it's well worth it for me! Using up the last of my Medela bags and then I have some Lansinoh to use, but someone suggested the Nuk bags to me so I figure I'll try those next. Pumping exclusively, I've got about 75 oz in the freezer and LO is 5 weeks old, so I'm making progress even if it is slow! I bought an extra set of flanges and valves, it makes the MOTN pump a thousand times easier because I just chuck parts in the sink to be washed with bottles in the morning.

Hubby thinks my freezer supply is awesome, he drinks 12 packs of pop and cuts the top off the boxes so I can store the BM by date in there. Love it!
  • Medela PISA and I'm working off some medela freezer bags I got at my shower...but I don't love them. I'd like to find an easier to pour option.

I want a second set of pump parts but I'm trying to figure out the proper size for the horn thing...I've been using the medium that it came with but just ordered smalls to try. With the medium, especially on my left boob, a LOT of areola gets sucked in and it's painful enough that I can't go more than half speed. Hopefully the small will work better.

I have the lansinoh pumping bra and it's fine.
  • I use the PIS as well..works well enough for me!

I love the steam sterilizer bags from medela.

I also LOVE the NUK freezer bags. They make the Lansinoh feel like cheap thin grocery bags. They are much thicker and I heard they are much more sturdy with defrosting.

The hands free pumping bra is a must for me. When I hold the pumps I get no milk. For some reason it exerts the perfect amount of pressure where it's not too hard but not too soft. I have to buy another one.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I started out with the Ameda Purely Yours, and I do like that it's a closed system, but after a month I went I bought a PISA--love it. I have Medela bags to pump into when I'm out of clean bottles, but I agree with everyone else, they really suck. Lansinoh bags have been great. I bought a Medela handsfree bra because it was on clearance, but the Lansinoh bra looked like a better design. I've only tried pumping while driving once, but I'm going to need to do it a lot more once I'm back full time.

The biggest pumping problem I have currently is with organizing the bags. I'm storing them in soda boxes in the deep freezer, but I have over 400 oz, and it's just hard to keep it organized and have food in there.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • I EP and am using the Medela Freestyle. I'm thinking I hate it. I'm getting a PIS Sunday. Hoping it will work better!!
  • I have the pis I have 2 hands free bras. One nice one and one cheaper one both more than worth the money. I have an extra set of flanges that I'm going to leave at work I got the quick clean wipes also for work, a battery pack and a car charger for the pump too. I seriously might pump on my way home because I think that would be a great use of my 20 minute commute time. I actually like the Medela bags, I like that I can pump directly into them with the adapter thing. I also have the Lani tosh ones as well. I have over 50 Oz stored for lo and I go back to work tomorrow. Trying to really set myself up for success at pumping at work. I'm going to try and wean off in march and I would love to have enough stored to get to June for her. Hands free bra was the biggest game changer for me. I will have to try the hot compress though. I think I have some in my pumping stuff.
  • seeseaseesea member
    I had the Medela PIS which worked great but after a lot of use I was worried about its effectiveness. I got the Spectra S2 and I love it!!! I like that it's a closed system so it's more hygienic. There's a letdown button like the PIS but you could adjust vacuum and speed, it has timer, a little night light and it's really quiet! Also, with some modifications I'm able to use my Medela parts which I have a lot of. I have at least three sets of valves, connectors and flanges.

For storage I've been using Lansinoh bags. I don't love or hate them but I found that the Target brand storage bags seem more sturdy and are a bit cheaper. So once I go through my Lansinoh bags I'm getting Target ones.

For hands free pumping I use a sports bra with holes and it does the job. I also have Rumina tank tops and bras which is great for pumping and nursing. So there's no need to strap something on when it's time to pump. I also wear them to work which helps cut down time during my very limited pumping breaks.

@KonaCoffeeBean you have more than 400oz in your stash?! I'm so jealous! Like you, I think organizing is my biggest problem.

So far I've been freezing the bags flat and storing them sideways in shoebox sized clear plastic containers. I have them organized by dates and I've labeled the containers. It works for now but once I start using the stash it seems like it'll be a pain in the ass to keep it organized.
  • mtav22mtav22 member
    @cheriep3 definitely going to get some of those anything that helps speed up the process is worth my money lol thanks!!!
  • mtav22mtav22 member
    @CillyMama that's how I'm storing mine too but also think that once I start using the stash it's going to get all messy. Wish there was an organizing system already made.
  • I had to buy a deep freezer for my BM. Only 250oz now but I plan on almost 600 by the time I go back to work in September so...if we wanted frozen food we needed to bite the bullet. It comes on Monday. I have to transfer all the milk cross town when we move this weekend and I'm stressing about any of it somewhat defrosting. But I'm more concerned about the power going out and losing my stash from hurricanes/storms. All this about breastmilk...who would've thunk it...
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I EP, so pumping is my life.

I have 2 PISAs, one set up next to my couch at home, and one in the backpack that I take when I pump other places. I have a car adapter in the bag.

I have 4 holey sports bras I made for hands free pumping. I wear them 24/7 with the lansinoh nursing pads and a regular nursing bra on top. I quickly realized I didn't want to change bras every 3 hours.

I use lansinoh freezer bags, which I freeze flat and put into gallon bags. Each gallon bag has 60 oz in it. (Some of my freezer bags are filled with 4 oz, some 5 oz, and some 6oz). I don't have a deep freezer, so I take the bags to my mom's house across town for her deep freezer. I don't know how she has them organized beyond the gallon bags. :)

I have 4 sets of flanges and other pump parts. It's so nice, overnight especially, to have my next set of supplies ready to go. When I start back to work at the end of August, I'll keep a set or 2 in the backpack pump bag.

I also use the Medela microwave sanitizing bags and wipes.

• It's liquid gold... Everytime I see an ounce at the bottom of the bottle I get a little angry that it went to waste... lol. Geez I would love to have 250oz I mean I feel really confident with the 50 I got but still.
  • mcknzzee said:

Ok, all of you quite complaining. 50 freaking ounces? That's incredible. You know what i've got? Enough for his next feed! Lol

Lol I'm with you. I have a grand total of probably 6 oz frozen, and 3 bottles. I better get on this pumping for the stash. I go back to work the Tuesday after Labor Day.
    Anyone have tips on how to get the stash built up?
  • seeseaseesea member
    So I looked up ways to organize frozen breast milk and saw these on Pinterest. I'm thinking of trying the gift bag idea. The Milkies Freeze storage system looks pretty cool too. It holds about 60 oz but it costs $29 which can add up so I don't know if it's worth it.

@swiebe ideally to build up a stash you'd have to pump after every feeding. That doesn't work for me so I try to pump once or twice a day. In the morning and/ or in the middle of the night when I have the most milk.

imageimage
  • I use my pisa for some pumpings and a cheap electric one for the others. I exclusively pump and know that I was probably supposed to buy the hospital grade pump but we didn't have the money for it. We still haven't gotten all of our medical bills from the nicu.
    I am cheap and use the target storage bags, I have only had trouble with them once, but I don't think I sealed them correctly. I have been trying to rotate my stock lately. And like others I try to put the in gallon freezer bags so they have dates on them.
    I haven't gone back to work but if I do, I will probably need to invest in another pump for that.
  • @mcknzzee @swiebe my life revolves around pumping. There are days coming up where my LO will not BF for 24 hours at a time while I am at work so I have no choice but to have a giant stockpile. It can theoretically be depleted in 10 days. What's worked for me is pumping after every night feeding. It sucks ass but that's when you produce the most milk and I can get like 6-7oz after a feeding. It took me time to build up to that when I first started pumping I could only get like an oz each side. Grass is always greener, I wish I didn't have to do this and could just have a few bottles stashed for out and about time but such is life.
  • @mcknzzee @swiebe my life revolves around pumping. There are days coming up where my LO will not BF for 24 hours at a time while I am at work so I have no choice but to have a giant stockpile. It can theoretically be depleted in 10 days. What's worked for me is pumping after every night feeding. It sucks ass but that's when you produce the most milk and I can get like 6-7oz after a feeding. It took me time to build up to that when I first started pumping I could only get like an oz each side. Grass is always greener, I wish I didn't have to do this and could just have a few bottles stashed for out and about time but such is life.

@dancegurl1118 Logistical question, since I am struggling to build a stash and an returning to work in 2 weeks and it sounds like you have a successful system: What is the time frame btw your feeds and then pumping? I've been trying to pump after every feed, but feeding + getting LO takes at least an hr. I've been afraid that it would cut into the next feed's supply since he feeds every 2-3 hrs, so end up pumping only 1-2 times per day then DH is around to take him after a feed.
  • @charliepepper ill chime in and tell you what I do.
    I pump on a 6 hour schedule.
    4 am, 10am, 4pm .... Etc.
    It's nice to not feel tied to the pump all day.
    I found when I tried to pump after every feed I hardly got anything. This system yielded more for me.
  • I love the target bags. 2-3 sets of pump parts. Hands free bra. Small and xsmall flanges.

If you are heading back to work don't you only need a days worth of milk plus a little backup? 30-40 ounces? Obviously @dancegurl1118 needs a little more for 24 shifts. Am I missing something? You'll want to feed LO the freshly pumped milk from the day before. And you'll want to pump what they need daily to keep up your supply long term. This might mean sneaking in extra sessions.

I've been back at work 4 weeks. I've been able to stay ahead of LO. I pumped to start a small freezer stash and it meant my oversupply stuck around. I have to pump most mornings to clear it out to start the day, trying to get it under control now. I also thought I'd pump enough to quit early but realized that would take up way too much freezer space. One month = 750 ounces!

For those worried I get it. With my first I struggled with pumping but still managed to stay just ahead of him each day. We had a stash of about 20 oz max in the freezer but didn't need it until he weaned at 11 months.

@dancegurl1118 I also live in fear of loosing power. Can't imagine how devastating that would be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @charliepepper I usually pump after feeds, and when I first started pumping I made sure to continue until I had a second letdown while pumping, because that signals to your body to make more milk. Pumping after feeds during the day for me yielded very little milk and was more hassle than it was worth but pumping after night feeds (when your prolactin levels are higher) and after my first morning feed gets me about 10-15oz a day. Also if I get about 3 oz from a small day pumping session I save it for a feeding later that day so that I can pump in place of that feeding and have more to freeze (if I feed her 3 I can probably get 5-6 to freeze). I always pump directly after feeding as I have no time to space it out because she eats every 2 hours during the day.
  • cheriep3cheriep3 member
    edited July 2015
    @henrytviii how often are you pumping during the day since going back to work? I start back on Monday but I'm not sure how to set up a pumping schedule that will work.
  • My first 2 babies I made the mistake of having very little supply before I went back to work. This time I have stored 100 oz so far and go back in 6 weeks. It wasn't easy--lots
    Of work to get that! But now I think I will be less stressed.

I actually really like the Avent storage bags. I bought them because they were cheaper and prefer them to medela and lansinoh. I also could live without the medela steam clean bags and also really like their no scrub breastmilk soap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I EP. I have a PIS but I'm renting a symphony to establish supply & man, I love it so much I don't want to take it back!

I had to buy a deep freezer & I now have over 900oz stocked & LO just turned 2 months today. If any of you ladies have supply issues I definitely recommend renting the medela symphony. It's a game changer!

For me a hands free is a must! I'm using the medela bra but I don't recommend it. They wear way too quick. I'm using my second back up bra because the first one is so loose the flanges don't stay in place. I've read really good reviews on Simple Wishes Hands Free Bra & that's what I'll be buying next as soon as my current bra goes loose.

I use lansinoh bags & I really like them. I've tried medela bags but their too expensive & it's really hard to pour milk into a bottle without spilling milk all over the place.

I have extra pumping parts but I store my parts in the fridge between uses so I don't have to constantly wash them. I only use my back up parts if I'm feeling lazy & I skip putting the parts in the fridge right away.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    ♥  ♥  Mommy-To-Be to Baby #1 ♥  ♥ 
  • For the mamas who are EP and are building a stash, how many times a day are you pumping?
  • katyqv said:

For the mamas who are EP and are building a stash, how many times a day are you pumping?

7 or 8
  • queequeg09256queequeg09256 member
    edited August 2015
    I pump 5 to 6 but my boobs hold a huge amount I get 5oz out of each of them if I go 5 hours in between pumps. I don't have any kind of supply issue. The reason I stoked piled 50oz which I did by adding an extra night pump for a few days is I was reading blog about supply built options for pumping and going back to work one thing really resonated that when you go back there is a lot of confusion and you might not get to pump as much the first few days because of the craziness of everything I was only able to pump twice because of the timing.. so the blogger recommended having a 3 day supply built up for the amount of feedings you would miss so 3-4 feedings 15oz 45oz would be the magic number, this creates some room for meetings or a skipped pump those first few days and also gives the mama some peace of mind so she doesn't totally stress out and freak which can cause supply to deplete further. So I had about 20 but went and did some extra pumps to put another 40 or so in the freezer. I'm slowly bringing it out and trying to use it first since your milk changes with time as the baby grows. I hope this explains my craziness, I also made some lactation brownies and started eating those before starting my stash and I do think they helped.
  • I'm curious, anyone use or have opinions on the Kiinde breastfeeding system?  Looks like it has lots of good reviews and I remember it being mentioned at some point several months ago on a post here, but haven't seen it mentioned since then (I very well may have just missed more recent conversations about it).

Has anyone had trouble getting their body to respond to the pump?  I don't have a supply problem, but the only time I can get more than a few drops out is if I pump and nurse at the same time (then I can get a couple ounces at least).  So far I've only used the Medela Symphony hospital grade pump I rented for a month (I ordered a Medela Pump in Style Advanced through my insurance and still waiting to receive it).  I'm thinking my issue is trying to get my brain/body to respond to the pump like it would for my LO, but I'm worried that maybe it won't ever and if so, what sort of trouble I'll have when I return to work and can't nurse her during the day.

@cheriep3, from what I've learned reading and from talking to a lactation consultant, while at work, you want to pump around the same time you would normally feed your baby.  That way you're body is (hopefully) getting the same (or similar) signs to keep up the supply like it would if you were still nursing directly.  Then (theoretically speaking), that would then be fed to him/her the next day.
  • Sammy KSammy K member
    edited August 2015
    Never mind. I'm taking a nap now.
  • For those talking about how hard the bags are to pour, is it possible to just use clean scissors to cut off a bottom corner and pour that way?
  • ^^^^ yes. It's totally doable. Anything to make it easier. I'm going to tell my mother in law to either cut a spout from the top or bottom. No wasting my good milk!