February 2016 Moms

What's a good baptism gift?

The baby in question is a nine month old boy and apparently gifts are traditional? Can anyone give me a good idea? Thanks in advance!

Re: What's a good baptism gift?

• Personalized items
    Dd got quite a few bible children's books.
    Check out things remembered website.

Dd got something like this cross trinket box and it's my favorite thing she got.

People also give money.
  • Prayer books, children's bible, decorative crosses or picture frames, rosary if Catholic, or monetary gifts for baby's college fund, etc are a few ideas we've used.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies!
  • I always give a savings bond 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @inomniaparatus I had a bunch from my baptism...no idea where they ended up but they have to be worth a small fortune by now, right!! =)
  • I used a bunch my husband had to help pay for our wedding-- I feel really guilty about it now. I mean, obviously he agreed but I think I probably pressured him... but I was like 24 at the time 

I don't know what I did with mine, but I cashed them in at some point. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think using a baptism gift to pay for a wedding is quite sweet and appropriate actually. It marks the beginning of your life as a separate family. Maybe it's just me :-)
  • I think using a baptism gift to pay for a wedding is quite sweet and appropriate actually. It marks the beginning of your life as a separate family. Maybe it's just me :-)
    Thanks- that makes me feel better?
    Even more appropriate would be if we used them to invest in our child's college fund but you live and you learn :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One of our friends got my daughter a Baptism book that she really loves, but she is 4. I think books are great for all occassions though. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just putting this out there-- someone bought me a children's bible when I had my 1st communion and I thought it was the worst gift ever lol. What kid wants a bible? I don't know what a baptism book is though... and a 4 year old is way different than a 7 or 8 year old. 
    Then, years later, as I was cleaning out my closet, I felt like because I threw it out it was going to be my ticket straight to hell lol. 
    I don't know if you are supposed to throw out bibles but I totally did. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've done the savings bonds before, I've done the Bibles before too. I have my kids Bibles saved for when they get older as a keepsake, like an heirloom that can be passed down.
    Happily Married to Tim {10-11-2003}
    Isabella {09-02-05} & Savannah {03-02-07} & Bradley {02-06-10}

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Just putting this out there-- someone bought me a children's bible when I had my 1st communion and I thought it was the worst gift ever lol. What kid wants a bible? I don't know what a baptism book is though... and a 4 year old is way different than a 7 or 8 year old. 
    Then, years later, as I was cleaning out my closet, I felt like because I threw it out it was going to be my ticket straight to hell lol. 
    I don't know if you are supposed to throw out bibles but I totally did. 
    I don't know, when I got my first bible after my first communion, I was super stoked. Felt like I was an adult because it was "mine". It was a kids bible so the verbage was simplified and it had "characters" in it (i.e. Psalty, the Psalm Book), but I still have it.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Bfavors said:
    I don't know, when I got my first bible after my first communion, I was super stoked. Felt like I was an adult because it was "mine". It was a kids bible so the verbage was simplified and it had "characters" in it (i.e. Psalty, the Psalm Book), but I still have it. 
    We didn't have a bible in our house because my mom is a bad catholic and my dad a bad jew haha. 
    So, I just was like -- what is this book? Where's my money? lol
    I was OBSESSED with saving at that age. I think I made about 800 bucks from my communion so I thought I was rich. That's all I cared about haha. I can see if the bible is  part of your life, the kid liking it. 
    I think this relative just didn't know us very well. Totally depends on your family. So, my point is- just keep it in mind :)

I also just remembered that I got my first discman that day too- along with a Paula Abdul CD (that was my gift from my parents lol). How 1992! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For the love of all that is holy, do NOT buy a stuffed animal. My kids and every child I know has stuffed animals spewing out their ears. They are the most pointless thing ever. They usually end up stuffed in a closet and never looked at again.
  • @Twindling - stuffed animals can be hard to get rid of as well. Many charities won't take them.
  • notasycophantnotasycophant member
    edited August 2015
    I got my godson a "precious moments" bible. I had one as child and remember loving the illustrations.

Edited: sp
  • edited August 2015
    I like the idea of savings bonds. My grandmother bought some for me when I was little. After I was out of college, I cashed them in for a down payment on a car.
    Edit wording

• I'm not sure if this was just an issue in our state, but we couldn't get a savings bond for our nephews first communion this year unless his parents set up the account first. It wasn't something we could do ourselves and surprise them, and it required more planning ahead that we bargained for.
  • Most people gave a check for my son. I just gave the same to a friend's child who got baptized. However, I do think a good children's bible or book of bible stories is really nice. Something with not a lot of words and lots of pictures! My son got one but it is very word heavy so it's obviously not appropriate for a baby/toddler. I think something mom/dad can just tell the story while the kid is engaged with looking at pictures is nice if the child is very young when baptized. A cross for the baby's room is nice too... But you run the risk of other people giving the same kind of thing. I feel like you can't have too many books, but more than one cross in a room might be weird lol.