September 2015 Moms
Options

Exclusively Pumping?

Hello ladies! I wanted to see if I could get advice from STMs about pumping. I really do not want to start any arguments or need to hear any judgements but I just need to hear how it worked for you. I do not want to actual breastfeed for my own personal reasons that's why I want to try to pump once baby girl gets here and probably will also be using formula here and there. I keep going back and worth on the pumping idea and to me it seems like double the work as I will probably have to pump every 2-3 hours and also feed her. Also going back to work and having to keep the schedule seems like it would be hard. Has anyone else strictly just pumped and and how did it work for you? Thanks!

Re: Exclusively Pumping?

• Options
    I don't have personal experience but I feel the same way and I've done tons of research on it. I have heard its harder and it's easier to lose milk supply if you don't keep up with a schedule. There's a website I've been using run by moms who've done it successfully, when I get to my computer I'll add the link to it!
  • Options
    It's definitely a lot of work. I suggest that you YouTube a few videos on how to use your hands to help your pump get all the milk you'll produce during that pumping session since a baby nursing is more efficient than a machine at emptying your breasts of the milk. You'll probably be pretty surprised at how much you'll be able to get if everything goes well.
    I will say it's nice that someone else can give the bottle to baby while you pump or if you can't be there, but you should definitely pump as though baby is nursing from you to help with the supply. 
    Also, if you're already convinced that you'll be EP, then invest in a good double pump to help with the time issue. I Pumped 90% of the time and it definitely took a huge part of my day with a single pump. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I exclusively pumped. It was a ton of work but totally worth it. Once you get into a rhythm the hard work just becomes part of your life.The biggest piece of advise is to stick to a schedule. At first I didn't and it really effected my supply. Once I got better about pumping every 3 hours my supply went back up.
    Secondly get a hands free bra. Make sure it's snug. I tried without one at first and it took way longer to pump and the suction wasn't as good. The bra helps keep the cones in place.
    Thirdly, and this is a personal preference, don't wash your pump parts every single time. I would put them in a ziplock in the fridge and wash them at night. I sterilized all the parts once a week.
  • Options
    Got the link!

https://exclusivepumping.com

To add on to this question should you being EP at the hospital? Like from the start, or wait until after the hospital?
  • Options
    aleecats said:

Got the link!

To add on to this question should you being EP at the hospital? Like from the start, or wait until after the hospital?

Dirty lurker, but if you're planning on EPing start it at the hospital. Absolutely do it from the start unless you nurse at the hospital.
  • Options
    I'm EPing right now, baby girl is a preemie and cannot breastfeed. Definitely get a double pump like pp mentioned. Life saver for sure! You have to pump 15-20 mins every 2-3 hours. My supply is low and I can't keep up with her, so they told me to pump 30mins every 2 hours! A single pump would be the death of me. Use any LC you can find!! They know all the tricks, and are there with a word of encouragement when it seems like it's not going so great!
  • Options
    larby214 said:

aleecats said:

Got the link!

Dirty lurker, but if you're planning on EPing start it at the hospital. Absolutely do it from the start unless you nurse at the hospital.
    Thank you so much! I was considering nursing at the hospital to see if I'd change my mind about how I'll feel about nursing, but I wasn't sure if I did that if it would hinder EPing later
  • Options
    FTM and while I plan on breastfeeding, I will be pumping throughout the day once I go back to work at 12 weeks. I already bought a hands-free pumping bra (so I can take my laptop with me into another room and still work while I pump), and I'm getting an automatic double pump for sure to speed things up.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies so much for all the advice and suggestions. Definitely think it will be hard to do but going to give it a try and hopefully it will work out.
  • Options
    I EPed with my first. It is double the work, but like PP said you just get used to it. I started right away at the hospital and eventually had a huge supply, and by 4 months I had frozen enough bm for my daughter to have until she was 1 year. I plan to try to breastfeed and pump this time around to save me some work during the overnight hours, but that's a live and learn thing for me. Good luck, it can be done!
  • Options
    I for one breastfed exclusively the 2 months I was out on maternity leave and pretty much pumped at work the next 4 months and breastfed after work.. My supply definitely went down but I was still able to produce for awhile.. If you are not having baby contact it makes it harder to keep your supply up... Your body is pretty smart and can tell the difference between your baby and pump! lol Good luck either way!
  • Options
    aleecats said:

Got the link!

Thank you for this. I plan on EP and this was super helpful. I even dl the app.
  • Options
    I thought I was the only one! I keep getting so many rude comments because I only want to EP and use formula also. I have my personnel reasons also. I'm a FTM and doing this my way! Lol
  • Options
    @sparklett22 I'm so glad it helped!! I love the sample schedules and I bought the e-book though I haven't had a chance to read it yet!
  • Options
    kellymom.com is a great resource, too.

I almost had to go the EP route because my daughter was a lazy eater. She caught on between 3 and 4 months.

If you are blessed with a good supply, it makes it a ton easier. It's daunting.

• Options
    I also plan on exclusively pumping so thank you for this post OP! Lots of great info here!
  • Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thanks ladies for all the help and links. Definitely going to look into them!