January 2016 Moms

Waking at 3 am??

Anyone else? I've had sleep issues for a while now. Right before we found out I winged myself off of my sleep aid and just take a magnesium supplement now. That being said the past week or so I've been waking at 2-3 am after going to bed between 9-10 and am up for about an hour. Google articles say low blood sugar. I've never had issues with low blood sugar before but as with most things with pregnancy it can make your body go crazy I suppose. I eat ok... Not awesome but ok as in healthy. I could do better but overall I'm not that bad. Thoughts?

Re: Waking at 3 am??

• I have never taken anything to help me sleep, but besides that's I do the very same thing. Sometimes nothing seems to help but others a few crackers and a small glass of milk will help me get back to sleep. It's annoying being so very tired then missing an hour or more of sleep at night for no good reason. I am going to follow in hopes that someone has some better ideas!
  • Loading the player...
  • l4rkl4rk member
    I usually sleep like the dead but the past week or so has been brutal. I seem to wake easily for all sorts of reasons. I have to pee, the TV is on, the cats are moving, SO is moving, I want to switch sides, now I'm accidentally on my back, maybe I have to pee again, and so forth... I have been exhausted all week.
  • Have you tried eating a snack before bed? I've found this to be an absolute necessity for a few weeks now. I try to go for something very filling- nuts and cheese, protein shake, etc. Like PP's have mentioned, welcome to pregnancy :) haha.
  • Welcome to my club. I usually wake up at 11, and 1, and 3 and 5. And it's not like I can just go back to sleep. I used to sleep great pre-pregnancy, I guess I never thought of waking up as a medical issue though, I think it's just a part of the pregnancy process.
  • I have been getting up at 2:40am every single morning for weeks now.  I think it mostly has to do with having to pee, but a tiny snack helps be fall right back asleep too.  I have been keeping sliced up nectarines in the fridge so I just grab a couple of slices and go back to bed.
    Good luck getting your much needed rest!
  • I was the same way with my first pregnancy. I would wake up like clockwork at 3am and be wide awake for an hour or two. No matter what I tried it just seemed to happen at least 3-4 times a week. It started for me about mid way through my second semester. Hasn't happened with this pregnancy yet but I'm sure it will.  

DH and I both 29
    TTC#1 1/25/14
    BFP 3/15/14!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am happy to hear that I am not the only one up three times each night (religiously) to have to pee!!! My goodness! The baby is only as big as an avocado at 16 1/2 weeks... I can only imagine how it's going to be at 33 weeks!
  • Thanks ladies. This is my second and it is totally different than my first.. I slept hard with my DD. I'll try a snack and it really is good practice for newborn stage.. I said that to DH yesterday :)
  • Same. I just make up for it by taking naps around 2 pm :) but it is a pain in the butt
  • I have been waking up constantly between 3:30-3:37 every night. Figure it's just practice for what is to come. Hehe
  • I haven't seen a pattern so far but in my first pregnancy I woke up at 3:40 almost every night. Probably total coincidence but it was my hubby who after DD was born pointed out that I had been waking at 3:40 and DD was born at 3:47!!! Kind of freaky!
  • PP that is weird. Thank you all!
  • mrussellomrussello member
    edited August 2015
    I get up at every morning between 4 and 5am. Usually to use the bathroom and eat something And go back to sleep. With my first, I woke every morning at 2:30 for a snack in my 3rd Tri. When she was born, she would eat between 1:30 and 2:30. It was eerie but I like a schedule:)

Eta- that I go back to sleep:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wake up about 3-4 times to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night but 3am every night I lay there for a good 15 minutes before I can go back to sleep! Glad I'm not the only one :)
  • I learned with my first pregnancy that there is a hormone spike at 3am, so that's why it's a common time to wake up.
  • I've had the same problem..2:30-3:30 am for weeks. I usually eat a little bowl of cereal and fall back to sleep on the couch with the dogs. :-)
  • I used to have so many sleep issues, but 2 yrs ago I took the tv out of my bedroom. I also don't use electronics in the bedroom or do anything online/email related for at least an hour before sleeping. I watch a sitcom rerun for 30 minutes in the living room and then go right to bed. I wake up to pee a lot but go right back to sleep. I had read an article about if all you do in the bedroom is sex and sleep, you train your mind to subconsciously put you to sleep when you go in there. These changes have made a huge impact on my sleep (and life).
  • Sleep has been bad for the last month since I stopped working - I'm freelance. Hoping to sleep better when working again and my mind is dealing with work stress rather than freaking me out with terrifying vivid dreams. I'm wake up to pee and sometimes I'm awake for 2-3 hours so then I have to go back to sleep once my husband wakes early for work to make up. Plus getting used to preggo pillow, not sleeping on back, hot summer room, dreams, nightmares and dreams. Gah!
  • I totally get the vivid dreams and peeing, those for me are normal. It was the waking and not being able to fall back asleep that had me like wth! I was up for 2 hours Friday night but last night I finally slept hard.. Just have to get used to it I suppose.
  • I used to have so many sleep issues, but 2 yrs ago I took the tv out of my bedroom. I also don't use electronics in the bedroom or do anything online/email related for at least an hour before sleeping. I watch a sitcom rerun for 30 minutes in the living room and then go right to bed. I wake up to pee a lot but go right back to sleep. I had read an article about if all you do in the bedroom is sex and sleep, you train your mind to subconsciously put you to sleep when you go in there. These changes have made a huge impact on my sleep (and life).

I've never had a TV in my bedroom for this reason and I convinced DH when we got married not tinpot oneninnout room. It makes such a big difference. I get sleepy folding laundry in my room. Haha.
  • I wake up every night around 3....not sure why, but I remember it happening when I was pregnant with our son too. Just some of the pregnancy joys I think lol
  • 2:52 we meet again ....
  • I almost always wake up at 3 am.sometimes just because and sometimes it's because of hubbies alarm. When I don't wake up at 3am though I wake up around 530 making my alarm useless. Lol
  • Every morning like clock work up 3-315 I lay in bed for an hour till I get up it's so frustrating because I know my 4 year old is going to be bouncing with energy and I'm so tired as is ... I have been trying to stay up later to hopefully sleep my way through it .... Not really working
  • That's me.... I wake up every morning at 2-3am no matter what time I fall asleep. I wake up my husband too and tell him its baby training
  • That's so weird!!! I wake up 2-3am every night and I'll be wide awake for an hour or 2. Some nights until 6am then I dose off for another hour.. So annoying!
    I thought it was stress but possibly your body's way of teaching you a bit of baby training. Glad to see I'm not alone!
  • Dear 3:12 am .... you win. Again.
  • With my first pregnancy I woke up at 4am every morning. I would feel the baby kick, so I always assumed that's what was waking me up. I haven't been waking up early with this pregnancy yet, the baby seems to move at night when I go to bed, so it's a little harder to fall asleep sometimes.
  • When you're stressed, cortisol levels reach their peak around 3 - 4am. This often causes a person to wake up.
  • When you're stressed, cortisol levels reach their peak around 3 - 4am. This often causes a person to wake up.

So if I've always woken up at 3-4 AM does that mean I have chronic stress? Lol. Because I know I do but that's an interesting effect of it.

So if I've always woken up at 3-4 AM does that mean I have chronic stress? Lol. Because I know I do but that's an interesting effect of it.
    That is definitely a possibility. Do you fall back asleep around 4:30 and crash super hard, like you're almost unconscious? If it continues for a long time, it can have some affect on your adrenal glands which produce cortisol and other hormones like adrenaline. A naturopath helped me lessen my stress and sleep better.
  • edited August 2015

When you're stressed, cortisol levels reach their peak around 3 - 4am. This often causes a person to wake up.

That is definitely a possibility. Do you fall back asleep around 4:30 and crash super hard, like you're almost unconscious? If it continues for a long time, it can have some affect on your adrenal glands which produce cortisol and other hormones like adrenaline. A naturopath helped me lessen my stress and sleep better.
    Hm, I'm not really sure. I do know when I wake up I am WIDE awake. Usually if I go to the bathroom or take a drink of water and I lay back down I am OUT. It takes no time. And then after 4 ish I can sleep through the rest of the night no problem. That's very interesting. I have been diagnosed with clinical anxiety, and I constantly have to work on my coping skills because I pretty much have none unless I put forth a stupid amount of effort. Maybe it would help me to go see someone specifically to help me learn better coping techniques. Because my whole world crumbles if something doesn't go to plan.

Edit more words
  • Ditto here - 24 weeks with twin girls: usually up at 2am on the dot, then around 3:30-4am, again at 5:30. Sometimes I can go back to sleep after the 5:30 wake up - only til 6:50 am - but many times not. :(
  • I'm always waking up in the 3:00 hour and it freaks me out every time since that's supposed to be the ghostly hour!! 8-X
  • I am up at least three times a night... Always because I have to pee, sometimes I am
    am also hungry or thirsty... Baby boot camp! Newborns have to eat every 2 hours (so I have been told/warned) and so I guess I better get used to it ;). Three more months to go!
  • I've been having this issue the past two weeks or so.
    I don't think it's at a certain time everyday- but when I wake up to pee I CANNOT go back to sleep for an hour or more.
    My SO is a meanie (probably thoughtful) but he tends to wake up go the the bathroom and before he goes back to bed he'll ask me if I need to go pee- waking me up... -sighs- then I can't sleep.
    Also, when I finally do fall back asleep it's not a real sleep it's the I'm kind of conscious light sleep where every little noise wakes me up...

Sometimes though, when I can't sleep baby boy will be kicking inside me - so we have that little moment to ourselves ❤️
  • Got woken up for a 3:45am dance party in my tummy. While the thought of my little girl out clubbing at that time 18 years from now scares me, she can feel free to do it now. :x
  • I wake up a hundred times a night to pee and get water. Staying away from my phone, turning on no to minimal lights and not conversing with my hubby preventing me from really waking up when I get up. When I do any of those no no's I can't fall back asleep.