September 2015 Moms

Anyone get cervix checked? Dr said cervix is low soft and closed.

NO idea what this means on the status of labor. I'm 36 weeks I was hoping to have him before 40 but just not yet.
Anyone know?

Re: Anyone get cervix checked? Dr said cervix is low soft and closed.

• jht4jht4 member
    It really means nothing other than you are low, soft, and closed. You could go into labor today or not for 6+ more weeks. With my first, I went from high, hard, and closed to delivery in less than 48 hours. Other people walk around dilated to 4 cm for weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was checked by my doc since I was having some pressure down there, my cervix is not low but I'm dilating 1cm so I guess I have to wait lol btw I'm 33 weeks w my 3 child.
  • Loading the player...
  • jht4 said:

It really means nothing other than you are low, soft, and closed. You could go into labor today or not for 6+ more weeks. With my first, I went from high, hard, and closed to delivery in less than 48 hours. Other people walk around dilated to 4 cm for weeks.

With my second I was 5 cm for weeks, no contractions and was 10 days over due...it just mean you aren't ready....
  • This is part of why I'm choosing not to have them check because it means nothing overall to when you go into labor. I was told by a PA that its not an accurate indicator of when you'll go into labor. I am 36 weeks had my appointment yesterday and my NP didn't even ask to look so I was relieved to not have to say respectfully no. I will let them check if I am over due though since at that point it'll be used to determine whether I'll be induced etc. I am also kinda a hypochondriac so I know if they told me I wasn't dilating I would mentally get defeated like labor wont ever come or something like that! 
  • I had my first check today (@ 36 weeks) and Doctor said 2 cm dialated and 80% effaced, with a very low head! All he said was "I bet you don't go past 40 weeks!" We shall see!
  • I had mine checked only because I started having a lot of contractions and may be induced so my doctor wanted to have an idea on the state of my cervix in case we decide to go with induction.  

I'm soft and 3 cm at 36.5 weeks but as PP said that means very little.  I could walk around for weeks at 4 or 5. 
  • 34w4d here. Was. Checked on Monday at 34w1d and was 1/2 cm dilated and starting to thin out. Wasn't told anything else other than don't call unless the contractions i was having were 5 mins apart and every one hurt. I have been having a lot of contractions...both painful ones and non painfull ones. So who knows when it'll be time.