Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Night Awakenings major sleep issues

My 22 month old used to be a great sleeper. The past week has been horrible. She wakes up 3-5 times a night cries and cries will not tell us what is wrong. She will only stop crying if we let her in our bed. We get so desperate for some sleep we put her in our bed for maybe an hour and we where so exhausted last night we all fell asleep. She started crying again and woke us up and we put her back in her crib. We don't know how to break this cycle of constant night awakenings. We are exhausted if we let her cry she will not stop even if we pick her up and reassure her. Any advice would be appreciated. We do have a solid bedtime routine. It seems like she does not want to sleep in her crib at night. She is in our room in a crib. Thanks.

Re: Night Awakenings major sleep issues

• The only thing that I can think is that this is either a sleep regression or her separation anxiety is peaking. Perhaps since she is in the crib in your room, she can see you guys when she wakes up and then instead of rolling back over to go to bed, she thinks, "wait a minute, I want to be with mom and dad!" so she starts crying. She may continue to cry because she knows that she will be put back in her crib so she is resisting calming down. I don't know if your living situation/parenting style/whatever allows this but if I were you, I would try to get her into her own room and get used to sleeping there. That way when she wakes up in the middle of the night (which all babies do) she wont see you guys and want to be held. She'll just see that she is in her room and (hopefully) roll back to sleep. However, this transition may take some time (maybe a few weeks) and things will probably get better before they get worse crying wise, but eventually she will adjust to sleeping in her own room. I just know from our experience that consistency is key. I don't know if that helps, that's just what we did with our LO and now he sleeps like a champ, as long as he's not teething, sick, etc. 
  • Okay, this is a long shot, but does your daughter wear footed pajamas? Our twins are younger but they started waking a lot at night and I thought maybe they were just getting too warm. I cut the feet off of their pajamas, worked like a charm. Maybe try that?
  • Loading the player...
  • We will be moving in a month so we will be moving her into her own room. Meanwhile we are not able to give her her own room we need to use that room for packing boxes. To the second poster she sleeps in a Halo sleep sack still seems to like it. I guess we could try regular Pajamas and see if that helps. Thanks
  • Hi, @jae732@gmail.com ! how are things going??