July 2015 Moms

What to pay the nanny

I was wondering what the going rate was for a newborn nanny. I'm going back to work soon and wasn't sure what to offer! I was thinking $12-15? Just one baby, three days a week.

Re: What to pay the nanny

• I think that that is a good pay rate. It also depends on what you are going to have the nanny do and how long. Is the nanny cleaning and running errands as well? Staying all day? Is the nanny going to be living with you guys? My aunt had a live in nanny and she paid her a flat 25,000 a year.
  • Not a live in - just to cover while me and the hubby are at work between 8-10 hr work days. I was thinking picking up around the house but not errands.
  • Loading the player...
  • I nannied for a little while before getting pregnant & my rate was $100/week/kid for full-time care. Mom brought the kids to my house, packed their lunch, and provided diapers, etc. I took them places for play time 2-3 times/week and tried to incorporate educational activities during the day (former teacher).
    I feel like the rate depends a lot on your location & the competition's rates, as well as the services they'll be providing. We live in a medium-sized town in Texas and most daycares charge about that much per kid for a similar setup. Also, the numbers happened to work well for our family, even though it wasn't a whole lot. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, hope it is moderately helpful :)
  • I think I remember being paid $12 an hour about 10 years ago as a nanny… I worked for very wealthy people too. Dad was president of the stars encore cable company. I ran errands, did little chores around the house, and took the little girl to swim lessons
  • I interviewed a nanny for 2 kids. 40hour week. She wanted $2,000 a month. Long story short....
    I'm going to be staying at home.
  • Ugh sorry posted by accident. It depends on the area you live in. And experience.
  • I think $10 - $12 is reasonable.
  • Thanks everyone!
  • I interviewed a nanny for 2 kids. 40hour week. She wanted $2,000 a month. Long story short....
    I'm going to be staying at home.

I live in a HCOL area and this is about right where we are. It really depends on where you live, how much experience they have, etc.
  • I was a nanny for infant twins and s toddler, they paid me $2,500.00month and included paid snow days(NY) and holiday pay/vacation
  • That's more than I got paid to watch two kids.
    1yr and 5yr. And I picked the 5yr from school.
    I got snubbed. Your offer is much better. I'll do it.
  • On care.com I saw a nanny position for 2 school aged kids, parents were both doctors I believe. 50,000.00 per year salary! :-O it was a live-in position however. But I was stunned.
  • After looking at the prices I think I'm going to have to do daycare instead - which isn't cheap either! Crazy
  • We have an in home nanny 3 days a week when I do work. She brings her 22 month old daughter to our house, takes them on play dates at church 1 or 2 times a week. She brings her own food most of the time, but we welcome her to use anything in our home that she needs. She does not do any house work except pick up the kids toys at the end of the day. She's here for 8 to 10 hours depending on the day. For one child we paid 35$/day, when she starts back with the newborn we will raise her pay to 80$/day but I may only go back 1 or 2 days a week. We love her and love the convenience of having her in our home where our boys can stay in their own environment yet also have play dates with other kids at church to get them used to being around others. It really is the best of both worlds, we feel blessed and thankful to have found her and that she is willing to take on a newborn now!!!
  • @mamakemond --- You are lucky your nanny is willing to work for you so cheaply!!  I hope you buy her a Christmas gift.   :)
  • What about a babysitter just for like 6 hours a week? What's the going hourly rate?