June 2015 Moms

Ergo - Weight or Age?

My 6 week old is quickly approaching 12 lbs which is the weight limit for standard front carry (facing in) on the Ergo 360. I currently carry her with the infant insert, but was wondering should transition into the standard carry? I'm concerned about hip issues if I switch too soon.

Re: Ergo - Weight or Age?

• I just use the bottom pillow from the infant insert for my 12 lb baby. The infant insert was too hot anyway. a six week old should still have support on its bottom like a seat.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I have the same question for a 9 week old, but I don't have an insert pillow. Curious what people say!
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the rolled up receiving blanket for our 6 week old. She's only 9 lbs though. The pillow should work fine. The insert swallowed her!
  • I need a good front carrier for a 7 week.. Catch is he's 14 pounds ... And so I use our regular Chicco but he's still such a bobble head I want a sling :(
  • I shove a blankets under his butt in lieu of the pillow. Works great.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• I have a 11 pound 9 week old and we just use a rolled up receiving blanket.
  • I love both my Boba and my Lillebaby All Seasons - both support their head when they're tucked in, and I use a blanket rolled up as a 'seat' in the Lillebaby.
  • The infant insert is appropriate to use until baby is 4-6 months old or until baby is tall enough for her face to clear the top of carrier and the fabric in the seat spans from knee-to-knee without over-straining (knees should bend easily). I am a babywearing educator (and have had the geeky privilege of hanging out with Ergo's chief researcher) and I haven't encountered the weight limit you are describing, so I'd love to know more about where this info came from. 

Also, to address some info above: the infant insert is designed to prevent torso slumping (and thus airway compromise) for babies who do not yet have strong head and neck control. That is why is wraps around baby to help fill out the internal space of the carrier. While just using the pillow or a blanket is a common hack, note that Ergo designed the insert for more than just height.

The fully insert--not just the pillow--is definitely appropriate for a 6 week old.
  • My baby HATES the insert. It seems like it takes up too much room in the carrier or something and doesn't actually fit. Has anyone really used it successfully who can share the secret to positioning it correctly? I'm kind wondering if I'm personally too small for it to work - I'm only 5'1".
  • I am only 5'4" and I use it with the insert all the time and my baby loves it. I watched a video on YouTube about how to put it on.my baby is seven weeks and probably around ten lbs. although my husband did struggle feeling like the baby couldn't breathe well I think it's because he only wore it once. But really look up the video because it helped me I was not using it quiet right before.
  • At first I could not get the insert to work for us at all. I think she was too long. It was horrible. No matter how many videos I watched it just did not add up. Once I started just using the pillow it was a million times better. She also runs in the 99's temp wise and is super sweaty so the insert is a huge problem. I always follow the ABC's and also had an educator check out her positioning with just the pillow and they said she looked great. Those inserts are too damn hot!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • HayesRN13 said:

I need a good front carrier for a 7 week.. Catch is he's 14 pounds ... And so I use our regular Chicco but he's still such a bobble head I want a sling :(

Same issue here, he is almost 10 weeks so his head control is better now but not perfect. 16.5 lbs. Boba is only $40 and works great. For longer wearing a love my Beco Gemini and it seems to cup his head and hold it really steady even if I am bending down or moving a lot. The Boba tied really tight and crossed high might be the best cheap solution.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 8 week old 12 lb girl hates all the carriers, she wants to look out at the works.

What do I do?!? Have beco Gemini, bjorn, moby wrap
  • My 8 week old 12 lb girl hates all the carriers, she wants to look out at the works.

What do I do?!? Have beco Gemini, bjorn, moby wrap

I have the same problem! My 7 week old hates the Ergo & somewhat hates the Boba wrap.

I just ordered a Tula carrier because I'm desperate! I need both my hands to get things done during the day! Crossing my fingers he likes the Tula.

• hoodoll82 said:
    My baby HATES the insert. It seems like it takes up too much room in the carrier or something and doesn't actually fit. Has anyone really used it successfully who can share the secret to positioning it correctly? I'm kind wondering if I'm personally too small for it to work - I'm only 5'1".
    A fair amount of wearers under 5'2 find the Ergo doesn't fit well. Do you have a Babywearing International chapter near you? You can go to a meeting and try on a bunch of carriers for free to see what works. Beco Gemini is a readily available soft-structured carrier that tends to work well for people under 5'2 as well as taller folks. Also, it doesn't need an insert for newborns.
  • pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited August 2015
    My 8 week old 12 lb girl hates all the carriers, she wants to look out at the works. What do I do?!? Have beco Gemini, bjorn, moby wrap
    In the Moby, you could try putting one of baby's arms out so she can crane her neck a bit better, but be aware of her head if neck muscles are not strong yet. I would do this short-term then stick the arm back in as you walk around and she gets tired. At 4-6 months, you can give a hip carry a try with the Beco. A hip carry lets baby look all around but then allows the child to "tuck in" if they get over-stimulated or tired. Baby does need good head and torso support for this, though (like sitting assisted). 

Also, stand sideways when you look at things so she can see them, too. When a wearer faces the interesting thing face-on, the child can't see it.
  • CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited August 2015
    I really like my Lillebaby - similar in some ways to the Ergo, but doesn't need an insert - I do use a little blanket under her bum for now.  The best part is you can have a narrow or wide seat, so there's no stage that you can't wear baby in it.  I think she's ready for legs out/narrow seat now rather than a newborn carry (she's 10 weeks).

Edited to add I got the all seasons - so it has a mesh panel you can zip open at the front for more air for the little furnaces.