Breastfeeding
Options

How long should an infant nurse?

my DD is almost a week. How long did your infants nurse at this point? She will do one side for about 10-15 min tops..just wondering if that was the norm?

Re: How long should an infant nurse?

• Options
    I think the normal range is quite wide depending on the mom and baby. In the early weeks, my LO nursed for 30-40 mins per side. By his 2nd month birthday, it was down to 5-10 mins per side. He's 4 months now, and I can tell he has even stronger suction, but the durations and frequencies haven't changed much.
  • Options
    Honestly I fed on demand. My babies stopped when they were full. So there's no real time to put.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kpp123Kpp123 member
    My son is six weeks and has been pretty consistently doing 10 to 15 minutes per side at each feeding
  • Options
    I agree with @Latina211508. Babies will stop when they are full. Be sure to look to see if he/she is swallowing. You want to make sure they are actually eating and not using you as a pacifier.
  • Options
    Two months here and it'a 10-15 a side but then he's hungry every 1-2 hours (i.e. he's still not super efficient). At one week, we had to feed him with a syringe because he was totally useless at the breast. We've come a long way, baby!

If yours is filling diapers and gaining weight, then 10-15 min a side sounds great. :)
  • Options
    jmucc421 said:

my DD is almost a week. How long did your infants nurse at this point? She will do one side for about 10-15 min tops..just wondering if that was the norm?

Mine is the same...just one breast per feeding and about 10-15 minutes. She is almost 5 weeks and has been this way since about week 2. As long as they are gaining well and good output of pee/poo I think it's totally fine.