April 2015 Moms

When is it ok to pierce babies ears?

My daughter is 14 weeks old and my boyfriend and I disagree on when to pierce her ears. I know ppl who have pierced their daughters ears as early as one month. My boyfriend wants to wait for her to get bigger but I want to do it now. Does anyone know what's recommended?

Re: When is it ok to pierce babies ears?

• I think I heard at least 2 months. But it's whatever you're comfortable with and I cell like it's something to decide together.

imageimage

• I am hesitant to peirce my LO ears. I was a baby who's ears were peirced an a few months old and now due to growing over many years my first holes are uneven to the point that I don't wear stud earrings because it looks strange. You can even see the differences with dangling earrings but not as much. I also can't wear studs in my second holes because they are farther back on the ear and it looks awkward.

Not trying to talk you out of your choice... But keep this in mind.
  • Loading the player...
  • We've been going back and forth also. Another thought to consider is that jewelry places recommend 14kt gold for babies in case they have an allergy to sterling silver or metals. And also that if you aren't careful while taking off a snug outfit, it could get caught on the back of the earring. That happened to me when I was 4. But a lot of people swear by doing it early since they will play with them more if they're older, exposing the holes to bacteria. So it's kinda a difficult decision either way.
  • Yes that's why my boyfriend and I are stuck. I think I'm going to wait it out a little maybe six months
  • I had my ears pierced at three months and have never had any problems with my ears at all. My daughter is 14 weeks old and I just had them done two weeks ago, she didn't fuss or cry at all! They have been so easy to maintain with her not playing with them or pulling on them like you would have an older baby do. I've already got the "safety back" earrings that twist on that we will switch to in another six weeks once the holes are healed so as she grows she won't be able to take them out herself. The baby should just be strong enough to turn her head if she's laying on it and it's hurting her. But other then that go for it!
  • Hi, where did you got your baby's ears pierced? I'm looking for a place but all I get is Claires or Piercing Pagoda. Some people have recommended a tattoo parlor, but I'm not sure about bringing a baby there. 
  • I asked our pediatrician this and she said to do it at 6 months. I believe she said it had something to do with building their immune system in case of infection. Still not sure where to do when we get it done!
  • A good place to go it you don't want bring your baby to a tattoo parlor is a jewelry store. They pierce ears there
  • Please don't take the baby to Claire's! Or a tattoo parlor. Ask the pediatrician. Ours does the piercings at the office and provides everything.
  • As early as 3 months is okay. We had our daughter's ears pierced then. They make you sign a waiver and basically as long as you LO has had their shots, they are okay.
  • @erikani did you have it done at your pediatricians office? Debating on where to get baby's ears pierced at
  • I had my daughters ears pieced at 3 months, they said if you are going to do them young to do them before they can pull or tug on them. She is now 5 months and they are healed perfectly and look adorable. She didn't cry but for 2 minutes and they took a bottle and forgot about the pain. We went to Merle Norman which is a cosmetics store here locally cause the lady has been doing it for 20 years. We did not use gold, just the Nickle free and she's done fine. I'm glad I did it and it's over with! My GF got her daughters done at Zales, good luck!
  • We just pierced our daughters 5 days shy of being 5 months! She did wonderful and they look great (we let her lick a little bit of a sucker after but she only cried for a second and was over it. They're easy to care for. We clean them in the morning and night. I love them!
  • If not a pediatrician doing it, a tattoo parlor (while maybe intimidating and not entirely age appropriate) is the best place (with the most qualified individuals) to perform an ear piercing. Instead of using a push-gun, which can cause the skin to fold into the ear and create scar tissue, the needles they will use are hollow and remove the tissue entirely, insuring that scar tissue build up is ultimately less likely and more sterile than push gun piercing machines. They are also certified in sterile piercing procedures and techniques, and most of the tattoo parlors have an artist dedicated strictly for piercing, so they are very good at their job, and tend to be very good with children. Call ahead of time to make sure they will take your daughter first, some won't.
  • I talked to someone who pierces ears and she really thought it was best at I think 3 months. I would definitely wait until 4 months because that is what it says in Baby411 which is my bible of all things baby. lol. It says that piercing carries the small risk of infection so they suggest you wait until 4 months. 

The ear piercer didn't like it when people waited until their babies were older. She found that they were more wigglier and that they had a more difficult time. She said she was confident about a 3 month old (or 4 month old) that she could pierce their ears and they would let out a quick cry and then carry on like nothing happened. Another mom I talked to said she was glad she pierced her baby's ears before she got older and "found her ears" and played with the earrings while they were healing.

BUT having said all of that, when I was pregnant I decided I would pierce my daughter's ears at 4 months. I know a 5 year old girl with a lot of anxiety about getting her ears pierced and I thought there's no need for that just do it when they are babies and get it over with and move on. After baby was born, I realized that I couldn't do it. The following is only my own personal opinion about my own daughter so please don't let it offend you if you feel differently in general or about your child: I have realized that a) I don't want her to have the 'look' of pierced ears as I actually prefer the look of her bare earlobes when she is a baby. Pierced ears are pretty later. b) I don't want to pierce her ears when she is a baby. I don't want to go through the experience, I don't want to comfort her during it or feel guilty getting it done if she gets really upset. c) I don't want to have to deal with infections afterwards or any discomfort or disruption in her mood or sleep. d) Basically, it turns out baby ear piercing just isn't for me.

My new plan? I'm not going to worry about ear piercing. If she asks me, at any age, to get them pierced my answer will be of course. It may end up being a lot more drama and anxiety than if I had just done it when she was a baby, but I'd rather leave it up to her and I"m sure I can help her though the experience no matter what. Personally, I didn't get them done until I was 12.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • aekuiper said:
    If not a pediatrician doing it, a tattoo parlor (while maybe intimidating and not entirely age appropriate) is the best place (with the most qualified individuals) to perform an ear piercing. Instead of using a push-gun, which can cause the skin to fold into the ear and create scar tissue, the needles they will use are hollow and remove the tissue entirely, insuring that scar tissue build up is ultimately less likely and more sterile than push gun piercing machines. They are also certified in sterile piercing procedures and techniques, and most of the tattoo parlors have an artist dedicated strictly for piercing, so they are very good at their job, and tend to be very good with children. Call ahead of time to make sure they will take your daughter first, some won't.

My husband strongly agrees with you. I was skeptical at best about taking her to a tattoo parlour. lol. 

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson