December 2015 Moms

Finding comfort in hospital-mode...

aed016aed016 member
edited July 2015 in December 2015 Moms
Hello All,
Looking for some thoughts any second/third/etc moms may have for delivery. How did you make your birthing experience more comfortable? Did you bring your own hospital gown/robe for pre/post birth? Hospitals are horrible as it is, I'm looking for any ideas that may help lessen the stress/anxiety big or small. Thank you in advance! :)

Re: Finding comfort in hospital-mode...

• I had my own music, pillow and pajamas for in the hospital. I didn't fit into my pjs after so I wore the gowns they had until hubby brought me something suitable. I was just happy for the music and pillow!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One thing if you were already planning on it is a hospital tour. I found it nice having seen the rooms and where everything was before hand so when we went in for delivery it felt more familiar.

Besides a pillow maybe if you have a favorite blanket? I would just say try not to take too much stuff. You'll have to take it all back home with you plus some.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll be taking my favorite robe and slippers and my pillow. That's about it. I'll pack yoga pants for the trip home, but I'll probably just wear the hospital gowns while I'm in. My hospital has pretty (for a hospital gown) gowns that are designed for nursing with a front opening.
  • I brought flip flops for the shower. I had my own in my room but it still didn't want to go barefoot. Chapstick would be good.

Also, if you have a little fan, that would be helpful. I got really hot after delivery!
  • CmagnoCmagno member
    I used nothing for me, from my hospital bag. I wore my hospital gown while I was there and the flip flops I wore in. Well I used my tooth brush I guess. I brought an Aden & Anais blanket for DD and loved having that, because the baby blankets were so scratchy! I don't know why I didn't use more, but I'll definitely bring less this time.
  • Cmagno said:

I used nothing for me, from my hospital bag. I wore my hospital gown while I was there and the flip flops I wore in. Well I used my tooth brush I guess. I brought an Aden & Anais blanket for DD and loved having that, because the baby blankets were so scratchy! I don't know why I didn't use more, but I'll definitely bring less this time.

I was the same way. I finally decided everything was provided so why bother getting in my bag. They even gave me shampoo and tooth paste and all that stuff so all I got out was my phone charger and a hair brush.

At least where I went the blankets were a super soft flannel so I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I have thought about this time taking a swaddle pod though.
  • I had a really fast delivery (not much time to "stretch" down there, and my baby had a big head which made my recovery rough. I think this also exacerbated the lack of bladder control I had afterward. I would stand up to go to the bathroom and would just pee right there. No control at all! So I needed extra socks because it went right down my leg and got my socks wet. So extra extra socks will be on my list this time. And your own pillow (plus one more). It was so nice to have my own pillow plus an extra one for nursing or holding the baby in my lap, or support while sleeping.
    Also, this isn't exactly what you asked about but it was super helpful for me... After birth you are Iinely to get constipated, so avoid the carbs and dairy! I avoided those foods when I ate the hospital food and also had my husband go out and get me Naked juices and then I would drink a little and then add some prune juice (not a lot so I still couldn't taste it). It seriously made a world of a difference for my first BM. I ever had to take a stool softener like they suggested and I had my first BM before I left the hospital.
  • Brought my own boppy, pajamas, shampoo that smelled amazing, blow dryer, flip flops, my fave cookies from trader joes, laptop, and nursing and sleep bras.
    "There is more to us than we know. Perhaps, if we are made to see it just once, for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mrussello said:
    I had my own music, pillow and pajamas for in the hospital. I didn't fit into my pjs after so I wore the gowns they had until hubby brought me something suitable. I was just happy for the music and pillow!
    weird question, did your pillow get dirty? I really want to bring mine but am pretty attached to it and would hate if it got ruined.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• mrussello said:

I had my own music, pillow and pajamas for in the hospital. I didn't fit into my pjs after so I wore the gowns they had until hubby brought me something suitable. I was just happy for the music and pillow!

weird question, did your pillow get dirty? I really want to bring mine but am pretty attached to it and would hate if it got ruined.

No. They clear everything away during labor and delivery. Afterwards, it's just nice to have your own to get comfy. I did out 2 pillow cases on though. Lol plus my hospital was low on extra pillows which bothered me so much. How do you run out of pillows?!
  • Bring a robe, toiletries, towel, Gatorade, snacks, phone charger...possibly a fan too. Your hormones make you get super hot after labor.
  • I took a nursing nightgown and robe as well as makeup. It was so nice to be able to put on my own comfy clothes and while the makeup might seem unnecessary, for me it is what made me feel human again. Just a little mascara and lipgloss and I felt 100x better. Bring what matters most to you. Pick one or two things that make you feel your best and forget the rest.
  • Love this thread because I'm absolutely clueless about what I should/should not take. What about your husbands/significant others? What did they take to the hospital?
  • Your own pillow, flip flops for the shower, shampoo/conditioner (my hospital only provides that combo shampoo/body wash stuff), a lightweight robe and/or pajamas.  Comfy clothes to go home that will accommodate your big post-delivery tummy.  Camera with extra batteries.  Change for the snack machines.  A couple doses of your prenatal vitamin (unless you want whatever the hospital gives you) and any other medications you need.  A take-home outfit for baby (both newborn and 0-3 month sizes in case you have a big baby).  Cell phone charger.  Books or magazines to keep you busy if things are slow.  FOOD (if you deliver late after the cafeteria closes there will be nothing to eat until morning and you will be STARVING).  Hair brush and any other toiletries that you want to make you feel human again.

My husband only bought a change of clothes.  I recommend a short-sleeved shirt for him.  There is a chance that you will need help in the shower and you don't want his sleeves to get soaked.

• In addition to what I already said, our hospital provided zero toiletries so be prepared. We also weren't allowed to charge phones in the room, so we brought a battery pack. SO brought his own robe and pillow. And I can't emphasize enough, BRING SNACKS! Like a whole case of cliff bars. And considering the bleeding and wearing a Chux pad with netted underwear, pack a skirt or nursing dress to wear home. Or if you have a C-section, pants will be uncomfortable and won't fit over the padding you wear. Also, make a sign for your door that says, "DO NOT DISTURB" like a hotel. If it's your 2nd or 3rd day, they will usually honor your wishes.
  • I hear it can get very cold for birthing moms. So I plan to bring my fuzzy socks. 

Music is brilliant. Mozart's requiem should be about right, yes? ;) 
  • I hear it can get very cold for birthing moms. So I plan to bring my fuzzy socks. 

Music is brilliant. Mozart's requiem should be about right, yes? ;) 
    Lol I had goo goo dolls and 90s hip hop playing. Judge away but I was jamming in between contractions.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    I know we've talked about this before and I should use the search function. Who's buying a labor gown and what brand?
  • @arichlife so glad to hear someone else has done that! The first day I got home from the hospital i was about to get in the shower & just started peeing in the floor!! I was shocked and then laughed forever about it.

**I brought my pillow, take home outfit for DD, toiletries, clothes, a light jacket, yummy snacks, and drinks too. Also it was so fun to buy a comfy after-labor outfit! I was looking forward to wearing it for weeks before I went into labor. It was so nice to get into something super comfy that I'd looked forward to! Definitely doing that again.