Baby Names

Thoughts on Girl Names

Hello all. We're due in December and on team green. So it feels like a good time to get some names on the bracket.
On the short-ish list of girl names right now are:

Aurelia
Rowan
Aurora
Cora
Avery
Josette
Camille
Melody (family name)
Opal (family name)

Any thoughts and/or suggestions of other names in this boat?

Re: Thoughts on Girl Names

• I like Cora. My nieces name is Camilla. That could be another choice if you like it
  • I would toss Avery and Rowan from the list, all your other names are so lovely and feminine, but those two are boy names. My favorites from your list are Camille and Melody, both beautiful names you don't hear very often!
  • Loading the player...
  • Rowan and Avery need to go. Those are boy names, My favorites are Aurora and Cora.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Cora and Camille are my top 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I LOVE the name Opal. It was on my list but husband couldn't get behind it. He felt it was too old fashioned. Bonus points since it's a family name.

I'm not a huge fan if Rowan or Avery, they strike me as very masculine.

I like Cora but it's very trendy.

Aurelia is pretty, but with all the Amelia's out there, she might get mistakenly called Amelia and have to correct people often. (Just a thought)

Camille is very pretty.
  • josette camille melody are my favorites

get rid of rowan and  avery
  • Cora, Camille, and Melody are my favorites.
  • Opal!!!! So cool and unique. Love it. Opal Aurora or Opal Camille?
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Aurelia Opal
    Camille Melody
  • Opal, hands down! 
  • Thanks all! It's very cool to hear the love for Opal. It's my grandma's name and she is completely badass-a veteran of WWII where she did air traffic control. She's 96 and currently very sick so may not be able to know our new little one. So it'd be wonderful to honor her and not have our kid feel like she got a dud of a name.

I've actually only known girl Averys and both of them were very feminine so it's interesting to hear that it's boyish for most.

I like Camille and Camilla but I don't like Camilla pronounced with a soft I like in pillow.
    Thanks!
  • Another vote for opal!
  • I love Opal!!!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Camille or Camilla
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Opal is pretty close to oral...
  • Weird, I have only met girls named Avery as well! I like it!
  • Definitely Opal! I've only ever met one Opal and she was super badass. I love that name.
  • Weird, I have only met girls named Avery as well! I like it!

Avery has been in the top 1000 names for boys since 1900, the top 500 since the 80's. It first showed up in the top 1000 girl names in 1989 and quickly skyrocketed from the 900s to the teens. It is definitely a traditionally boy name, but is quickly being taken over by the girls!
  • Opal is an awesome name and it sounds like she would be named after a cool lady! Go for it!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • edited August 2015
    Lose Rowan and Avery. Both masculine. My favorites are Cora, Camille, and Melody. I like the idea of using Opal to honor your grandmother, I would just middle name it. Melody Opal would be lovely!
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I also love Opal! Unique but classic, I think it's a solid choice.