January 2016 Moms

The Bump is sexist

I counted 25 weeks where baby is female in the weekly descriptions vs. 11 male. What gives? And yes, I'm extremely bored lol. In my defense, I'm extending my heavenly Lush bath!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

Re: The Bump is sexist

• I noticed that too. A lot of pregnancy books/articles do it as well. Is it assumed most women want a girl or something?
  • sck601sck601 member
    edited August 2015
    I noticed a lot more "she's" than "he's" in the updates too

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • mamaksweezmamaksweez member
    edited August 2015
    I could be totally wrong, but don't all babies start as a she and then at a certain week either become a he or stay a she? Then it would make sense that the first x amount of weeks were she and after that it was every other or whatever.
  • When I read the updates outloud SO alwayyyysss comments on the fact that I'm saying she. They can't really say "it" though?
  • @mamaksweez I'm pretty sure you're right about everyone starts out as a "she." That is one of the few things I remember from HS biology.
  • I noticed this too, I love that you counted it! haha...DH also commented on it at the beginning that they were assuming she...once we found out ours IS a she, he stopped making comments, but I definitely still have noticed it...I regularly check a few other sites for their weekly descriptions (but only check the boards here at TB!), and they seem to alternate more...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • l4rkl4rk member
    edited August 2015
    Ahaha. It's just a place holder in English language, and usually has nothing to do with the context of babies. Using either gender is acceptable when it's unknown, but "she" is more common.
  • catgrazcatgraz member
    edited August 2015
    In fact, I quite like this "she". I live in Austria and here, they say "es" ("it") and I hate it. To me it sounds as if our babies were things and not human beings.
  • We watch the bump weekly video updates to see how our baby is doing. We watched it last week and dh goes "she knows we are having a girl!" I'm like, she always refers to the baby as she lol
  • I totally agree with this and it has bothered me as well! I assumed TB must be rotating by trimester, then got to the second and it's still all girl!  Why don't they rotate weekly? Seems odd. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Every week on Wednesday, I text DH a screenshot of that first page with the fruit/veg and the little descriptions. He used to always text me back,
    "He**"
    He stopped because now he thinks it's a girl.
  • @UptownPearl I do the exact same thing. To me it's like referring to all "man"kind. I tend to be a little bit more traditional than most, so the whole man thing doesn't offend me. I just consider it formal.
  • I have referred to my baby as he this whole pregnancy until someone questions it and then I say "or she." I think I was taught at a young age to assume the masculine pronoun unless it was otherwise specified. Maybe the bump is counteracting sexist grammar. I can't be the only one that grew up with that taught process
    Yep, that's what I was taught in grammar as well.  The "she" thing bothers me because of this.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 

• I think they are are afraid of all these women freaking out if "he" is used more and overcompensating. You know, "crazy feminists" and all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Another random thought just occurred to me: what if the person who wrote them all has a daughter and had to remind themselves occasionally that some people have boys and those are the weeks "he" is used?
  • I have referred to my baby as he this whole pregnancy until someone questions it and then I say "or she." I think I was taught at a young age to assume the masculine pronoun unless it was otherwise specified. Maybe the bump is counteracting sexist grammar. I can't be the only one that grew up with that taught process

I took a screen shot and posted the peach week on FB. My future SIL was all "Ooooh, it says she!" I was like "Yeah, that's just the app." But thanks for assuming I'm dumb enough to post something with the baby's gender before we're ready to tell! :-P

• I read this as, "the sex is bumpist." That is all.
  • enkbenkb member
    I think it is that generally in the English language you use masculine pronouns, so the bump just went overboard trying to be neutral.  It bugs my husband every time something says 'she' as he thinks it is grammatically correct to use male pronouns if sex is unknown.  He's British so I don't know if its taught more strictly there or if its just a him thing. 
  • kmcc14kmcc14 member
    edited August 2015
    enkb said: I think it is that generally in the English language you use masculine pronouns, so the bump just went overboard trying to be neutral.  It bugs my husband every time something says 'she' as he thinks it is grammatically correct to use male pronouns if sex is unknown.  He's British so I don't know if its taught more strictly there or if its just a him thing.  ------------------------------------------------------------------------quote box fail---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is grammatically correct to use male pronouns if the sex is unknown.  It is taught that way in the US as well.  
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 

• l4rk said:

Ahaha. It's just a place holder in English language, and usually has nothing to do with the context of babies. Using either gender is acceptable when it's unknown, but "she" is more common.

This! I was taught that people now use "she" more as well, which used to not be the case.
  • There was a push a few years back to use 'she' instead of 'he' when referring to an individual of unknown or unspecified gender. The reasoning was that 'he' had a good mulit-century run, and it was 'she's' turn. Not sure if that applies to the site's reasoning.

I purposely used 'he' during my last pregnancy, assuming that most people would go by the 'he'-for-unknown-gender rule. My mom later told me this was why she thought we were having a boy. People are going to think what they want, I guess? We aren't finding out the gender this time, either, so I usually try and refer to the baby as 'Peanut' and keep the gender out of the equation.

(This does not prevent the attempts at gender divination by every single person I know. Apparently I know lot of closet witch doctors....)

((Curse you mobile app for not posting my adorable gif of an eyeroll!!!!!))
  • I just use s/he.  Problem solved!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• i just refer to "the baby".
  • Ahh, I thought you meant The Bump is sexxxy....which it totally is.
  • The Bump just went too far with this, I can't take it! If you look at week 18, they change from "she" to "he" in the same post! No no no! One or the other!

"She's about 5.6 inches long and about 6.7 ounces now and she keeps on growing rapidly. (That's why you're probably feeling so hungry.)

What the heck is baby doing in there at 18 weeks? A lot! He’s working his muscles and practicing all kinds of moves."