October 2015 Moms
Options

TDaP Vaccine and relatives. Help a girl out.

I realize that there are several posts regarding the TDaP and vaccines in general, but there is a lot of information and superfluous posts to wade through to find what I'm looking for. Hopefully some of you well-educated ladies can spare some thoughts on the matter.

Today at my OB appt, the doctor brought up the TDaP vaccine. I already had my Rhogam shot today, so they agreed to do mine at the next appointment, and my fiancee will get his as well. The doctor recommended that anyone around the baby update their vaccine. I consider my doctor to be pretty liberal in terms of 'requirements' but she was basically insistent that me, my fiancee, and anyone else who will have regular contact with the baby, update their vaccine.

I can't even believe I'm posting this, but my own mother is giving me sh*t about getting the vaccine! I have never discussed vaccinations with her before and am extremely surprised that she has this stance on the matter. When I casually asked her to get the vaccine (over email), she starting going on and on about vaccines and adverse reactions, how they cause Autism, how she's afraid SHE will have a reaction to the vaccine, how she has lived through the times of Polio and Scarlet Fever and other contagious diseases and came out fine. For the record, my brother and I received all of our vaccinations and are healthy. She now tells me now that apparently after a vaccine when I was a baby, I spiked a fever of 104 and had convulsions and "she believes" it was from the said vaccine. She said that she hasn't seen a story about a baby contracting Whooping Cough in years and that I'm being paranoid. Well, of course I sent her numerous websites and articles about babies who have died from Whooping Cough. In turn, she sent me websites about adverse reactions to vaccines (anti-vax sites).

Obviously we're talking about two different issues here. One, her getting the vaccine, and two, vaccinating my baby. I already told her that sorry, I'm not one of these anti-vaxxers. My child will be receiving all of his or her vaccines and she does not have a say in the matter. Still, she refuses to get the TDaP vaccine herself because she's afraid that SHE will get a reaction. She doesn't live super close (about a 1/2 hour away), and won't be seeing the baby daily, but will be staying with us for about a week after the baby is born. My fiancee's stance is, "no vaccine, no grandchild." I'd like to be a little more diplomatic with her. Also, she is a smoker and I have yet to have the conversation with her about smoking and then holding the baby, which I'm sure will cause even more tension. Can anyone recommend some good talking points or articles that might convince her to get the vaccine? Or are we being too rigid about her receiving it...like, is it really not that important in the long run?

Thanks so much.

Re: TDaP Vaccine and relatives. Help a girl out.

• Options
    I don't have any articles off hand but I am sure if you google you will find plenty. I remember watching a PBS Newshour about vaccines that was really informative. I personally cannot stand people who do not vaccinate unless their immune system is compromised. Then I understand. I have spoken to my parents and PIL about getting the tdap vaccine as my mom and MIL will be taking care of my baby when I go back to work. They were completely fine with it. I think you are perfectly in your right to say no vaccine no baby. That is not something to mess around with especially with babies immune system so fragile.
  • Options
    I have some things that could help, let me do some digging and I'll send them your way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yikes! I'm sorry you are dealing with this! All of our parents who are coming for extended visits are getting the vaccine. So I read online it's passed through handshakes and sneezes. Of course you will make her wash her hands (especially since she's a smoker) but maybe the middle ground is she wears a mask while she holds the baby? I'm not a medical professional so I don't know if that will actually keep it from passing so I would talk to your doctor. I find that some people are not able to step back and listen to the other side of the argument. Also, I think the first time you get your baby back from her and the baby stinks of cigarettes you will be more likely to be bold about her smoking then holding the kid.
  • Options
    I think you may have to be willing to agree to disagree. I don't think it's reasonable to demand she has the vaccine. You have communicated to get it is important to you that she does get it. Now it's up to you and your husband to decide if it's a deciding factor on how much she is around baby.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are dealing with that. We got some push back from MIL and SIL about it, but we made it clear, no vaccine, no baby. I actually made an appointment with the pediatrician and took them with me and let him explain it. He laid out for them the risks and what not and told them flat out that the decision to receive the vaccination was up to them, but it was up to me if they would be around the baby. And that his recommendation to me would be to not allow them around the baby until April when RSV/Flu/Cold?Pertussis season was over. 

If you have already picked a pediatrician, maybe you could call and ask if they could send you some information on it?
  • Options
    Oh my.  Sorry you're having to deal with that!  Sounds like she's made up her mind and I wouldn't be surprised if she completely discounted entire stacks of articles, scientific papers, websites, actual sufferers of whooping cough, etc.  It can sometimes help if you find information from a source she trusts.  A website, a celebrity, a politician or someone (besides her own daughter of course!) who she relies on for information that supports vaccinations.  Make it clear that your newborn baby is at far greater risk from whooping cough than she is from suffering some side effect from a vaccine.  I'd ask your doctor for suggestions in the case she doesn't back down. 
  • Options
    This is a sore subject for me, so I will gladly help you educate your mother. Hoping these help:

and with this one, make sure she reads the whole article, especially the part about 16 babies dying in 2012 from whooping cough, most of which were too young to get the vaccine

Basically google anything about Andrew Wakefield being discredited and you have your answer.  Also the CDC is a pretty solid source of truth. Your mom shouldn't challenge what they say as these are well educated people who research the scariest diseases and find cures for them or ways to prevent them from happening again by giving us the gift of vaccines.

My mom has already gotten hers and my dad is checking his vaccine records to make sure he's up to date. Both will get the flu shot. My DH will ask my in-laws but I have a feeling they're up to date. I had the tetanus last year but I will be getting the Pertussis (whooping cough) along with my DH who needs the TDAP, Chicken Pox Vaccine (never had it) and flu shot. My doctor wants me to wait to get the flu shot until after I deliver. I had a bad reaction last year and was sick for days, but despite my reservations on how the flu shot affects me, I will be getting it to protect my daughter. I can put up with wearing a mask and being sick for a few days if it keeps her safe. 

If this doesn't persuade her then I'm with your DH, no shot, no grandchild. It's fair. 
  • Options
    Mil put up some resistance with this when I was pregnant with my first. I stood my ground and she gave in.

I hate to say it but you need to stand your ground. This is so very important for quite a few reasons. I'm with your dh, she will have to keep her distance until she gets it or baby is old enough to get it. I certainly wouldn't allow her to stay in your home.

Put your foot down! This will set precedence to everything else your mom may try to side step as your child grows.

If she is a smoker, she really can't say much about health risk from a vaccine... c 'mon now! Fwiw, I am a former smoker and smoked for 20 years, I'm not just being judgy. Good luck!
  • Options
    @VioletandRose they won't give us any vaccine while pregnant where I'm from.... Which I thought was strange after reading some of the links provided in previous threads... I never had the tDap vaccine during my last pregnant either, or after I had him.
  • Options
  • Options
    I am finding that I have to agree with the ladies on here about it being her choice. If she is afraid of a reaction it's fair. But if you're not comfortable with her being around the baby if she isn't vaccinated, that's also fair. If she doesn't get her vaccines updated I wouldn't have her stay with you. It's too much of a risk and it sounds like your doctor feels the same way. 

Just make sure that she is making that choice based on educated information. I hate seeing these people that are against vaccines because of what was claimed so many years ago but has since been discredited. Some people are making decision like this based on what they hear in the media, but they're not reading the updated information and that's what upsets me.

I do get the fear of a reaction though. I'm terrified of the flu shot because I get so sick from it, but also I understand why it's essential to my baby's health. 
  • Options
    My ob suggested anyone around baby gets this but my midwife reminded me the last things baby needs around them is a newly vaccinated person "shedding" from a vaccine around baby. So I'm opting not to push the issue, as this was not even something that was suggested when I had my other 2 kids.
  • Options
    I told my parents they'd have to wait til she got her own vaccines to see her if they didnt get it, so next day they did :)
    imageVincent Julian born on March 27th, 2013 DX with Down Syndrome image
    baby
      BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hubs and I got it and my mom who lives with us did. Hubs explained to his parents and they choose to only come for a short visit after a week or so and then not see baby until after she was vaccinated. My in laws are anti medicine/doctors so that didn't surprise me and that's why I had hubs explain it to HIS parents, I have enough trouble being the 'city' girl who married into the 'country' family. My sister mentioned she would be on break from school during the first 3 weeks baby was here so I told her she had to get the shot too if she wanted to be around for more than a short visit. She is a big baby and afraid of shots so I told her it was sore for several days and she made the choice herself to go get the shot. Good luck on whatever you choose to do!
  • Options

I told my parents they'd have to wait til she got her own vaccines to see her if they didnt get it, so next day they did :)

If I told my parents that, my mother would get vaccinated, but my father wouldn't and he probably wouldn't speak to me for a long time !
  • Options
    This anti-vax movement is getting innocent children killed! Medical professionals and scientists are not lying to us about the facts so they can give us autism or anything else that people are claiming vaccines do. Do some research, ignore celebrity testimonies because they have no idea what they're talking about (they have no medical background or experience). I got the tdap and the rhogamm at the same time...in the same arm. Bad idea btw! Very sore arm for 4-5 days. I didn't even think about not getting the shot... They're not telling you to get it to make money, they're telling you the information and allowing you to make the decision for a reason.
  • Options
    Cocooning (everyone baby is exposed to being vaccinated with tDap) has been proven pretty ineffective regarding Whooping Cough. 1. The vaccine is only about 85% effective to begin with 2. Some of the outbreaks are parapertussis (spelling?) and there is no vaccine for that 3. Vaccinated people can become silent carriers when exposed to Pertussis, meaning they show no symptoms or mild symptoms, but are equally contagious to your baby, only they don't know to stay away because they don't feel ill.

That is why the CDC recommends women get the tDap vaccine in the third trimester of every pregnancy now - the antibodies pass through the placenta in large quantities based on titer testing. Getting it after birth only allows for minimal antibody transfer through breastmilk based on titer testing.

Get the vaccine during your pregnancy and your baby will be much better protected than having every single person who will be in contact with the baby vaccinated.

There are several threads about the tDap so search for those if you want to read through the links within the threads. Lots of good info.
  • Options
    My entire family refuses to get it. They don't think it's a risk and they don't want to pay for the doctor's visit or the shot. I wish I had some advice but know you're not alone with the stress.
  • Options
    As far as her worry about having a bad reaction, chances having a "moderate" reaction is fairly low. The CDC has specific stats, but having dealt with the reaction an adult can have to the vaccine, as DH had it when he got his shot this year, it is not the end of the world. He was sick for roughly a week- vomiting, rapid heartbeat, fever, fatigue, etc. Most people who have any reaction at all just report swelling at the injection site and pain in the arm.

You can't make her get it. All you can do is offer info. She may not listen, but she is an adult and will do as she wants. Good luck.
  • Options
    I don't know the rules on posting videos and there are quite a few cuss words in this video so I'd rather not offend anyone, but if you want an interesting breakdown of the effects of vaccinated kids verses non vaccinated kids and what the effect that non-vaccinated people could have on babies that aren't vaccinated yet (before the 8 weeks), Penn and Tell have an interesting video on youtube that breaks it down. 

Again it is people's choice. My parents will and I believe my in-laws will be up to date on their vaccinations and I will make sure that DH and I are too. But I am 100% behind what @BlueTopazBride posted.
  • Options
    Thank you for this thread. It is comforting to know it's something we are all having to deal with. I really thought it would be easy. If the doctors recommend it then people will be logical and do what is best for our son. Seems pretty straightforward. Nope.