April 2016 Moms

Obese and pregnant

Belltrix83Belltrix83 member
edited August 2015 in April 2016 Moms
I'm super excited to be expecting #2 (EDD April 5th), but I gained 60 lbs with my first and never lost it. Now I find myself with a BMI of 30 and terrified of the weight I'm going to gain and not be able to lose again. I know I need to eat healthy and control my portions but it's SO hard for me. Any advice/support is much appreciated!

Re: Obese and pregnant

• I gained more than that with my pregnancies. I also know that it is important to eat healthy. But try and focus on the pregnancy and then you can begin a healthy eating lifestyle after baby 2 is born. You will be much more active with 2 babies. I did it. You can too!!
  • Congratulations! Try not to worry about the weight. Just eat as healthy as you can for the both of you. The rest will fall into place. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations! I find it helps to just try and focus on what you should eat, not what you shouldn't. The most important thing is that you are nourishing the baby. 
  • I gained about 45 lbs with my first and lost 10 lbs :( Definitely going to try to eat healthier this time around. Last time, I pretty much gave myself a free pass to eat all the food! Not okay :) 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • I never lost the baby weight last time, although I only gained 25, I was overweight to begin with.  I've been on Weight Watchers since February so I could try and loose some weight before we TTC.  I've lost 25 pounds, but still have about 35 until my goal weight.  You can't be on Weight Watchers while pregnant so I'll cancel, but plan to continue to eat smart and watch my portions and rejoin once I'm recovered from baby #2.
  • I am also quite overweight, but I was before I was pregnant with my daughter. I was really afraid of gaining a lot of weight when I was pregnant with my daughter too, so I had to figure something out. I found that eating smaller meals throughout the day kept me satisfied and prevented me from snacking, which is where I usually have a big problem. I was able to control the amount of weight I gained with her to a minimal amount, which was nice, so I'm hoping to do the same with this pregnancy. I could really tell the days that I didn't eat regularly, because I wanted to eat everything in the house or supermarket.

The best thing that helped was having things prepared - yogurt with granola, cut up fruits, homemade granola bars (minimalistbaker.com has some fantastic recipes) --- stuff that was super simple. Planning ahead, and drinking a lot of water helped too. And an emergency "meal" in your purse with granola bars, nuts, stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated really helps too for when hunger strikes and you want to stuff your face with a whole pizza.

That's just my experience, but you'll find something that works for you :)

First M/C - March 2006, pregnancy not known about.
    BFP#1 03/17/12 DD 11/09/12 Missed MC 05/14/12 (No growth past 9wk1d) D&C 05/22/12
    Removal of Ovarian Cyst 07/27/12
    BFP#2 09/17/12 DD 05/29/13 STICK BABY STICK!

PgAL MARCH SIGGY CHALLENGE: PET SHAMING

imageBabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers