August 2015 Moms

How far past due date can you go?

My dr says one week. I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience before and how long they were allowed to go. My due date is Thursday and I'm actually scared of getting a cervical check and hooked up to the monitors etc since this will be the first time all pregnancy! I guess this is getting real... I just want to go into labor on my own and I'm worried they will want to induce! Probably worried for no reason but would love to get advice anyway

Re: How far past due date can you go?

• My doctor told me two weeks. I think it depends on the pregnancy.
  • My doc says 41 weeks before inducing. I'm officially 40 weeks tomorrow and am sooooo done! Mentally spent :((
  • Loading the player...
  • I can definitely sympathize. I have a somewhat irrational fear of having to be induced. My doctor said the longest they'd let me go is 42 weeks. From 41-42 I'd have to come in everyday to make sure my blood pressure and baby were still OK. Of course it definitely depends on your risk factors. Good luck!
  • I feel the same way. I'm 40 weeks on Wednesday and my doc said he wouldn't let me go past 41 weeks. I don't want to be induced.
  • My Dr's plan is to induce at 41 weeks. I didn't ask her if she would let me go any further because as terrified as I am of induction i don't like the risks associated with going past 41 weeks. If there was any doubt about my dates I might feel differently but I know the date I conceived and every u/s and measurement matches so I'm pretty confident he is cooked :)
  • My doc likes 41-42 personally.....but after 41 you gotta go in all the time so induction....will definitely be happening at 41 weeks. so 41 weeks will be it for me. I also have a favorable cervix so I won't wait longer
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 42 weeks unless there is a complication. If you're not ready at 41 weeks, ask your doctor why you can't have a few more days, or if you can try a membrane sweep or nipple stimulation first. Or ask if you can do a NST to gain a few more days if baby is OK. Just make sure you're comfortable going forward.

• At 41 weeks my midwife starts doing NST and ultrasound and induces at 42
  • There are definitely some scary risks associated with waiting too long. Do some research on it and it may help you feel better about an induction.
  • 41.5 weeks for me as I'm a vbac'er
  • Thankfully my doc does not go past 41, with DS I was induced at 41 and the placenta was already calcifying (old).
  • 42 weeks for me. I'm trying not to think about it at this time Bc I absolutely don't want to be induced. I'd go longer if they'd let me.
  • Mine will let me go 10 days past my due date before inducing. My due date is this coming Saturday and I will have my first cervical check on Wednesday. I hope something is starting to happen. I would definitely prefer to go into labor on my own!

• Mine said they would do a NST at 41 and if everything looked good, then they would let me go another week. I said no thanks, 41 is good for me, but I am still 3 weeks from that so we shall see if things start on their own.
  • I haven't asked because I'm just about to 38 weeks. I'd imagine 42 would be it though. I am not interested in getting to 42 weeks though. That must be awful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In NZ it depends what city you live in! In my city its 10 days and they will offer you an induction but I know that it's up to 2 weeks in other cities. Not sure exactly why. Ps - placentas CALCIFY...?! I gotta do some research! I'm one day overdue and soooo miserable!
  • I delivered my first at 42 weeks

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

• My doctor won't let me go past 41
  • In NZ it depends what city you live in! In my city its 10 days and they will offer you an induction but I know that it's up to 2 weeks in other cities. Not sure exactly why. Ps - placentas CALCIFY...?! I gotta do some research! I'm one day overdue and soooo miserable!

After 40-41 weeks the placenta will start to break down. The reason 99% of births happen or are induced before 42 weeks is because there is no procedure to see how well the placenta is holding up. Also the rate of deterioration depends on many factors.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• 41.5... My induction was scheduled for 41.6 and I was doing twice weekly nst. Baby was in distress during contractions and delivered by csection. Doctor attributed baby distress to old placenta. This time, they won't let me go past 40. Sooo, I scheduled repeat csection for 39.5, because I liked the date! Hopefully this one comes before then so I can do vbac. Also, induction is not an option this round as it has too many complications
  • My hospital/clinic allows you to go 10 days over before they induce.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• I am going for a vbac this time and my dr told me 42 weeks. I have a repeat c/s scheduled for 10 days after my Edd as a backup plan if I don't go into labor before that. :/ today was my due date so she is definitely going to be late to some extent but I really hope I'm not still pregnant come 8/11
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • No more than 10 days past EDD for me. I'm in AU going through public hospital as a patient of a midwifry group they have, so may be different for different circumstances. I have my fingers crossed for labour to come naturally!
  • I'm pretty sure 42 weeks is the longest you can go but I'm sure it also depends on the person and what your doctor feels is ok for you knowing your health and history .
  • My midwife/HMO wouldn't even write an order for induction until I was sitting in her office at 41 weeks. I was induced at 11 days overdue.
  • I have a friend who went to 42 weeks and 3 days before she finally went into labor. Her baby was 11lbs
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KrystalP2286KrystalP2286 member
    edited August 2015
    My due date is this Friday, and my doctor said they'd schedule for an induction the following week if I haven't labored on my own. I, too, fear induction, but I've heard good and bad stories. Stay positive and just hope things naturally progress for you!
  • Thanks I hope things happen naturally for all of us! Good to know my options though. I'm looking forward to seeing many birth announcements this week ;)
  • My doctor told me she'd induce at 41 weeks if I'm still pregnant then. She said nothing good happens after 41 weeks.
  • I'm a RCS so they wouldn't let me schedule any later than 40w6d. I am scheduled for 40w2d but holding out a tiny bit of hope that she will pick her birthday.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • 42 weeks here
  • Birthing center for me so they try to avoid intervention. As long as baby is well up to 42 weeks. I'm trying to walk at least an hour a day despite the heat to get baby to lower herself down and get things moving!
  • My docs are all about going into labor naturally and said they won't induce until 41wks, 3-4days. She explained that after 42weeks, the chance of the baby surviving is drastically lowered tho so they will always induce before that point.
  • 41-42 my induction is scheduled for 41w3d if he doesn't come on his own...
  • I went 10 days with my first son, 17 years ago. I was scheduled to be induced in the morning and went into labor overnight. She says she won't let me go past 7 this time, but my son was a perfectly healthy fatty at 8lbs 5oz. I just got checked on Friday, not even 1 cm dilated. Granted, i have 3.5 weeks to go, but she basically said, count on another late one!  X(
  • Here in Europe doctors count differently. The due date is when you hit 42 weeks. So we get to be pregnant one more week here than in the US. But after the due date they usually induce 2-3 days after. So you can go 42 weeks + 3 days max. I don't know why this is different it took me a while to figure it out too. So I guess if they let us go this long in Europe it should be possible to go this long in the US too.
  • My doc will allow 41. She wanted to induce my first at 40. I declined, with her saying testing would start every 2 days then. At 40w4d, my fluid was gone and my placenta had already begun to calcify. LO failed her NST and we were sent straight to L & D for a potential eCS (we were able to induce).

Point is not to scare but to listen to your doc.  TB at the time was very anti-40 week induction and I still feel guilty about declining the first offer.