November 2015 Moms
Options

Traditions.....

So, curious if anyone has or is starting any new traditions with their new baby?

The tradition I have is I am a keepsaker. I have a box for each of my kids with things in it for them.

On the day they are born I have my husband buy the local newspaper and put this in their box so when they're older they can see what was going on in the news the day they were born.

The second thing is I buy them a special "going home" outfit. It's the first lil outfit they have worn :). I put it in a zip lock bag and put it in their box.

I such a sap for being sentimental....

Re: Traditions.....

• Options
    What a cute idea
  • Options
    Thats a cool idea! Never would have thought about something like that
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SoyyoyarySoyyoyary member
    edited August 2015
    Very cute idea.. I been writing in journals. DS is almost 13 so boy I have stories. I share all firsts, you know little mess like the day DS covered himself in lipstick :D . I have fibromylgia my worst symptom is fibor fog so I forget alot, just want my babies to have these memories when I can't anymore. Traditions are always very special. ;)
  • Options
    I wrote in a journal for about a year and now when DD does something cute or funny. I started more traditions around Christmas. I carried on my family's tradition of only 3 presents a toy, books, and clothes, but DD get a Christmas eve box that carried on H grandma's tradition after she passed of buying socks, underwear, undershirts, and then she might get an outfit or toy or movie in that box too. So while the Christmas eve box is a new tradition for our family the stuff inside is a tradition.
  • Options
    I want to write my kids letters and keep them in a box to give them when they graduate college or get married.
  • Options
    I love your idea OP...I may try something like this.
  • Options
    flasflas member
    I'm a scrapbooker so I scrapbook pretty much our whole lives.
  • Options
    I journal! Not as often as I'd like, but each child has a journal and I hope to give it to them as a graduation gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @Cook3133 I do the exact same! I also am a card saver. I myself have every single card I've ever gotten from my moms baby shower for me up to this last Mother's Day! So I save cards for my sons as well. I also put their first hair clippings, fave outfits they've worn. Stuff from their first birthday. All sorts of things! I'm a sentimental person as well! ;)
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    A mom of one of my students had a super cute idea. She had bought a book (shel Silverstein poems... I think where the sidewalk ends) and had each one of his teachers write him a note in the book. She does this without him knowing and plans to give it to him as a graduation gift. As a teacher mom, I can't help but think that'll be a very special gift!
  • Options
    Stitch11 said:
    We started an e-mail address for our baby and use it to send the baby notes, pictures and even occasional videos. It's kind of like an electronic scrapbook of our pregnancy so far and we can easily send notes about firsts and other special moments from wherever we are. We plan to continue writing once the baby is born and throughout their childhood while also printing out the e-mails every few months to make sure we don't lose anything. 
    We do this too.  All of the grandparents and aunts and uncles have DS' email address as well.  I email him after every doctor's appointment, random day, great day, rough day, first, trip, etc.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    Stitch11 said:

We started an e-mail address for our baby and use it to send the baby notes, pictures and even occasional videos. It's kind of like an electronic scrapbook of our pregnancy so far and we can easily send notes about firsts and other special moments from wherever we are. We plan to continue writing once the baby is born and throughout their childhood while also printing out the e-mails every few months to make sure we don't lose anything. 

I did this for my boys to! Totally forgot I set emails up for all of them!!
  • Options
    I started making yearly photo books (from shutterfly) when DD was born. I also order a photo ornament before Christmas each year with the date. It's fun to start new traditions with your own little family :)
  • Options
    I have a friend whose parents bought a special case of wine the year of his birth.  They open bottles on special occasions (21st, his wedding etc.)  I thought that was a cool (if not pricey) tradition.  Totally meant to do it for our son and forgot!  He's three, so I should be able to find some 2012 out there.  I guess you just have to make sure you can cellar it.  I always thought it would be nice to "build" a pearl necklace for a daughter, buying a single pearl each birthday until 21.
  • Options

I love this! I kept special things from my daughters birth, her going home outfit, hospital  bracelet etc. and then with each milestone, her first birthday invitation, first lock of hair cut. The first time she wrote her name. It's really special for both of us when we go through it....I will admit, I am going to need a bigger box!

I really love the idea of buying the newspaper from that day! I believe we will do this with our baby boy.

• Options
    I'm loving the ideas! We bought a journal and randomly write in memories or funny notes from since we found out she was in there. The latest is DH coming up with an answer for "when is it OK to hit you mother?" - when you are in the womb!.
  • Options
    We opened an email account for DS when he was born and send him emails when he hits milestones, birthdays or just to send him random pictures/stories.  We'll give him access when he is a teen and needs it for work, college, etc.  We will do this for all of our kids including this LO.   I also have a keepsake box with little things (hospital bracelets, U/S pics, etc).  
  • Options
    I'm thinking of starting a keepsake/memory box for my LO. I saw an idea on Pinterest to use a file box, so you can use folders to separate everything by year. 

The hospital I'm delivering at provides us with a newspaper from the day the baby is born, sealed in a plastic bag for safekeeping. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I do a keepsake "box" for each of my kids too. I say "box" because it's just a little pile for each of them at the moment. I'm still looking for the right boxes to store their things in. I save their coming home outfit, first (or favourite) hat, my favourite receiving blanket from their newborn days, a pair of scratch mittens, first/favourite pair of baby shoes, hospital bracelet, and brush & comb set. (I might be forgetting items as well...they each have a big pile, haha.)

We have done all kinds of other traditions through the years with the big kids. An annual trip to the county fair near my parents every October the weekend of (Canadian) Thanksgiving, dying Easter eggs and leaving them for the Easter bunny to hide, a trip downtown every November to watch the Santa Claus parade with friends, adventures in and around our city during summer break, and a week-long visit with their cousins every March Break just to name a few. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have a memory box for my daughter for things that are special to me.  She has a treasure chest of her own for things that are special to her.  Hers is filled with an astounding number of rocks (that was fun to discover when we moved) notes and other kid stuff that she can't bear to part with.  Mine is filled with her going home outfit, first Halloween costume, bracelets from the hospital, etc.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's.