High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Insulin causing Edema?

Has anyone on insulin had this problem. My last pregnancy, I was hugely swollen and on insulin. My first, I wasn't like this. I took glyburide and ate a super high protein diet with little to no carbs. I gained 15 lbs and never swelled. This time, at 26 weeks I am getting grossly swollen half way through the day now. I have gained 25 lbs, and now they are slapping me with weight concerns. I say I am retaining water. I haven't been peeing half as much as first tri, but drinking the same if not more. I looked it up and edema is a side effect of insulin. I am wondering now if it's worth it, and should I just throw in the towel at the 3 fast acting shots and not eat carbs. My first pregnancy was a breeze in comparison. My OB actually had the dietician call me today to set up an appt, and I told her no, there is nothing new you can tell me to control my weight, however, I think I am retaining a ton of water, and she confirmed that a high protein no carb diet WILL make you lose more water weight. So there you go. I need help, because I am about to lose my damn mind here. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Insulin causing Edema?

• Options
    I have been a type 1 diabetic and on insulin for 16 years. I'm 31 weeks and luckily have had no swelling thus far. I never knew there was a correlation. How's your blood pressure?
  • Options
    You don't want to omit carbs completely...you and baby need energy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    BP is great. Last check was 92/56. I am trying to lessen the carb load with only whole grains at the moment. Hoping to reduce swelling with essential oils as well. 

• Options
    Hope you succeed, keep us posted
  • Options
    Make sure you are drinking something other than water everyday too. I also have GD and was having trouble with swelling in my feet. I drink an 8 oz glass of Poweraide zero everyday, more if I'm doing a lot of activity and my swelling is 90% better. My Dr said that water alone isn't enough to keep you hydrated since it has a tendency to go straight into your tissues. Also elevating your feet helps to
  • Options
    That's interesting, thanks for the tip!