November 2015 Moms

Body image problems- advice please

I am having terrible body image problems. I feel like my entire body is one flabby heep of cellulite. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way... do you exercise? If so, what does it consist of? How do you deal with your body image issues? I need to talk to some ladies about this, my husband just doesn't understand! Lol.

Re: Body image problems- advice please

• I always have had bad self esteem with my body and I have been doing small exercises now since my lifting is now restricted to 10 pounds so I have 3 pound weights (I know it's almost nothing) and when I'm walking on my treadmill I just lift the weights while I walk..
  • Walking is great to do while pregnant, as are many other forms of exercise- if you are cleared by your doctor to do so. They can give you guidelines based on your personal situation, but I hike, bike, kayak, and use the elliptical at the gym. It's not recommended to start heavy exercise if you weren't doing it prior to pregnancy (like running), but there are lots of fun options out there!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • You are not alone. Although I've been losing weight 22 lbs since 2 months before we conceived, I still have a B belly. - that's when u have 2bellies so it looks like a B instead of a b from the side. I'm 23weeks pregnant and don't even look like it. I just look fatter like I've been sitting around eating chocolate all summer. I do walk a lot and don't crave sugar at all but what helps me get over that ugly feelings about my body is thinking that my baby is healthy and being motivated to work out and get in great shape after the baby's born. Don't worry and just keep in mind that just like your body changed to accommodate the baby, it will change afterwards if you work it out.
  • I have really bad body dismorphia, so this whole pregnancy has got me all outta whack, and worried about how I'm going to look after baby comes and if I'll ever be able to workout enough to get back to the way I was before. I'm pretty religious with my workouts even now that I'm pregnant. But I have clearance to pretty much do everything I was doing prior to. I still run 3-5 miles outside, use the stairs at the gym, weight lift, swim, and help teach Zumba when I can get there. It helps ease my mind a bit and makes me feel better. It just all depends on how active you were before and what your doctor says. But 30 minutes of brisk walks never hurt anyone so I'm sure you'd be good I start there if you haven't done anything else during pregnancy. I just have to remind myself that I'm growing a little human being and in the end that's what matters. I'll do whatever it takes to get back to where I was, but right now I just do what I can to be as active and healthy as possible.
  • I am right there with you! Previously I had dropped 3o lbs with diet and exercise and at my last appointment I was right back to where I started! I could have cried. I normally walk a litany bike ride but have been having a ton of pain in my pubic region and lower abdominal dr told me it was muscles and ligaments tearing and that I should switch to swimming since it is more of a full body workout and would remove the stress off the region. It doesn't help that my sil is due one week before me and has only gained 8lbs and only in her belly and family seems to enjoy rubbing that in. I honestly haven't found a great way to deal with how I feel about myself but my husband is always telling me I am beautiful and that I look great and better than I did through our other two pregnancies. He has also started being my conscience that I can't ignore and helping me to make the healthiest choices possible. Hang in there it will get better for both of us and we will have beautiful babies when this is all over and they don't care if there is a little extra padding
  • It's really tough to see your body which was once so familiar be so different! I've switched from regular to prenatal yoga and while it is less strenuous, they really focus on building the connection between mind, body, and baby. It reminds me that all of the changes are for a purpose and that I can put more of my energy into going with the changes to make them as effective as possible rather than fighting it.

(A new cute maternity outfit and mani every once and a while doesn't hurt either! )
  • Same boat. Everytime I see photos of myself I want to cry. I haven't been doing much to control myself though either. It's vicious.
  • Agreed on the cute maternity outfit! At my 24 week appointment I was told my weight gain is on the high side and failed my gd test- went to a consignment shop- got four pairs of maternity pants/capris and two tops for twenty-six bucks and felt a lot better. Having clothes that fit always helps me feel better
  • I cried last night because we don't have any maternity stores where I live and I am so tired of buying XL and 1X clothes. I see all these tiny little girls with their cut off shorts and flat tummies and just hate myself. I was never super little but after a few surgeries last year I had gained about 20 lbs from not being able to be active and then I got pregnant before I had the chance to start. Although I haven't gained much in my pregnancy it still sucks feeling so hideous.
  • I cried last night because we don't have any maternity stores where I live and I am so tired of buying XL and 1X clothes. I see all these tiny little girls with their cut off shorts and flat tummies and just hate myself. I was never super little but after a few surgeries last year I had gained about 20 lbs from not being able to be active and then I got pregnant before I had the chance to start. Although I haven't gained much in my pregnancy it still sucks feeling so hideous.
    Have you tried shopping on line? I've had much better luck with maternity shopping online than in stores!
  • On the clothing side, buy some lingerie and let your SO remind you how sexy he sees you. ;)

They may not have maternity stuff, but you can buy super cheap lingerie at yandy . com so you can buy something that would fit your pregnant body now that you won't have to feel bad about not wearing again once you're not pregnant.

Sorry apparently I have sex on my mind today. Won't my husband be pleased. ;):D
  • Anyone read "Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy"? In it, the author mentions how you've got to get it into your head that until the baby comes out, your body isn't physically for you anymore. You might get no personal pleasure from the way you look, but that's okay for the next couple of months and let it go. Your body's main physical purpose is to take care of the baby. Then once the baby comes out, you can work as hard as you can to get it back in shape in whatever way works for you. Reading that really helped me to put things in perspective. Aside from daily light exercise and trying to eat right, I consider it to be out of my hands for the next three months.
  • Yesterday I went to the thrift store and bought 3 massive, oversized teeshirts and 2 massive, oversized sweatshirts and those paired with skinnyskinny jeans and my makeup and hair did and I havent felt hotter in 6 months.

So I think huge man shirts + sexy maternity jeans + face on point = better self image. Any fatness is totally hidden inside the giant amoeba of a shirt you're wearing (cleverly disguised as street chic) and no one is tempted to sneak attack your belly. Win/win situation.
  • Your so not alone. Pre pregnancy I weighed 125 today I'm 25 weeks and I weigh in at 184! It has been HARD! Ive got cellulite, I never had, stretch marks on my bum and hips, I never had. It was so hard for me to accept. I hated my body and no matter how many people told me it was because Im pregnant, it didnt help. I was a gymnast for 12 years and had a fast metabolism, I ate what I wanted when I wanted how much I wanted and NEVER gained a pound! It was actually really hard for me to gain weight. And now I weigh more then my husband! I cant work out because im on bed rest. I'velearned that I have to accept myself and love my body with all its changes. My baby is so worth more then a few stretch marks! I have to love me and to be able to look at my naked body in a mirror and say "its okay, my body is beautiful! " its hard I know it but its happening and there's no stopping it only thing you can do is accept it.
  • We have a really lovely fitness thread going for workouts! Check the search function. As far as your body image goes I think we all have moments. Just remember you're renting yours out to a growing tenant. ;)