August 2015 Moms
Options

Delivering while sick??

Will they take my baby away if I'm sick during delivery? I've had a cough for a few days (developed while I was in the hospital). Now, I not only have the cough, but a sore throat and missing voice as well. I'm terrified they won't let me keep my baby girl if I'm sick. Should I go back to the hospital today for being sick? Or just wait until Wednesday when I see my OB. Or should I go see a regular doc?? Hopefully DH will be home soon and can call my OB after hours number, since I can't. Any suggestions are helpful!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Delivering while sick??

• Options
    I'm not sure if they would take the baby, but I would go back to the hospital- I've been twice this weekend due to a virus and am finally feeling much better:) Hope you get to feeling better too!
  • Options
    Thank you! Being sick royally sucks!!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    if I were u I would go to patient first or right time medical care something like that, asap! I had a cough that turned into bronchitis because I just kept thinking it would go away, your immune system literally sucks when you're pregnant I ended being sick for about 5 weeks and it finally went away a few days ago! good luck to you I hope u feel better!
  • Options
    That would be crazy for them to take your baby away from you because you were sick with what I assume is a cold? DD1's first year of life I came down with every cold and flu bug out there. If you plan to breastfeed, one of the benefits is baby will get some of the antibodies in the milk you are using to fight the illness yourself.

I'd definitely bring up your concerns at your OB appointment. If you need to see a doctor for your illness you probably should make an appointment with your regular doctor. Get plenty of rest and fluids in the meantime and hopefully you'll be feeling better before you c-section. You may want to call your pediatrician to get some tips on how to keep LO healthy when you're ill. 
  • Options
    I hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    Bubbles7712Bubbles7712 member
    edited August 2015
    I totally sympathize with you I have been sick for the last week and LO is due in 4 days. I am finally starting to feel better but DH is now sick (worse than I was) sore throat, coughing, congested and lots of mucous. We were hoping she would come soon but now I'm scared because I don't want her to get sick or daddy not be able to hold her because he's sick. Couldn't be worse timing.

Sending healing T&P's your way! Hoping we all feel better soon!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    They can only do what you let them. I wouldn't let them take my baby away that would be more traumatizing to baby I think. Your baby has a lot of built up Immunities from you already. I highly doubt baby would get sick and if you are nursing the chances are even lower. I was sick as a dog when I gave birth to my last one my nose was so plugged up if it weren't for Afrin I don't know if I would have been able to breath enough to make it threw labor it was bad! I had a home birth , baby never got sick. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    The on call told DH to get me some Cepacol and Gatorade to hydrate me. I'm to stay in bed, but if I get a fever, I'm to come in immediately. I'm going to try and stand my ground that I get my baby girl, since I plan to breastfeed. Thanks ladies!!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My friend had bronchitis when she delivered earlier this year. Never left her side and went home with her next day. She was breastfeeding also and baby didn't catch it at all. She was on antibiotics for like 2 weeks. To me it would be crazy to keep baby away for any length of time unless you had like whooping cough or something equally dangerous or LO was premature in which case he/she would be going to NICU anyway. Most likely your LO is getting antibodies against whatever is making you sick right now anyway. Good luck!
  • Options
    I had a terrible cold when i delivered my first. While in labor I had no symptoms and the nurses didn't believe I had a cold. Afterward my cough came back and they fonally believed me. Nurses and doctors never mentioned the cold and never suggested the baby stay away from me. I coughed all over her those first few days (breastfeeding and a cough were a rough combo). Everything was fine. She never got sick and the cold got better in a few days. I can't imagine staff would even consider taking the baby away.
  • Options
    I can't see them taking the baby away and if they tried it would be well within your rights to refuse.
  • Options
    I doubt they would take your baby away. Sounds like you just have a cold coming on, which sucks, however you will most likely be feeling better by the time your c/s rolls around. Just rest and drink lots of fluids. If you feel significantly worse, get seen by someone,
  • Options
    They probably will if you're running a fever during delivery. I was not sick, but I spiked a fever during labor and so they gave me IV antibiotics during labor because a fever is a sign of infection. Then they took LO to the NICU for 48 hours and put us both on  IV antibiotics. Luckily all mine and LO's blood work came back clear and we were both released 2 days later.
  • Options
    I hope you feel better! Rest up.
  • Options
    They would only take your baby away if you caught something contagious and dangerous, it sounds like you just have a cold so NBD. I have similar symptoms atm but my doctor said he couldn't give me anything because of the baby so it's basically bed rest and lots of honey, tea and soup. Keep on eye on it and I'd go back if you start feeling worse incase it is something else. I've heard feeling a bit ill at this point isn't uncommon and once you start feeling better the baby arrives. I'm due in 5 days so fingers crossed that's true :)>- How far along are you?
  • Options
    Your going to have this baby the rest of you life. You will have colds or flu during this time too.
    I would highly doubt they would take the baby away and best if your breastfeeding to feed baby as this is the way you protect baby by passing on immunities.

If they do mention taking baby I would seriously question them as to why and what they are planning on doing to babe that you can't do while she/ he is in your care.
    I ran a fever while delivering my son and his heart rate was 180 for almost an hour, I had antibiotics and walked the whole time in laboured this helped get the drugs in my system fast and bring little mans heart rate down. No one ever mentioned taking him from me. And If they did or tried I would have Refused.