October 2015 Moms

Anemic

Dr just called and said blood work came back and I was "severely anemic". I remember being anemic with my dd, but never got told that it was "severe". They said they would check my blood again at my next apt as well.. I obviously know it isn't good, but are there any really big worries about being really anemic?

Re: Anemic

• It can cause low birth weight or preterm labor if undetected so it's a good thing you are finding out now! 

I found out about 4 weeks ago and have since started on iron pills and an iron rich diet. I actually feel so much better and the baby had a bit of a growth spurt! 

I wouldn't stress too much - your doctor will make sure to set you up on a plan that works best for you. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm anemic so I get extra iron pills and do a more iron rich diet like pp mentioned. The pills can make you more constipated just a heads up. However once you adjust pills/diet or whatever your OB suggests you likely will feel better.

• Loading the player...
  • LM1007LM1007 member
    I was told I was severely anemic as well on Tuesday. My doc has me on iron pills and told me to stay on them until labor.
  • I found found about 4 weeks also and since then have taking the iron pills, thank fully not making me sick or constipated. But I don't really any different. I was worried also about what the effects maybe to the baby but nothing severe I read. How low was it ? Mine was 10.6 I think
  • babybumb1229babybumb1229 member
    edited August 2015
    I was told I had anemia but not severe what they told me to get was vitamin c , iron pills, and colace for the constipation. Plus my regular prenatal vitamins.
    Edit: forgot to put doctor adviced me that even after giving birth it's best to stay on all of this since it's always better to gain all I lost from baby.
  • I was told I was anemic at the beginning of my pregnancy so I have been taking iron pills since my first trimester. They made me feel a little off at first, but now I'm used to them. I'm not anemic anymore but my doctor told me to keep taking the iron pills.
  • How many mg of iron are you ladies on? I have seen iron supplements all the way from 18mg (100% daily recommend value) to 65mg (over 300% daily recommended value). I opted for the 18mg because I thought I may not experience as much constipation, but I don't think that made a difference.
  • Ask for the numbers. Low iron can be bad but around the 3rd trimester it dips, so it may look worse than it is. I'm mildly anemic and have been taking floradix, eating more iron containing foods and cut back my caffeine. I've read you can take floradix with an iron containing prenatal because it's mild, but double check. Severe anemia can lead to all kinds of issues,not just related to the baby, so you want to get it sorted out.
  • I got told Friday that I am slightly anemic. They have prescribed me iron pills to take , but I have not yet been able to pick them up.
  • I was told slightly anemic at my last appointment. I don't know if it's the same for severe, but in most cases when mommy has less iron, it's because baby is taking/using it and only mommy feels the effects. (Tired, fatigued, sluggish...) I'm sure your doctor will have a plan ready at your next appointment to help boost your iron levels. Good luck momma!
  • I was told that I am iron and vitamin d deficient this past week and dr recommended taking the 65 mg iron tablets once a day. This is my third pregnancy and 3rd time with anemia just take your pill and your baby will do great:)
  • After my glucose test I got a call from my doctor saying I'd passed it but was anemic and she wanted me to take iron supplements. She said the dosage wasn't important. I think I grabbed 60mg ones? I've been taking Colace every day to help with the constipation.
  • This is my third baby but first time to be told I was slightly anemic. My dr told me to pick up an iron supplement called Slow Fe at the store. I've been taking that daily for a few weeks now. The Slow Fe is 45mg iron.
  • rue:D said:

After my glucose test I got a call from my doctor saying I'd passed it but was anemic and she wanted me to take iron supplements. She said the dosage wasn't important. I think I grabbed 60mg ones? I've been taking Colace every day to help with the constipation.

I can't recommend floradix enough. It's non constipating and it has extra vitamins to help with absorption. I usually have it on hand for after the baby is born and it's never given me problems.
  • rue:Drue:D member
    edited August 2015
    komorebi said:

rue:D said:

After my glucose test I got a call from my doctor saying I'd passed it but was anemic and she wanted me to take iron supplements. She said the dosage wasn't important. I think I grabbed 60mg ones? I've been taking Colace every day to help with the constipation.

I can't recommend floradix enough. It's non constipating and it has extra vitamins to help with absorption. I usually have it on hand for after the baby is born and it's never given me problems.
    Thanks! I'll give that a try after I finish this bottle. :)