November 2015 Moms
Options

MIL says hates name

My mother in law flat out told me she hates one of the names we like.... Kinda broke my heart as I am very close with her and I don't want to name the baby something she hates... But if we like it should I care? The name is Bailor/Baylor for a girl.... It's different but it's growing on me! Any thought or advice on how to deal if we decide that's the name for our little girl and gma doesn't like it?

Re: MIL says hates name

• Options

From experience, my mum wasn't a fan of the name my sister chose for her little boy. But over time my mum has grown to like it. She said it took a bit of getting used to but now she likes it and can't imagine him being named anything else. So if your heart is set on that name, Grammy will get used to it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We named DS after MIL's father. DS is 21 months old now and MIL still says, "I don't like that name, it is an old man name" all the time. At first it bothered me somewhat (like when it was all she would talk about at the baby shower ), but now I just don't care any more. She is entitled to her opinion.
    For us we never considered changing the name just because she did not like it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Gapeach83Gapeach83 member
    edited July 2015
    My MIL recently told me she only likes my DD1 nickname not her full first name. Name is Evelyn she goes by Evie. It was my grandmother's name. Kinda pissed me off because the name is personal to me and she been named that for 5 yrs. Honestly there will always be someone who doesn't like the name. She likes some crazy names like Bindi and Bella Bleu. We rarely like the same names.
  • Options
    I also know we shouldn't tell people about the names we like but DH and I are the kind of people who usually like hearing others opinions (mostly because we are so picky we need others to help with suggestions). My problem is the NE I've grown to think is perfect for DD2 my MIL hates but for a difficult reason to discuss.

DH's father's side passes down DeLynn for males (I really don't like this name). We thought we'd honor it by using Delilah for this girl. Unfortunately his mother hates it because of the biblical story. I'm not religious so the name's biblical ties don't bother me and same for dh. The problem is the fact that we're not is already sometimes an issue with his family. So they would think if we chose it we are rubbing their face in it...

If it was just the fact they didn't like it I know they'd end up getting over it, like they did with DD 1's name.
  • Options
    I told my MIL if she didn't like the name I chose the she can give me suggestions.. She still has yet to tell me one.. I agree with @Pontot31 next baby NOBODY BUT MY DH AND I will know their name.. My mom looked at me like I was 50 shades of crazy when I told her but knows that I'm not changing it..
  • Options
    My mom wasn't a fan of DS1's name when I first told her, but she grew to love it and everyone agrees it suits his personality to a t.

This time we're using DH's middle names for DS2 because this will most likely be our last and I refuse to have a jr. I haven't told her because I know the fit that will ensue.
  • Options
    Well it's a good thing it's not her baby then.
    Seriously don't tell anyone the name before birth!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband told my MIL and SIL the baby's name and they both hated it. Then he confesses that he hates it too. It was "Stella". I think I can go forth and name my daughter something other people didn't like but not something that my husband wasn't on board with since it is also his child. So we had to think of a new name and this time we are not telling anyone until the baby is born. Learned our lesson! #-o

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • Options
    As long as you and your husband like it, that's all that matters. Others opinions of it are irrelevant. This is your child, not your MIL's or anyone else's, so while you can consider what she has to say, I would just let it go in one ear and right out the other.
  • Options
    I'm just curious, OP - you say the name is "growing on you" so does that mean you're not sure if you like it or not either?

I'm also in camp not telling anyone. I'm not a huge fan of either of my nieces' names, but they didn't share until the babies were born and I am sure no one has said a negative thing to them.
  • Options
    We told people our name, but we literally don't care at all what people think.  And the first person who tells me they don't like it is going to get a , "I don't care what you think" answer from me.  I think you should tell your MIL that you appreciate her opinion but you don't need any more input from her.  My name is Kayla and when I was born no one knew that name.  My grandma hated it and told my mom as much.  My mom obviously named me that anyways and my grandma grew to like it.  I would do whatever you want to do and not worry about your MIL's opinion too much.  When she gets the baby in her arms, she is going to love her the same regardless of her name.
    YCSWU 

• Options
    I have to laugh it off when people nitpick the names we've chosen. Our girl name was Charlotte Kennedy and was picked years ago after my grandmother. (People aren't fans because of the Charlotte boom that has happened.) 
    Our boy name is Oliver James and my father and his friends have said they're just going to call him O.J. and give him a glove that doesn't fit with a book that says "I Didn't Do It". Even with that we never wanted to change the names we've picked out. 

You have to be prepared for the backlash, even from the people you thought would be most supportive, you have to laugh or shrug it off. 
  • Options
    Maybe think of something to say when people do give negative feedback as well? When I was born and my grandma and grandpa came to the hospital and were told my name, the first thing out of my grandma's mouth was "well what's a Kendall?" My mom boldly said your granddaughter. So I was pretty prepared when I called grandma to tell her we are having a boy and what his name will be. We got about the same reaction my parents did so I flat out told her we chose the name because it's what we like and it's what we have decided we want to name him.
  • Options
    I don't mind telling family and close friends the name we've picked (they're all rational people who know the correct way to respond no matter what is "that's so sweet, I love it!").
    But other people, who are just being nosy and want to have an opinion on everything... We have made up a crazy name for each pregnancy and tell people seriously that is the name we are using. It's kind of hilarious to see people's reactions.
    (This time it's "well, we love nature names, so we're thinking trout" )
  • Options
    mamavbsmamavbs member
    edited July 2015
    I won't tell anyone what our name choices are this time, mainly because I just don't wanna hear the shit that comes with it. The "oh that reminds me of..." Or "I know a **** too", or "what about this..."

People can't help themselves with their opinions, I get that. But I don't need to hear that!!! My MIL outright said at a family party that my husband and i are "bad at naming children". (We aren't, our kids have normal names that are spelt correctly. We just didn't call them what they constantly suggested.) She keeps pressuring us to tell her... So I'm close to making up some HORRIFIC names and telling her those.

I've found people are better when you just introduce your kid with their name.

Personally, if my MIL hated the name, I'd love it even more and ask her what other names she hates- throw those in too ;-)

Edit-no good with the spelling today
  • Options
    I am team keep the names to yourself. This is pregnancy #4 for DH and I and we have never told anyone the names we chose for our children. Dh mom never said if she did or didn't like our names for DD1&2 bc she knows her opinion doesn't matter to us (we've never been on good terms). Though she did suggest 2 names this time, since we are having our 1st boy she said we should name the baby after DH father who passed. I asked DH if that's what he wanted but he said "no, we know to many Christopher's and I don't want that name." Before we miscarried with pregnancy #3 we had picked a name we liked for both boy/girl then when we became pregnant with baby #4 we decided he/she will get that name bc we loved it so much.

My family has never said a word about our girls names once they were born (Easton & Quinn) but I don't think they would even if we told them beforehand. After dd1 my dad was going to get a tattoo with her name since she is the first grandchild but my mom said "are you going to do that for all your other grandchildren?" Knowing my dad, the answer would have been yes lol.

Op i say tell your mil she had her chance to name her kids and now it's your turn. Is she going to love your child any less bc she doesn't like your child's name choice? If she does shame on her and your better off without her.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure what I thought of it at first when my hubby suggested it, but I'm liking it more as days go by and we look at more and more names.... Maybe because my mil hates it, it makes me like it more?
  • Options
    We've only told parents and my best friend who is also pregnant so she knows the deal with names. I told my mom I would tell her but I didn't want to hear any comments. MIL seemed to like the name we picked when we told her. She's just so excited to finally be getting a grandchild at 66 years old that she probably doesn't even care what we call him.
  • Options
    My husband told both of our parents about what we were planning on naming baby #2. Everyone had a lot of critical opinions and alternate suggestions. The thing they don't understand is the names my in laws are comfortable with, my parents can't pronounce and vice versa. No one will ever be on the same page. Really made me mad because they both had their own kids and named them whatever ridiculous names they wanted at the time. Ugh!
  • Options
    My nieces name is Baylor! I absolutely love it! She's this adorable little blonde haired blue eyed toddler who is just the sweetest little thing! The name was a hit in our area and everyone comments on it positively ( no we don't live near Baylor U) I say go for it!!
  • Options
    helskos said:

It's posts like these that make me happy to be team green. Most questions stop after people ask if I know what I'm having.

Sorry your MIL hates the name you picked but are you really trying to please her? Go with what you and your husband want. I don't even understand when it became appropriate for people to tell moms to be that they hate the name they picked out for their baby? So rude if you ask me! I was always taught to just smile and say something positive.

Agree people stop questions after asking what I am having! I have a girl name picked that I ran by my mom who would never say anything bad, I am having problems with a boy name though
  • Options
    crysgxcrysgx member
    The handful of people Ive shared the names Madeline or Violet with, first thing they say... "Violet you're turning violet!" .., thanks willy wonka.
  • Options
    crysgx said:
    The handful of people Ive shared the names Madeline or Violet with, first thing they say... "Violet you're turning violet!" .., thanks willy wonka.
    I love the name Madeline.  I always think, "Twelve little girls in two straight lines, the youngest one was Madeline."  I wanted to name this little one Madeline Rose because she'll be the youngest (and my tubes will be tied so she'll always be the youngest) but bf nixed that idea.  He said, "We already have one well intentioned trouble maker, do we really need another?"
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    lyankowi said:

helskos said:

It's posts like these that make me happy to be team green. Most questions stop after people ask if I know what I'm having.

Sorry your MIL hates the name you picked but are you really trying to please her? Go with what you and your husband want. I don't even understand when it became appropriate for people to tell moms to be that they hate the name they picked out for their baby? So rude if you ask me! I was always taught to just smile and say something positive.

Agree people stop questions after asking what I am having! I have a girl name picked that I ran by my mom who would never say anything bad, I am having problems with a boy name though
    We are struggling with both boy and girl names. Figure we have some time though. My mom would also never say anything bad about a name I pick so I would run the names by her. Unless it's really bad hahaha.

Boys names are tough. SO likes Satchel as in the baseball player. Um NO WAY!! I better come up with a name quick before this LO might be named after a coach bag.
  • Options
    This is why my husband and I are keeping the name a secret. We've told everyone that it's a boy, but the name is saved for once he's born. If you tell people your options, they may see that as you asking for input in choosing.
  • Options
    We aren't sharing our name with people we know as we aren't interested in their opinions. If I ask I expect positive or negative feedback but unsolicited advice on a child's name is rude. Sorry, I'd just stop mentioning it.
    DS- June 2009

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Like a cardboard baler?
  • Options
    Caffrey54Caffrey54 member
    edited August 2015
    My in laws hate our name too they want us to name his a super common name and we wanted something a little unique since we live in a big city, so we went with Colton. I think more than anything they hate that the middle name is my dads name (Troy) but this is his first grandson and may be the only kid we will be having so it seemed fitting. I just say they can get over it or they don't need to see him, but I have other problems with my in laws too.
  • Options
    Unless someone plans on "sharing the carrying " of the baby they get no rights to be overly opniinated about the name. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. I've had some people who didn't like the name we picked out for our daughter Kenzie Belle (her name starts with K like her dad & Belle was his great-grandmothers middle name) I love it. He loves it. That's all that matters.