Baby Names
Options

Orion

Is this horrible for a boy? My husband absolutely loves it and I'm kind of fond of it as well. We had a girls name picked in a day but could not agree on a boys name. So of course we are having a boy haha. Any feed back on Orion (if you hate it, say it!) Would be appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Orion

• Options
    May please phonetically spell out how you intend the name to be pronounced please? I want to know what it is supposed to be, before I comment. Thank you
  • Options
    O-ryan. As in the constellation
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would have to middle name it if anything. I knew someone named O'Neill (which sounds the same, like it's supposed to be an Irish/Scottish last name). Give him a solid first name.
  • Options
    O-ryan. As in the constellation

Thank you. I don't have an issue with the name. I think it's different and kind of cool. Is there a particular reason why DH likes it so much? 

• Options
    He's really big into astronomy and has always loved the name. He said he wished it was his haha.
  • Options
    I have a friend who named her son Orion. I don't hate it but it seems like a mouthful for some reason.
  • Options
    It was on my boys list. I love it.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    That's not how I would have pronounced based on that spelling. I think he will be correcting people for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    It's not bad, it's not my style personally but I wouldn't side eye it either.
  • Options
    I don't think it will be mispronounced. Most people are familiar with Orion. It just feels a little nerdy and out there to me. Would be a good middle name tho.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    I prefer it as a mn, but I wouldn't side eye it as a first name. I've always thought it was kind of cool.
    I wouldn't worry about pronunciation. Most people are familiar with the constellation.
  • Options
    I think you could get away with it. NMS but I like it.
  • Options
    I like it! My DH loves astronomy, and I made a list of star themed names to consider. Orion was the only male name I liked, but I love Cassiopeia and Stella. :)
  • Options
    I like it, and think it's cool. I don't think anyone will have a problem pronouncing it at all.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    ecwkecwk member
    You don't need to worry about people pronouncing it correctly. You both seem passionate about it, go for it!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Thinking Embree for a middle name (DH middle name). And we like that it's nerdy, we are a bit nerdy ourselves ;)
  • Options
    I like Orion.
  • Options
    I love it! I knew a kid in college named Orion and was jealous that he had a unique name that wasn't stupid. I think it's even better that there's a reason behind it!
  • Options
    @herewegrow thank you! Wasn't sure if it was "too out there"
  • Options
    emikatemikat member
    Love it. Would be on my short list if I hadn't used it on a cat years ago. Dang it! There are so few boys names I love.

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• Options
    I wouldn't mispronounce it. 

That being said, I know a little boy with the name, and it just seems weird. I think that it is a cool middle name though. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    I think it's a great name! However he will forever hear the question "like the constellation?" But if he inherits his daddy's passion for astronomy he will think he has the coolest name ever!
  • Options
    My husband and I both love it. Thanks for reminding me to or his back on my list! ;)
  • Options
    I like it, it is a bit nerdy, but I think a little boy could "wear it well". Side note: It is also the name of the spacecraft that just orbited the earth last year and will be going to the moon in a few and then Mars.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I actually really like it.
  • Options
    Orion Reed is the name my fiancee and I had decided on if we have a boy!
  • Options
    I have a cousin named Orion. He is a bright, adventurous lovely little boy. It suits him to a T. If you like it, go for it!