January 2016 Moms
Options

BF'ing mamas or mamas who just know about this!!!

Are lactating cookies good for mamas who plan to go back to work?

I ask because I know if baby is in daycare you'll need to have a certain number of bottles but don't want formula. So would eat them make boost your supply but my thing is will it regulate back to normal? All types of info is good.

Re: BF'ing mamas or mamas who just know about this!!!

• Options
    Agree with the post above. Wait until your supply comes in, you may find you are an over-producer! Oatmeal and mothers milk tea helps a lot too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with all of what was said above. But also remember, every baby is different too :). The tea I drank made my youngest son too gassy, but the oatmeal was fine in his system... Where's my older kids when they were babies could tolerate anything and everything I consumed lol.
    It is by nature touch and go for a while, but good to know your options ahead of time!! Good luck!!!

• Options
    Breastfeeding is a bio-feedback mechanism. The breasts replace milk when it is removed. The more milk that is removed, the more you will produce.

I had an oversupply when I went back to work because I had been pumping to build up a freezer stash for DD. yes, the letdown was extremely strong and sometimes she would choke, but she got used to it very quickly. Just make sure you have a burp cloth right on hand when you're feeding - which you should anyway for burping and such.
    With my oversupply it took a while to regulate to normal, but I felt very fortunate to have more than enough as opposed to struggling to make enough. I never tried lactation cookies so I can't tell you if they work. But I would wait to see how you're producing. (Extra tip - don't give the baby a paci. DD never liked them, but if the baby has a paci to suck on then they aren't removing milk - and if they aren't hungry they won't nurse.)
  • Options

Breastfeeding is a bio-feedback mechanism. The breasts replace milk when it is removed. The more milk that is removed, the more you will produce.

I had an oversupply when I went back to work because I had been pumping to build up a freezer stash for DD. yes, the letdown was extremely strong and sometimes she would choke, but she got used to it very quickly. Just make sure you have a burp cloth right on hand when you're feeding - which you should anyway for burping and such.
    With my oversupply it took a while to regulate to normal, but I felt very fortunate to have more than enough as opposed to struggling to make enough. I never tried lactation cookies so I can't tell you if they work. But I would wait to see how you're producing. (Extra tip - don't give the baby a paci. DD never liked them, but if the baby has a paci to suck on then they aren't removing milk - and if they aren't hungry they won't nurse.)

Love this I won't be giving baby a paci either I've had to ween my nephew off of one it was hard. It became a comfort for him. I just really wanna store up milk for when I go back to work.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies I won't be making any decision until I know how much milk I will produce. It was more of should I do it to store up the milk for later use to when I'm away or daddy is with baby and needs milk.
  • Options
    Also, if you have an oversupply, that first night that baby sleeps 6 hours straight is so, so painful in the morning. Trust.
  • Options
    Paige6410 said:

Also, if you have an oversupply, that first night that baby sleeps 6 hours straight is so, so painful in the morning. Trust.

Yes I am dreading those engorged nights when baby decides he or she is fine lol. I'm just trying get stocked up on all the breastfeeding knowledge I can because I don't want to formula feed although I know sometimes breastfeeding doesn't always work out for some mamas.
  • Options
    BBEA2006 said:

As a FTM, you won't know what you produce until your milk comes in.  My suggestion is to wait and see what your body produces on your own and then if you are lacking or not getting enough to store, then try the cookies.  Otherwise, I have heard that women will go straight for something to boost their supply and have an oversupply where they choke their babies when nursing and never get relief b/c they are always full of milk.

I know that I don't produce a ton, so I do things right away to boost.  

Good luck!
    I know it'll take a couple of days I'm just wondering about when I go back to work. I wanna store up breast milk in freezer for daddy to use or one of the grandmas.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Paige6410 said:

Yes I am dreading those engorged nights when baby decides he or she is fine lol. I'm just trying get stocked up on all the breastfeeding knowledge I can because I don't want to formula feed although I know sometimes breastfeeding doesn't always work out for some mamas.
    The book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a great resource, and maybe also check out kellymom.com - website on evidence-based BFing.

Eta more info
  • Options
    mg137mg137 member
    What worked best for me was the powder from some special kind of asparagus root. The supplement starts with an S but I can't forget the name. I'm sure someone else here knows it. The pills didn't work. Just the organic powder, which tastes horrendous. I struggled with supply on and off the whole 15 months I nursed my girls so I would have eaten cat poop if it helped.
  • Options
    mg137 said:

What worked best for me was the powder from some special kind of asparagus root. The supplement starts with an S but I can't forget the name. I'm sure someone else here knows it. The pills didn't work. Just the organic powder, which tastes horrendous. I struggled with supply on and off the whole 15 months I nursed my girls so I would have eaten cat poop if it helped.

Lol cat poop I get it you'd do anything for your girls that's wonderful.
  • Options
    I agree with a pp that kellymom.com was a fantastic resource and helped me through most of my bf struggles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I agree with a pp that kellymom.com was a fantastic resource and helped me through most of my bf struggles.

Yes just looked at the site and I do highly appreciate the recommendation to this site.
  • Options
    What all these ladies said. I'm a FTM but my best friend just had a baby and she drank the tea right away and quickly dramatically over produced. She didn't need any help until a few months later when her supply became responsive to baby's needs instead of hormones. But she found the mothers milk tea very helpful.
  • Options
    Jessdub10Jessdub10 member
    edited August 2015
    Paige6410 said:

I guess it is true that we tend to forget the difficulties of pregnancy/newborn stage ... It all just came back to me - so many nights of pumping while baby girl slept and all I wanted was to sleep like a normal person again. (Dd is an excellent sleeper but was not great at nursing so I pumped to keep up my supply). The cookies worked well for me. They were delicious too, I would change it up and add chocolate and/or dried fruit. Plus, they were good to have around when you were hungry but also forgetting to eat ... Ah newborns :)

ETA - to answer the rest of your question - my supply would go back to normal (too low) if I didn't keep eating cookies/tea/fenugreek
  • Options
    Second the recommendation for The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, it's an excellent book.

It sounds simple, Breastfeeding is truly supply and demand. The best thing you can do to establish a good supply (which will also help with pumping when you return to work) is nurse frequently. Baby removes milk from the breast (assumptions - the latch is good, you don't have flat nipples, etc), body is signaled to produce more milk. It's a wonderful relationship.

When DS was 4 weeks old, I started pumping just once per day to build a freezer stash and I ended up with major over supply (I could pump 15oz in 10 minutes) and a strong letdown, but DS adjusted. :)
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Options
    In my experience, nothing I ate (oatmeal, beer, lactation cookies, mothers milk tea, etc.) gave my milk enough of a boost for it to ever be a problem. I did, however end up with an oversupply from pumping too much.
  • Options
    skfgskfg member
    I agree re: waiting to see how your supply is when your milk comes in. I second Kelly's Mom and the book rec. Be prepared to drink and eat lot as well. I found electrolyte water very helpful.
  • Options
    Second time SAHM here. I agree with the above. Wait on your supply and consult kellymom.com. It was a great resource.