Breastfeeding
Options

How many times to pump to maintain supply (Excl pumping)?

hi everyone! I have two week old twins and right now I am exclusively pumping. They were in the NICU for 12 days and they are stil too small to latch. Meeting with the LC in a week. My question is though, I am currently pumping 6-7 times a day and once at night, and have built up to about 700 mls a day. How much do I need to pump now to maintain supply? Keep at the current schedule? I am supplementing w some formula and I am expecting that might have to continue but I would like to try to give them as much breastmilk as I can, obviously.

Re: How many times to pump to maintain supply (Excl pumping)?

• Options
    I would try to keep at the same schedule, 8 times in 24 hrs, for a couple more weeks. Hopefully you will continue to increase production. Good luck and congrats!

• Options
    I'm now nursing 80% of the time and pumping 20% but I started with 80% pumped milk (for a variety of reasons: tongue tie, disorganized suck-swallow pattern, etc.). 

I was able to keep increasing supply with 6 pumps per day but I pumped for 45-60min each time. It also matters which pump you use. I rented the Medela Symphony for two months and then bought the Spectra S1 at around 7-8 weeks, which helped me increase supply further.