June 2015 Moms

Feeding your baby...support and concerns 7/20-7/26

Re: Feeding your baby...support and concerns 7/20-7/26

• klkonwi said:

The only thing I tell patients is that if baby stays on the breast longer than 45 min to an hour. Pull him off....... He is using you as a pacifier.

Yeah I only let him stay 25 minutes-30 minutes max on each breast. he's a slow eater. Even baby wise talks about cluster feedings! He said he's just snacking on me and not feeding if he cluster feeds. But I agree...he's not even a month old and if I'm ok with it then why should I make him stop. I want to make sure he's getting enough to eat! It took him 45 minutes to cry it out from my 10am feeding and he is sleeping but then I'll have to wake him up at 1 to eat again.
  • Loading the player...
  • mellymar said:

Not criticizing anybody if they choose to follow the cry it out for 2 hours advice, but there is no way I'd let my kid cry for 2 hours if I could do something about it. I read somewhere that when they 'cry it out' for a long time and finally stop crying, its because they've given up. That just breaks my heart, the idea of something so young giving up hope that they will get food or comfort or help or whatever. Of course, sometimes they cry for hours on end despite whatever we do, but that's a whole other thing. Or letting him cry for a few minutes while i eat something or use the bathroom or grab a brief shower, thats a whole other thing, too. But none of that is going to take longer than 10 ish minutes. Needless to say, I will not be following any cry it out advice.

I would never let my baby cry it out for 2 hours. He meant for me to not feed sooner than 2 hours. It takes my LO an hour to eat. It's a wine, stop, wine thing he does. If he was wailing for more than 10-15 minutes I would have been feeding him. I did that last night and he took 3 sucks and fell asleep. So I think he justed wanted a pacifier. I only let him wail if I'm in the shower. the whole "given up" thing makes me want to cry! That's so sad :(
  • @jesshrou ah, I gotya. My bad. My LO is 5 weeks and combination bf and formula fed, and there are times where he will take a whole meal (bf and formula bottle) starting an hour after I finished the last meal. Of course, he is also a very slow eater. Like yours, he can happily be on the boob 20-30 minutes per side. But when he is acting like he wants boob, I give it to him. In my case I am trying to encourage supply when that happens cause I have been struggling there. But I would think that would kinda apply to you, too. As long as he is truly nursing (swallowing) wouldn't you want him to feed more often so your supply regulates and meets demand? Cause once the cluster is over he will want / need more milk. Hmm...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mellymar right I thought that was the point to help increase supply to get what they need. I'm going to follow more baby wise theory of the time and demand feeding schedule. We'll see how it goes.
  • I took stock of my freezer stash today and am quite happy with the 95.5 oz I have. Hopefully my right side bounces back quickly from mastitis.

If I have to cut out dairy, should I hold on to my stash and keep it until she's 6 mo old? I can't stand the idea of getting rid of that much. DS was so much easier. ..
  • JessHeppellJessHeppell member
    edited July 2015
    Sammy K said:

I took stock of my freezer stash today and am quite happy with the 95.5 oz I have. Hopefully my right side bounces back quickly from mastitis.

If I have to cut out dairy, should I hold on to my stash and keep it until she's 6 mo old? I can't stand the idea of getting rid of that much. DS was so much easier. ..

i would mix the "contaminated" milk amongst the dairy free stuff. that way you dont waste it.
    put small amounts in each bottle or something like that.

edit for clarity
  • KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited July 2015
    So yesterday at LOs weight check the ped recommended that when I bf I feed on one breast 15 min and then switch to the other and do that one for 5 mins, alternating every feeding. His concern is that he doesn't want LO to 'wear himself out at the breast' and so he won't take his formula supplement afterward. I get that, but LO likes to take his time on the boob, and even after 20-30 min per side will still be excited for a bottle. So... I'm not following that advice. I will go ahead and cut LO off at 15 min per side if he looks like he is not participating, and I will still always offer his formula after (that was probably the problem with his weight gain, he seemed satisfied after some boob sessions so we didn't offer formula), but I'm concerned if I cut the time of his sessions to 5 min every other boob my supply will go down. Am I being irrational here? I would think as long as LO is offered the formula no matter what and he doesn't seem too tired to eat it (he never has before) then what does it matter if he spends longer that 5 min on the boob?

ETA I don't want to jeopardize his growth, but as long as he still has the energy to get his formula, I don't see that this does?
  • seeseaseesea member
    @mellymar when Spitty was in the NICU we had to limit feedings to 30 minutes. Whether it was bottle feeding or breastfeeding. So I would do 15-20 with breastfeeding then the remaining 10-15 with the bottle. Any more than 30 minutes he could potentially burn more calories than he was consuming and not have sufficient weight gain.

I know our situations are different but maybe that's what the dr meant by not wanting LO to wear himself out? I know you're worried about supply too so if it seems as though your LO isn't too tired or sleepy while eating, just trust your instincts and keep going.
  • @CillyMama aaahhhhh. That makes sense. Good reason for not letting him linger. Definitely a reason to keep a sharp eye on his energy when feeding either with the bottle or boob. I want him to eat, but he also needs to eat efficiently.

That's helpful, thank you.
  • jesshrou said:

My pediatrician told me to quit cluster feeding. That I need to let him cry it out until it's been 2 hours. He's 3 weeks old today. Anyone else gotten this advice? I hate seeing him cry with hunger cues.

Never... Should be feeding on demand
  • Sammy K said:

I took stock of my freezer stash today and am quite happy with the 95.5 oz I have. Hopefully my right side bounces back quickly from mastitis.

Not sure but I just labeled it all with a big D. And then didn't label any milk pumped post dairy elimination. Everyone I know how had this issue had it resolved by 6 months so I'll use it then. Or if its a little sooner I'll try to do just one "dairy" bottle a day. I really hope to reintroduce it by 4 months. Formula would be worse as it all has casein if its milk based. I guess we'd use soy?
  • @jesshrou CIO for 2 hours??? 2 hours??? I don't care how old your baby is, that seems barbaric (and I'm a supporter of CIO in general). My limit of whine cries is about 7 minutes. As soon as it turns into actual crying I get her. She whines herself to sleep many times.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • mellymar said:

So yesterday at LOs weight check the ped recommended that when I bf I feed on one breast 15 min and then switch to the other and do that one for 5 mins, alternating every feeding. His concern is that he doesn't want LO to 'wear himself out at the breast' and so he won't take his formula supplement afterward. I get that, but LO likes to take his time on the boob, and even after 20-30 min per side will still be excited for a bottle. So... I'm not following that advice. I will go ahead and cut LO off at 15 min per side if he looks like he is not participating, and I will still always offer his formula after (that was probably the problem with his weight gain, he seemed satisfied after some boob sessions so we didn't offer formula), but I'm concerned if I cut the time of his sessions to 5 min every other boob my supply will go down. Am I being irrational here? I would think as long as LO is offered the formula no matter what and he doesn't seem too tired to eat it (he never has before) then what does it matter if he spends longer that 5 min on the boob?

ETA I don't want to jeopardize his growth, but as long as he still has the energy to get his formula, I don't see that this does?

You should get an SNS system. It's supplemental nutrition system. There are different models but in a nut shell it's either a syringe or a bottle with a tube attached and you can tape it along side your boob and when little latches you get the tube in his mouth too so you're getting stimulation while he eats as well. Your pediatrician should have a lactation consult in office or can recommend you to one. I got an SNS for free from office. Medela also sells them. @mellymar
  • @jesshrou CIO for 2 hours??? 2 hours??? I don't care how old your baby is, that seems barbaric (and I'm a supporter of CIO in general). My limit of whine cries is about 7 minutes. As soon as it turns into actual crying I get her. She whines herself to sleep many times.

I didn't explain myself well in my post. He meant I should space feedings out to no sooner than 2 hours. CIO for 2 hours is ridiculous and I would go insane. I've been at 1 hour 45 minutes today...close enough. The boy likes to eat! He'll sometimes give me one 4 hour feeding stretch at night. The whole time he's whining/crying were holding/rocking him. I think the witching hour has started though. He fussed for an entire hour after his 8pm feed.
  • I only took his advice for 1/2 the day yesterday. Maybe it's because my pediatrician is a male? I think men have a harder time truly understanding breastfeeding. I'm not sure I would have gotten the same advice from a female doctor in the practice. I've been trying to follow baby wise and that book says to feed on demand for the first month.
  • That's great. I'm not familiar with baby wise but feeding on demand at all times will meet the needs of babe always. Doctors sometimes aren't up to date on times, new studies, and they don't realize that formula feeding is quite different than breastfeeding. Some will tell you to supplement if you need to, but they don't tell you to pump while the baby has a bottle for example. Not to mention formula companies will generally pay doctors to advertise or recommend and give out free samples of their products. It's advertising. I'm not saying this is the case, but I would take his advise with a grain of salt. Better yet, switch doctors. IMO
  • @jesshrou I was told in the hospital and by the ped that cluster feeding is totally normal and expected in the first few months, when they go through growth spurts every few weeks. At 3 weeks I would think trying to get on a schedule would just be a lot of wasted stress for you and LO. Just my 2 cents.
  • Question about storing. I read it's best down the road to have your storage bags be "3 oz, 2 oz, 5oz, etc" vs 2.5, 3.75oz, etc. I have been pumping until I'm empty and sometimes that means the total is 5.25 oz! Milk is precious and I don't want to waste any of it- what do you do??
  • I freeze in 4oz increments and save any excess or shortage in the fridge to combine with the next days pumped milk. I have some 2oz bags from early in the game so we'll use those when we just need a tiny bit. I found we mostly used full.bottles with DS1 and 4oz was his max consumption. We save excess milk for the next feed, that might be breaking the rules.
  • I'm EBF so my stash is only for going back to work...oh well
  • I remember some of you had thrush, how do I know if I have it? I looked at kelly mom but still can't tell. For the past couple weeks I've had random pain while breastfeeding. It's usually on my right side but has happened on the left also. It doesn't seem to bother my LO, just me. It's pretty painful although I can usually continue feeding her or I switch to the other side.
  • I save a bunch of different increments and keep a log on the fridge so I can cross off each individual one as I use it. I know how much she takes differs throughout the day and if I waste even an oz I'll be so sad.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I am beyond frustrated with these clogged ducts. And somehow she tore up my nipple on that side almost as bad as the beginning. I don't know what is going on but maybe it's the sign I need to get her lip tie and tongue tie fixed. I've been wavering on actually doing it. I just want to cry.
  • @dancegurl1118 I don't know anything about clogged ducts but I wonder if fixing her ties will make her nurse and empty your breasts more efficiently and help with your clogged ducts? Just a wild theory.
  • It seems like clogged ducts are definitely a symptom of tongue tied. Here's a bulletin from the AAP that lists it. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52ee7826e4b07fbe8885e2ab/t/53183434e4b0e91cea15c7d2/1394095156773/BBM-8-27+Newsletter.pdf

I would absolutely look into getting them fixed if I were you.
  • I remember some of you had thrush, how do I know if I have it? I looked at kelly mom but still can't tell. For the past couple weeks I've had random pain while breastfeeding. It's usually on my right side but has happened on the left also. It doesn't seem to bother my LO, just me. It's pretty painful although I can usually continue feeding her or I switch to the other side.

I'm being treated for thrush of the ducts and nipple. For me it was intense, deep, sharp pain. It was all the time, but worse just after feeding. Also burning nipple pain if anything touched them--including water when showering. Hope that helps!
  • caitlincunncaitlincunn member
    edited August 2015

I'm being treated for thrush of the ducts and nipple. For me it was intense, deep, sharp pain. It was all the time, but worse just after feeding. Also burning nipple pain if anything touched them--including water when showering. Hope that helps!

Thanks! It's really weird that it's not all the time although the last couple days I've noticed it bothering me more. Just while she eats and maybe a few minutes after. I don't think I have burning though,showering has been fine. Did your lo have any white in their mouth? I haven't looked yet but guess I should. I have my 6 week check up Monday morning so will mention it then.

• @caitlincunn no, LO didn't have thrush, but apparently that can happen. He's still being treated though, in case it was sub clinical. Def have it checked out. Maybe it's different if it's only thrush of the nipple.
  • @caitlincunn no, LO didn't have thrush, but apparently that can happen. He's still being treated though, in case it was sub clinical. Def have it checked out. Maybe it's different if it's only thrush of the nipple.

Ok thanks!
  • I had thrush with my first. This time i do have stabbing random pains and painful letdowns but its not thrush. With thrush all I though about all day was my boob pain, that bad. And my nipples burned and itched constantly. Bras and nursing pads felt like sandpaper.

I have those shooting pains right now and my nipples are on fire. I think its early mastitis because I have a red spot and the chills. I'm at work so I am pumping the cramp out of them and trying to move slowly since I can't lie down. Don't want to leave unless I spike a fever. Ugh. I'm sure its because I did a hard bike ride yesterday. With DS1 intense exercise=mastitis, here we go again.
  • Any idea or experiences with getting rid of a milk blister on the nipple? What in the ever loving hell is going on with me... ~X( :((
  • Any idea or experiences with getting rid of a milk blister on the nipple? What in the ever loving hell is going on with me... ~X( :((

Burning hot washcloth to nipple and hand expression. Not pleasant. Make sure you do it in a clean environment so no infection. I assume it causing the clot otherwise you could just leave it alone.
  • Just called the clinic to see about an rx for mastitis. Definitely have it - chills, fever, body aches, super sore boobs and the left it bright red. There goes my supply, thought I was going to avoid it with this kid.
  • @henrytviii Ugh I'm so sorry. Feel better soon!
  • @henryviii I hope you're feeling better soon!
  • I am going back to work in 2 weeks. I've been breastfeeding all summer. I've been pumping to get a stash started. I really hate pumping like no other. Someone mentioned freemies (https://www.freemie.com/index.html) to me today. It seems like it could make pumping a little easier. Does anyone have any experience with this?
  • Poor LO is dealing with thrush right now but now I'm noticing she is crying during feeds... Doctor wants to finish meds for thrush in case the pain is from the thrush but my gut is telling me it's silent reflux...she gulps and sounds like she's swallowing spit up back down after feeds. Anyone dealing with reflux especially silent? What meds are working and have any of you used a probiotic to help?