Trouble TTC

Premature LH surge, or false positive OPK with Bravelle?

I had a 75mg injection of Bravelle last night, CD 6.  Today, CD 7, I had a faint positive line on OPK.

Usually, on OPKs, I have a faint line a day before a strong positive.  This is way, way too early, though.  It seems like I surge early when I'm medicated (CD 10 instead of CD 13, where I tend to surge when unmedicated), but this is too early.

I'm trying to read up on both premature LH surging (a thing that happens) and false positive OPK on Bravelle (which also seems to be a thing that happens, at least in theory, where the OPK misreads the HSG as LH).

Have any of you experienced either of these?

I'm gearing up for my 4th IUI, using letrozole/femara and bravelle, with plans to use a trigger shot.  My next ultrasound is Monday, CD 10.  I was already worried that I'd surge early and we'd have to skip the trigger shot (and the way it helps with timing), but this is way too early.  I'm using Walgreens OPK, not the digital kind.
Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Re: Premature LH surge, or false positive OPK with Bravelle?

• GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited July 2015
    OPKs are not like pregnancy tests.  There is no 'faint positive'.  In order for it to be positive, the line has to be equal or darker than the control line.    Some women have OPK lines through out their entire cycles.

Injects usually are made up of FSH and some have LH, which OPK's test for, so I wouldn't bother with using them.  When on injects you should be getting ultrasounds to check follie sizes and regular bloodwork to check your LH levels.  If you look like you might surge too early, the RE would have you take a different shot to suppress ovulation.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Thanks!  

I have had pretty regular results with OPKs, getting nothing, nothing, nothing, then a day with a faint line, and then a day with a dark (positive) line.  With that as my history, I was concerned to see a faint line on CD 7!

And I have had somewhat early LH surges (CD 10) on this medication, and my RE has considered putting me on something to hold it off, but I think she wants to try to limit how many drugs she throws at me (which I appreciate).  If I do actually surge tomorrow, she'll probably do that next cycle.  

I guess I can only wait and see if I get a dark line tomorrow, or if it just stays faint.  I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday (it would have been earlier but my RE only does weekend appointments when absolutely necessary).
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• Loading the player...
  • And good news!  There wasn't even a faint line on the test this morning, so it's not a premature surge after all!  I'll attribute the faint line to the bravelle shot.  Thanks @GoldenKeys!!!

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.