October 2015 Moms

Low blood pressure help?

Anyone have any advice on how to increase your blood pressure? I'm 31 weeks pregnant and I've always had low blood pressure, but it's horrible now that I'm in my third trimester. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every. single. time. I stand up, I get really heavy legs, lose my vision, and nearly fall to the ground. I have to grip whatever's around me with all my might. It passes of course in just a few seconds, but it's getting more and more ridiculous. 

I've tried drinking more water. I've tried eating more salts. I don't know what to do!

Sometimes I'll be standing for a while--like cooking supper or something, and drop something on the ground. I squat down for just a second, and stand back up and nearly pass out.  

It was also really bad in the few months after I gave birth to my daughter in 2013. I remember squatting in front of her while she was in the jolly jumper, standing up to get something, and that's the last thing I remember. I passed out cold, but thankfully fell backwards away from her. I could have killed her and it really upset met. My husband just heard a loud thud and came rushing over.  

My family doctor didn't give me any advice at the time other than increasing my salt intake, so I'm just hoping someone here can offer some ideas!

Re: Low blood pressure help?

• I also have very low blood pressure.  I have just had to learn to get up very slowly.  It takes some training, but as long as I don't get up too fast, I don't really run into issues with it.  It is definitely worse in pregnancy.  I am extremely careful to grip something when I stand if I've been sitting or lying down for a while.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Increasing fluids and salt didn't help me either. It was so bad with DS, the dr gave me a very lose dose med to bring it up a little. It wasn't so woozy and after I had baby I didn't have to worry about passing out from the blood loss.