October 2015 Moms

Shaving

ok, my belly is so huge I can barely shave. I can get the bottom of my legs, but the bikini area is totally out of range. I can't even see what's going on down there. I am considering getting a bikini wax because i take my kids swimming a lot, but I have never had one and don't even know if they are safe during pregnancy.. Also I don't want to be embarrassed when I give birth and it is literally a jungle down there. My mother in law will be in the room.. What is everyone else doing as far as hair maintenance?

Re: Shaving

• Waxing is perfectly safe during pregnancy! Just be sure you're going to a place that's trustworthy and clean! My days working in a spa brought in lots of moms-to-be in need of some maintenance down there. The only thing I'd warn you about is that it is a little more painful during pregnancy due to hormones & heightened nerves but it's not unbearable and the results are sooo worth the few min of pain. I know I'm definitely getting a wax or 2 in the weeks to come lol.
  • I gave up shaving at about 24 weeks. I haven't heard about waxing being off limits during pregnancy. I actually plan on getting a Brazilian because we'll be in the water a lot this summer. If you're unsure, though, ask your physician :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    :) visit my blog to get easy recipes & mom stuff: http://somestufforwhatever.wordpress.com  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Take a mirror with you in the shower! That's what I have been doing and it actually goes pretty well. Just need to make sure it's not hot in there cause then the mirror gets foggy lol.
  • My DH has been helping me keep trim with my handy dandy electric trimmer. Got to love that man!  :x
    ~~ October Siggy Challenge - Amazing/Horrible Pregnancy Costumes ~~

Image result for pregnancy halloween costumes

IAmPregnant Ticker
    FTM - Oct. 22, 2015
  • Waxing is plenty safe but I will tell you I got my first one about 5 weeks ago and I truly don't think I will be going back. I have a very high pain tolerance and it was pretty painful. The day after I sat on an ice pack because it was still so sore. :/ I will stick to having the SO help me if I need it from here on out.
  • I will also add I was in the process of laser hair removal before I got pregnant and you can't continue while pregnant and I thought waxing hurt way worse and took about 30 minutes to do!
  • Trust me the last thing you will be thinking about is how your va j j looks when your in labor. I don't have the balls to wax, I tried once and Omg I was in pain and I bruised and bled. With my first I let dh trim it up but that didn't go well. The mirror thing worked pretty well but it gave me the sads when I saw how ugly and swollen everything was down there.
  • NukkeNukke member
    This poster is hanging in my midwife's office (FYI)

I've just been trimming.  
  • I had my yoo hoo sugared once and about died from the pain- ended up with bruising! Forget that! If I swim I wear a swim skirt and just tidy things up with an electric trimmer :)
  • I get waxed all the time (legs and Brazilian) and it's really not so bad! I wouldn't call it enjoyable but it's definitely worth it. And it's completely safe during pregnancy. Just go somewhere reputable - a good waxer makes all the difference. Bruising should only happen if you have a crappy waxer who goes over the same spot over and over.
  • I also have been getting Brazilians since before I was pregnant and every 3 weeks during.  It's a lifesaver since I can't see anything, and I would not necessarily say it is more painful.  It is just painful in different areas.  By my thoughts: if I can't handle a brazilian wax how would I possible handle delivering a child?  (This is not meant to disagree with those who are saying it's horribly painful, it's just something that helps me put it into perspective).  I actually kind of like the idea of testing my pain tolerance before I have the baby - is that super weird?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Interesting re the poster in the doctor's office about not shaving, I haven't heard that! I've been managing to shave somehow and planned to keep doing it, not because I'm worried about how it looks, but because after-care will be so much easier. I remember how much bleeding there is and the gross blood clots you pass for a few days after delivery and thought it would just be cleaner to be as bare as possible. I'd be interested to hear the answer if someone asks their doctor about this. Please share!
  • Interesting re the poster in the doctor's office about not shaving, I haven't heard that! I've been managing to shave somehow and planned to keep doing it, not because I'm worried about how it looks, but because after-care will be so much easier. I remember how much bleeding there is and the gross blood clots you pass for a few days after delivery and thought it would just be cleaner to be as bare as possible. I'd be interested to hear the answer if someone asks their doctor about this. Please share!

I never heard about this either (re: shaving poster). Is that really true? I'm pretty sure I shaved with my first and somehow I'm still keeping up with it with this pregnancy. Very interesting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I shaved last night it was an adventure. Different positions not to mention I have not seen her in awhile and when the mirror came out it was scary to see how swollen she was :((
  • It took me an hour, but I (mostly) succefully shaved down there yesterday. It was definitely a combination of joga, ninja poses, and hoping not to injure myself though. BUT I DID IT.  :)>-
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just don't bother, honestly. It's too much effort for something that just grows back every single time. Also, I read this article recently and I found it fascinating. To each their own!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/aug/07/pubic-hair-has-job-stop-shaving
  • I shave like once a month. So it doesn't get crazy. It just maintains it. I can't see it at all. So I do the best I can and as slow as I can. Haven't had any problems . Miss a few spots but I get the majority lol oh and I shave the little hairs on my belly .. Oops lol probably should just be waxing that.
  • I shave around my areola when I'm pregnant, or it looks like I'm nursing spiders.