January 2016 Moms

Food poisoning?

I'm pretty sure I have food poisoning. Has any other mammies to be had this while pregnant? Should I be worried? Thanks x

Re: Food poisoning?

• It depends.  Salmonella doesn't cross the placenta.  E.coli and Listeria can.  Either way, go to the doctor.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Thank you, was def thinking of going to the doctor with the fear of it being listeria.
  • Loading the player...
  • Even if it IS listeria, the baby is usually ok.  Approximately 22% of listeria cases while pregnant end up in fetal death, meaning that IF it's listeria (big if), you still have a 78% chance that everything will be ok.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I would get checked out just to be safe and make sure you don't get too dehydrated
  • Go to the doctor if you can. Unfortunately food poisoning can be seroius in pregnancy due to lack of fluids.
  • I just had it last Sunday. It lasted only the day, it was incredibly painful. There are some types that can be dangerous to the baby, but in most cases dehydration is the biggest threat, so stay on that water and get some pedialite. If you are concerned, always always call your doctors office and talk with them.
    So sorry you are dealing with it, I hated every minute of it!!!

• I had it around 6 weeks and it took me a few days to recover and then MS started and I was back to not keeping anythjng inside me for a week.

If you stop peeing or it doesn't improve in 24 hours, call your doctor. Mine was concerned bc of my chronic kidney stones and just had a nurse call me every day for a week. I had a rough pregnancy last time and this time is the same. Maybe they can give you something for nausea after you get over the initial illness. It took me a while to get rid of the nasty food poisoning nausea (it was much different than MS). Feel better!