August 2015 Moms

Mental health break

So im not going to get pulled out of work because at this point Baby and I are healthy and to far along for preterm labor. I have three weeks until my EDD. Part of Me feels like I need a mental health break. I am snapping at people, getting wicked sarcastic and not watching my filter as much as I should. and crying all The time. I haven't had more than 2 days off in a row in three months.I feel like I need a break in order to save my sanity and get through the next few weeks.

With that, I would need to call out for three shifts to give me five days off. At this point we are over staffed and floating nurses almost every shift. I still feel guilty but a big part of me feels like I need to do this for myself. Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Mental health break

• I can't imagine having to work this late in the game. Props to all you ladies still doing it. If you have the time saved up and don't risk any kind of repercussion, like being written up or something, I would do it. Is finding someone to cover your shift in advance an option? Or put yourself on a downsize list of they have one?
  • Do literally whatever you can and need to do for yourself. I'm impressed you've made it so far with the job you have. When you're such a responsible person, it's hard sometimes to give yourself the breaks that other people easily take for themselves. Let yourself take whatever "out" you can and not look back. It's just not worth it to wear yourself out anymore especially before such a big life event. Take all the sanity time you can. I hope you do!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with @deviduke412 if you have time saved up and won't face any reprimand, I'd do it. Are you able to get someone to cover your shifts instead of calling out or is that the same thing? You've really worked your butt off lady and I admire your strength and perseverance.
  • We can only do so much before we break sometimes. "Me" time is very productive and I encourage you to take some needed space. Don't feel guilty about it at all! My grandmother reminded me today that "taking time to take care of ourselves, helps take care of others and things around us." We all need to re-boot every now and again. There is nothing wrong with that. I give you permission to spoil yourself Momma!
  • I would probably just call out one shift that I knew was overstaffed. The guilt is strong in the nursing field for calling out even when you are really sick. Hugs. You are so close
    To the finish line!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Yes, you should definitely take some personal days or sick days. Do not feel guilty. You, your body and baby need it...at least it sounds like it. Enjoy a few days of relaxing with your feet up and let the stress from work just melt away for a bit.
  • Im in complete agreement with everyone, do what you need to do. If you need to and can without any reprimand and know they are overstaffed for the shift then do it. I am feeling overwhlemed and have been struggling this week at work, I spoke with my boss today and she had me take off Monday to relax for a 3 day weekend and I immediately felt relief from just the thought of having that day off. I called DH nearly in tears and told him I just felt so much better at how bad this week has been mentally messing with me.
  • Our mental health is just as important as our physical health, and the stress of feeling like that could have a huge impact on you and your baby. I have a desk job and have been feeling like this, I can't imagine being a nurse and still working. I also think you should call in and take the time off if you can. Even one extra day could make a huge difference for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • gulimzgulimz member
    Saratiff said:

So im not going to get pulled out of work because at this point Baby and I are healthy and to far along for preterm labor. I have three weeks until my EDD. Part of Me feels like I need a mental health break. I am snapping at people, getting wicked sarcastic and not watching my filter as much as I should. and crying all The time. I haven't had more than 2 days off in a row in three months.I feel like I need a break in order to save my sanity and get through the next few weeks.

With that, I would need to call out for three shifts to give me five days off. At this point we are over staffed and floating nurses almost every shift. I still feel guilty but a big part of me feels like I need to do this for myself. Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

Do it. How come you can't be on disability yet? I get 6 weeks 6 weeks after (or 8 if csection ) that's terrible. Being a nurse is hard as hell to begin with. .. only having a few weeks to go makes it even harder. I would call out and honestly wouldn't feel bad. It's summer census is usually always low in summer. You need time off. Do it for you and bèbè
  • gulimzgulimz member
    We nurses always forget to take care of ourselves because we're so busy caring for others. I hope you feel better ♡
  • Are you able to discuss your concerns with your boss or supervisor? The healthcare industry can def have stressful environments and they should be understanding of needing a mental health break.
  • I completely understand needing a mental health break. Everyone keeps asking me how late I plan on working till and my answer is "right up until I go into labor", not because I'm a superhero, but because I can only leave early if it's medically necessary and get a note from my doctor stating that I need to stop working. So I totally get where you're coming from. I say that you should call out. No one is going to side eye, argue, or be surprised about a pregnant woman so close to birth calling out. Whenever I've worked with pregnant colleagues I've always just assumed that they MAY not come in the next day because anything can happen. As long as you've covered your bases by verifying that you can't get in trouble for calling out, i say do it up.
    Good luck!
  • Saratiff said:

@Kwest1007 my manager is on vacation thank god. We all keep hoping she gets eaten by a shark. She is not the most supportive to say the least.

Lol I'm sorry to hear that :-( I've had those types in the past too! I would say to call out then! You gotta take care of you and if they get pissy, oh well. You'll be out for a while anyway with baby so hopefully by the time you return, they will be over it and it won't be held against you (not sure how hostile your work is but I know what it's like working for someone who holds call outs against you).
  • Are you friendly with the person who makes the decisions on who to send home if you are overstaffed? If so, can you just say to them, "Hey, I'm beyond exhausted at this point, so if you are going to send someone home, can you offer for me to leave first?" I would think any human being should be able to understand and appreciate that coming from someone who is due so soon.
  • Oh I hear ya! I've noticed the hormone/stress level rising in myself the last 2 weeks. Thankfully my EDD is in 8-9 days and right now my last day of work is 8/5 unless she comes early or late. However my boss actually was the one who told me to go 1/2 days this past monday and "work from home" the rest of the day. I started doing that on Monday, but part of me feels guilty--the other is Soooo grateful! But seriously, if you can call out or take time, definitely do it. Stress of any kind isn't good for the momma-to-bes or babies. I hope you get a break soon!!!
  • Good for you @Saratiff....lets enjoy our 3 days off!!! :) i know yours wont start til Monday, but I hope you feel the same as me to just have a relief knowing youre going to get the time off!
  • As an RN, I can't imagine working a 12 right now. Kudos to you! I'd definitely take a break!