November 2015 Moms

Diaper Preferences/Recommendations

This might seem silly, but my OCD is kicking in. A group of friends want to throw us a diaper party, and I'm wondering if any of you STMs+ have a diaper brand that you prefer? I know sometimes it's dependent upon LO's sensitivities, but it would be nice to do as little returning as possible. Thanks mommas! :)

Re: Diaper Preferences/Recommendations

• Luvs worked the best with DD, so that's probably where we will lean with DS. 
  • kwaldykwaldy member
    FTM, so I don't know how much help I'll be...
    However, what I've gathered from other discussions on this board (and there have been a few), as well as advice I've been given during my pregnancy, is that there is pretty much NO way to determine what brand will be best for your child. It depends on the shape of your baby's butt/waist/legs, how they pee, if they explosively poop a lot - among a myriad of other things. Sure, returning diapers is a massive PITA, but there's no for sure way to determine the brand that will work best for your LO.

Of course, I'm going to cross my fingers that this baby is good to go with Luvs. They're like 10 cents cheaper per diaper... lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • FTM but from 3 people i have heard nothing but wonderful things about Luvs, and they all said huggies and pampers did not work. So for my starter samples of diapers I'm just going to be getting a few packs of luvs.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used Pampers swaddlers when DD was tiny and then switched to the Target brand. They are great and cheap! I have heard that Pampers tend to work better for girls while Huggies work better for boys. Have no idea if that is actually true or not though.
  • Target has a sale running through tomorrow at midnight for when you buy two of the biggest packs of the Up & Up diapers you get a $25 gift card back - making the diapers roughly 11 cents each rather than the average .14-.17 cents.  My aunt used target brand for both of her babies and also will for the one she has due end of November and highly recommends it!

Also, was reading this article today about the amount needed in different sizes for use with stockpiling diapers...may be useful for minimizing returns... https://www.parents.com/blogs/thrifty-frugal-mom/2014/01/29/must-read/how-to-save-money-build-a-diaper-stockpile-includes-approximate-diaper-usage-for-1st-year/
  • coffeymg said:
    Target has a sale running through tomorrow at midnight for when you buy two of the biggest packs of the Up & Up diapers you get a $25 gift card back - making the diapers roughly 11 cents each rather than the average .14-.17 cents.  My aunt used target brand for both of her babies and also will for the one she has due end of November and highly recommends it!

Also, was reading this article today about the amount needed in different sizes for use with stockpiling diapers...may be useful for minimizing returns... https://www.parents.com/blogs/thrifty-frugal-mom/2014/01/29/must-read/how-to-save-money-build-a-diaper-stockpile-includes-approximate-diaper-usage-for-1st-year/
    That is a pretty amazing deal, you're pretty much getting a free pack of huge diapers! I'd be all over it if Up & Up didn't break DD out. :/ 
  • Everyone will tell you something different, I was gifted several different brands before my daughter came. Everything from Huggies to Luv's to brands I had never heard of....

For the first few months after she was born I would only use pampers swaddlers because they were soft, "cottony", and breathable. I felt they were the best choice for her skin. The other brands felt so harsh and full of  plastic. When her skin started getting more resilient and she was more active we would use Huggies because they seemed better equipped to deal with crawling, scooting and rolling babies.

I tried using store brands or Luv's a few times and they just didn't work for us, although they were cheaper I felt as though you get what you pay for....that's just how it worked for us. Babies R us used to give a bag to FTM's with free diaper samples (not sure if they still do) just feel them and compare. 

• We started with pampers swaddlers then moved to the Target brand with DD. We tried Luvs in between but I liked the Target ones better and they were cheaper. Plus they are often running a deal to get gift cards when you purchase 2 boxes and I always get 5%off with my red card
  • We use pampers for my DD and I plan on using them on this LO as well.
  • We used Pampers swaddlers sensitive for DS and will use them for this LO as well. Tried Huggies once but they leaked.
  • My babies both had sensitive skin, and The Honest Co diapers are awesome! My son never had a rash. Plus it's nice getting them delivered every 6 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ZoeH3ZoeH3 member
    Pampers are a bit more pricey but worth every penny. Just make sure to buy the large boxes and not the little packs.
  • We plan on doing a diaper raffle so we can get a bunch of different brands to try. But I have been told by some friends they use a cheaper brand during the day and pampers at night.
  • I have a boy and a girl and Pampers worked the best for us. The other ones just didn't fit right. We did try the target brand for awhile and we didn't have any leaking issues, I just felt pampers were much softer. For my kids, Huggies were a leaky, saggy, mess, but I know people that also feel that way about Pampers.
  • As others have stated I loved Pampers Swaddlers for a newborn. Then end up switching brands. After the newborn stage all 3 of my babies had different brands that worked for them.
  • I am a Pampers is worth every penny mom too. I used Pampers Sensitive for most of the first year with little to no issues. I think a good tip to avoiding leaks is to move up a size right when they reach the minimum weight for the next size up. I am still using the Pampers brand (baby dry) w. my 2 yr old.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • All boys here and we use pampers swaddlers then pampers baby dry once they get bigger. Both my boys broke out with any other brand.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I bought some from the honest co, earth's best and babyganics.
  • I have been buying honest company diapers.. Most of my friends who have kids use luvs or pampers.. I don't know many people that use huggies.. But I have only heard good things about pampers and luvs.. As a FTM I try to go on what I hear from my friends who have kids.. On my registry I have a bunch of different brands just because I'm not sure what will work for my little one so I have been trying to be opened minded about it since my baby will be different from other babies..
  • Any advice/feedback on costco diapers? Esp vs Amazon Mom deals etc?
  • I LOVE huggies pure and natural! My son has super sensitive skin and the diapers contain aloe. If we run out we use honest, but they don't hold a whole lot of pee, not good for over nights. I smell the diapers if I have to get a weird brand. If the package smells like chemical I don't want it.
  • Ftm here, but my best friend uses pampers swaddlers for her 20 month old and only has great things to say about them.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We used huggies for both kids when they were newborns.  As soon as they were in size 2+ diapers we switched to luvs.  Worked great for both my DS and my DD and quite a bit cheaper.  We couldn't use pampers or any of the generic brands (up and up, Walmart brand, etc) because they gave my DS rashes. 

photo 2c2eea5b-cb3d-4ba5-8e22-39fd2841956b_zps4ux1rnnr.jpg

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Target brand worked best for my DD.  I've heard they tend to work better on girls. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• My son used pampers swaddles (gift) out of the hospital but then ended up in Walmart parents choice brand due to his chicken legs (huggies, luvs etc leaked), we used white cloud (also Walmart at night once he started super soaking at night), at size 3 we switched to Sams club for day and Huggies overnights at night. It's very much trial and error everything from skin, activity level, potty voracity and butt/waist/thigh size factors into the best diaper for each child.
  • PSA for those that used the Target brand "last time"-  they changed them a little over a year ago! 

I find the new ones to be pretty much as useful as cardboard-  just my opinion and experience but they get super lumpy when wet- but something to be aware of before you stock up on them just because you loved them last time. 

We used pampers. We never had any leakage problems with the other brands, I just couldn't stand the way they smelled when they were used. Again, I think each diaper brand will react different to each kids PH, etc. 

There really is no way to tell what's going to be the best for a new baby! 
  • Pampers swaddlers
  • Love me some pampers swaddlers!!
  • We tried all of them and with my son huggies snug fit worked the best. I usually get the biggest box 180-200 diapers around $23-25 bucks. We got to sams club when we can and get the biggest quantities. Love huggies one and done wipes too- thicker w soft pockets unlike the others we've tried
  • smnewby said:

Any advice/feedback on costco diapers? Esp vs Amazon Mom deals etc?

We used Costco brand for a short time and they did not work well for my son. They fit very similar to Huggies, so I would imagine if you like Huggies you would like the Costco brand. Now we use Target. They go up higher so they don't leak nearly as much.
  • When my son was born he had a tiny waist. The only thing that fit were the pampers swaddlers. Eventually we switched to huggies. And also used Kirkland (Costco brand) when he was older. We've started stocking up on huggies for this baby.
  • Pampers swaddlers/sensitive!!!! Love them.

Tried huggies/Luvs one time each in a pinch and had issues. Huggies tabs would pull right off wasting a good diaper. Also leaked. Luvs leaked like crazy which ended up in more laundry on both ends. Yuck.
  • apritch88 said:
    PSA for those that used the Target brand "last time"-  they changed them a little over a year ago! 

I find the new ones to be pretty much as useful as cardboard-  just my opinion and experience but they get super lumpy when wet- but something to be aware of before you stock up on them just because you loved them last time. 

We used pampers. We never had any leakage problems with the other brands, I just couldn't stand the way they smelled when they were used. Again, I think each diaper brand will react different to each kids PH, etc. 

There really is no way to tell what's going to be the best for a new baby! 
    Thanks for the heads up on the Target brand.  My DD is 9 now so it's been a while and products change over time.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• My friend also recommended pampers swaddlers/ sensitive. Sounds like that's one I'll have to try. Has anyone used Earths Best?
  • We use mostly cloth diapers but for the times we need sposies I prefer Seventh Generation diapers. They have been fantastic diapers and they are a little more earth friendly than others. The fact that they "guess" diapers will take about 500 years to decompose is insane to me!
  • Be careful with diapers that are cheaper - not always worth it. I found that my kiddos would get rashes from cheaper diapers and spent the money on huggies and pampers - both kids were different. Going to start this one off with Pampers as I loved the swaddlers, and see what fits better as he grows.
  • I am a FTM but I've been nannying (is the even a word oh sleep deprived brain) for a while and I like Huggies. When I change them things tend to go smoothly, if you know what I mean. I hate non-brand name diapers for the most part, it's like cleaning up poo in a paper towel. 
    Do unto others. 
  • DD1 started off only able to use parents choice. Then once she hit a certain age even those caused her to break out in a rash. Now she uses $ store brand and pampers.

Huggies cause her to get really really bad chemical burns along with her rash so we will not even attempt those with the new baby.
  • I'll be a FTM as well, but I'm thinking I'll start off with huggies. And then switch brands if need be
    BabyName Ticker
  • My daughter was very allergic to huggies, it basically burnt her skin off her bum. Pampers were better. We mostly cloth because of her sensitive skin. While pampers diapers were better we hated pampers wipes and love the Costco Kirkland wipes.
    She was also fine in huggies until about 2 months old which was odd.