January 2016 Moms

Crib bumpers

I know they look cute but I am scared to use them! Too many horror stories about smothering the baby. I heard the mesh ones are better. What are your thoughts?

Re: Crib bumpers

• l4rkl4rk member
    Not using one. If only because they are an extra expense that isn't actually necessary. Add a few horror stories as the sprinkling on top and they just don't make any sense to me.
  • sck601sck601 member
    I used the mesh bumpers when DD started to roll.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • CaraBoonieCaraBoonie member
    edited July 2015
    I had the most beautiful one on my registry...and then just read an article today about how they can smother and it's just not worth it (a bump on baby's head is nbd compared to suffocation!) so I took it off the registry while whimpering to myself about the loss of its gorgeousness, oh well.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The state of MD banned the sale of bumpers. The mesh ones and the ones that wrap around the slats aren't banned. We aren't bothering with any sort of bumper.

***BFP and Loss Mentioned in Siggy***

Me: 39 (PCOS)
    DH: 47 (slightly low volume...considered MFI)
    TTC since 11/2012
    10/2013:  IUI#1 BFN - 50mg clomid, two .75mg shots of Bravelle, ovidril trigger...1 follicle
    11/14/13: IUI#2 BFN - 50mg clomid, two .75 mg shots of Bravelle, ovidrill trigger..2 follicles

IVF #1 w/ICSI:  ER 3/12/14; ET 3/17/14:  BFP!!!  Beta #1 3/31/14=1540;  Beta #2 4/2/14 =2551

Twin A became an angel on 4/30/14 (8w6d)

Twin B became an angel on 5/21/14 (11w6d)

D&C 5/23/14

FET#1 - 9/2/14 - BFP!!! Beta #1 (9/15): 926.  Beta #2 (9/17): 1946.

MC -9/20/14
    FET#2 - 4/20/15 - BFP!!! Beta #1 (5/4): 1277.  Beta #2 (5/6): 2817.  US#5 -153 heartbeat.
    Due Date: January 6, 2016
  • Not using any of that stuff. All I hear is that you should just have a fitted sheet in there and nothing else. So we'll be registering for just fitted sheets and sleep sacks.
  • Yeah I read a really informative article from the AAP about safe sleep and that's one of the recommendations. Nothing in the crib but a fitted sheet. That's what we'll be doing! They make the crib look adorable but I agree that it's not worth the risk.
  • I didn't put any bumpers up until babies started to roll and move a lot and got legs stuck. Then we put up the mesh ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our crib slates were close enough together that legs/arms never got stuck. I like the way cribs look better without the bumpers anyway.
  • EC2016EC2016 member
    I figured I'd get them but not use them until the baby is bigger and can roll around. The risk of suffocation is a lot lower at that point.
  • Negative. I don't even want them in my house. I don't think they are cut. I think they are unnecessary and dangerous.
    Married the love of my life: 11/12/2009
    1st BFP ever : 11/19/2014
    1/9/2015 our miracle baby was welcomed in heaven.
    BFP #2 : 4/21/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just put mesh ones on because DD was getting her toes/fingers stuck and making a huge fuss about it all throughout the night. But she's nearly 2, at which point docs say the risk of suffocation is nearly nil. Definitely don't use them with your itty bitty baby. I agree with pp. Cute but not worth the risk!
  • I used a regular bumper with DS. He is fine. I am going to get a mesh one vs. no bumper for DD because if she is a paci kid like DS it will stop the paci from rolling out of the crib.
  • Didn't use them for DD, not planning to use them for this LO either. Not necessary.

DD's hands and feet sometimes get through the slats while she's sleeping, but she is really quick to let us know if she is stuck. And we don't let her play in her bedroom or crib ever so I have no worries about her somehow injuring herself playing around it.
  • I bought a nursery set that includes them (along with 14 other items all of which will be needed) but I purchased mesh ones separately because of the safety. I'll have the bumpers just for aesthetics since I have them anyway, in until he starts sleeping in the crib, then it'll be mesh only.
  • Not getting them. Cuteness < Safety
  • Didn't use them with DS and won't with this baby. Not worth the risk for me. I am a teacher working in homes with kids 0-3 and have lost babies to bumpers due to suffocation at various ages. It is something we talk to all families about but all don't listen. One of the moms is an advocate for safe sleep now due to her experience.
  • Didn't use them the DS or DD and we won't be using them this time. Never saw it as nessassary.
  • I don't know if they are banned in Canada / Ontario, but I do know from a friends experience that Children's aid says you should not have them in your crib.
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • nickicb7 said:

I don't know if they are banned in Canada / Ontario, but I do know from a friends experience that Children's aid says you should not have them in your crib.

I don't think there banned here but I know it's also recommended here that there only be a fitted sheet in the crib
  • We never used one at all. My DS is 21 months and still sleeps in the crib. Not going to use one for DD on the way either.
  • mollyj931 said:

I didn't put any bumpers up until babies started to roll and move a lot and got legs stuck. Then we put up the mesh ones.

This exactly.
  • I used mesh summers with DS because he kept getting his legs stuck in between the slats. He was/is SUPER wiggley.
  • I mourned the loss of the beloved RH petal pink bumpers I had on my dream nursery Pinterest board. But figure this is nothing compared to the potential alternatives. But seriously, you'll be so paranoid about that baby breathing at night as it is. Do you really need to add something that has been linked to infant deaths?
  • I had nothing when DD was an infant. When she started rolling I got mesh bumpers because she was forever getting stuck in the slats and loosing the pacifier. She also likes to have her head touching the top of the crib but would cry when she hit the hard slats. So the mesh ones solved a few issues but didn't make me paranoid
  • We never used one and never had an issue with stuck limbs.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• We used them, but my daughter wasn't in her crib until around six lonths old.
  • Thank you for this post. I will definitely be getting mesh bumpers only !
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's safest to have a firm mattress with a fitted sheet, and that is all. That's what we did with dd and will do with baby 2. We also use a sleep sack in place of blankets.
  • designer303designer303 member
    edited July 2015
    We got a very cute bumper as a present. I put it in the crib, for looks since we had it and kept it in until our son actually starting sleeping in the crib so from my shower til he was about three months old. When he was six months old and moving all over the place I put a mesh bumper in and that stopped limbs getting stuck and him banging his head.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• I wish they would stop SELLING them if they're such hazards! It really is a tease (for those of us who think they're pretty but prefer our babies safe and alive), and a hazard, since it isn't made clear in the stores that they're unsafe!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • for those of us who think they're pretty but prefer our babies safe and alive.

I don't think there's anybody here who wouldn't prefer their babies to be safe and alive
  • @aphilli8 Of course not, didn't mean it that way! A few PP said they didn't even like the way they looked, so it was only for those of us who DO like the way they looked...but obviously don't think it's worth it, which I would hope is everybody!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    edited July 2015
    It still makes my heart pitter patter. But instead of taking the risk I got the crib skirt and cute sheets and a similar pillow (that I removed before sleep- mostly it stayed on my rocker). I'm having a boy this time so won't be as hypnotized by the soft pink petals :x
  • @apinkpelican So pretty! I'll give your gorgeous death trap a moment of silence, as it deserves :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Leah6120Leah6120 member
    edited July 2015
    I saw a photo where it was actually tied to the top of the crib instead of the bottom.. I thought it was still cute. So if your heart is set on one there's other ways to position it that won't risk the baby.
  • fragglemomfragglemom member
    edited July 2015

I wish they would stop SELLING them if they're such hazards! It really is a tease (for those of us who think they're pretty but prefer our babies safe and alive), and a hazard, since it isn't made clear in the stores that they're unsafe!

Buy Buy Baby actually has signs in their display cribs warning people not to use bedding.
    Eta, but they still sell it. Go figure.
  • If there is even the slightest chance of something bad happening, why use them? That's my way of thinking. When my lil guy started rolling around we got the mesh bumpers. They're not as cute but a lot safer.
  • I got teething protectors instead of a bumper to add a little more decoration to the crib and so DD wouldn't chew the wood rails later on. For those moms that like that sort of thing.
  • They are a hazard for SIDS when baby is little. I bought a mesh one for my almost 2-year-old and never even used it.
  • We were very anti-bumpers with DS but soon changed our minds when he kept waking up screaming with his limbs stuck between the slats at all hours. We only used it from 7 months to 15 months, when he started trying to stand on it, but we were happy to have it.

We thought about going with mesh but ended up going with a thinner version of the traditional bumper and wove it tightly through the slats. We will do the same with this LO.