January 2016 Moms

Question for the room sharing or bed sharing!

Okay, DH and I really want LO to sleep in our room with us for a little while in the beginning. DH has to get up at 4am to get ready for work. He is a heavy sleeper so his alarms usually need to be loud and I'm worried that they will wake up the baby every morning. And I really don't want to wake the baby up every morning at 4 if we can avoid it.... I've heard of alarm clock "watches" that vibrate to wake you up?

To the mamas who will be room sharing or bed sharing, have you and your SO talked about this? What are your ideas?

Re: Question for the room sharing or bed sharing!

• I say try out having baby in your room with the alarms and see how it goes. Both my kiddos were never bothered by sounds in our room while they were sleeping, our dogs could bark, alarms could go off, they slept right through it! It may not even be an issue.
  • I have a nephew that I swear could sleep through the apocalypse! I've also heard that noises baby hears in the womb won't scare them after birth. Maybe LO will get used to DH's alarms? :) Lol. Just curious what everyone else does, thanks for the feedback!
  • Loading the player...
  • ^^^ I agree. We're in nearly the same boat with the early alarms and we're just going to see how it goes with LO in our room to start. If we need to move them into DD's bedroom we will but for convenience's sake I'd rather keep LO in our room for MOTN feeding.
  • I hadn't even thought of this. That will be an issue for us, too. My hubby's alarm is loud and he hits snooze 456,885,321 times a morning. I guess we'll just have to try it out like everyone is suggesting.
  • We're in the same situation but hubby gets up at 2am for work. I am going to try it with baby in our room & see how it goes. Hubby will be off work & home with us the first couple weeks anyway.
  • There are iPhone apps that make the phone vibrate to wake you. I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure you could find on google!
  • I've done vibrating alarms on my FitBit in the past and prefer it to waking up to a loud noise, much less startling. That said, try it and see if baby sleeps through it before making a decision...at the beginning it's likely baby will be awake then anyway for feedings so it will just become a scheduled feeding time maybe. But there are plenty of vibrating alarms if the noise becomes an issue :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mstefanovic Mine does the same thing! I think he sets ten alarms just to try to get out of bed in the morning lol
    @ndeguara DH will be staying home for the first few weeks with us too. Plus he works at a coal mine and has a 28 day rotating schedule so he only works half of the month and switches from nights to days.
  • @hailees @CaraBoonie We will have to start trying the vibrating alarms to see if it works. I'm not sure the vibrating will be enough to wake him, sometimes he can sleep through thee or four cycles of his alarm going off!
  • Maybe the physical will end up working better than the noise!

I don't know if I could share a room with somebody whose alarm went off that much, it disrupts my sleep enough that DH's goes off once!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a heavy sleeper and so is DH. DH's Alarm goes off at 5am. DD literally never moved or anything. They get used to it.
  • @Snoopylovesbelle I wish I was as heavy of a sleeper as DH! I always have to kick him out of bed when he's gonna be late. Because I wake up to his first alarm and he can't even wake up to the sixth one!
  • Oh he's way worse that me. I wake up to his alarm especially after DD was born. He will sleep with his loud as crap blaring alarm clock for hours if I let him. I usually get mad and throw him out by the third one.
  • But DD never noticed. It started being an issue at 6-7 months when loud noises woke her up. She was in her own room at 3 months but we shared a wall so DH had to get up at the first alarm. Also setting a phone to go off first and then having the loud alarm as back up worked too.
  • I actually was just reading a thing this morning about FTM Dos and Donts and one of the donts was to not tiptoe around your sleeping baby, but to live life as normal so that they get used to sleeping through life noises.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Snoopylovesbelle I get really mad and have to kick him out of bed too. I'm sure LO will get used to it, and maybe if his alarm wakes the baby up the crying will help him get out of bed faster! Lol. He always sets his phone and I end up having to crawl over him to shut his phone off.
  • @CaraBoonie that's really good advice. Do you happen to know where you read that at?!
  • I literally have to take the pillow from under his head and pull the covers off of him. We used to set the alarm across the room and when he would get up I would steal his pillow and starfish across the bed :D
  • edited July 2015

I actually was just reading a thing this morning about FTM Dos and Donts and one of the donts was to not tiptoe around your sleeping baby, but to live life as normal so that they get used to sleeping through life noises.

I have heard that before too. Also, don't use blackout curtains or artificially darken nap/sleeping areas - throws off their circadian rhythm.
    Eta words
  • @daniellelynette I don't, sorry! It was through a link on Pinterest and I didn't pin it so I'm not sure :-/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Snoopylovesbelle I used to do that too! I would charge his phone in the bathroom and hook it up to the Bluetooth radio we have, put the radio in the bathroom next to the phone and turn it all the way up so he would have to go into our bathroom to shut of his alarm, and I would wrap myself up in the comforter like a burrito lol
  • Did we marry the same man lol? He's got 3 brothers
  • I actually was just reading a thing this morning about FTM Dos and Donts and one of the donts was to not tiptoe around your sleeping baby, but to live life as normal so that they get used to sleeping through life noises.

I have heard that before too. Also, don't use blackout curtains or artificially darken nap/sleeping areas - throws off their circadian rhythm.
    Eta words
    Wow, I didn't know any of this! There should be a thread about stuff like this. Little nuggets of useful information for clueless FTMs like myself lol. And @CaraBoonie I will go in Pinterest and search! I love Pinterest.
  • Oh I use black out shades! But not until DD was in her own room
  • Did we marry the same man lol? He's got 3 brothers

Hahaha mine has 3 sisters!!
  • Lol nice!
    We tried the buzz watch it didn't help. I did buy him the alarm clock that runs away as a joke- he would direct it out of the room into his roommates room and go back to sleep lol
  • *groan* I didn't even think about this. My husband is Mr. Hit Snooze 5000x too. Well, either he's gonna have to stop or baby and I are sleeping elsewhere.
  • @Snoopylovesbelle that's so something mine would do too haha! He likes to turn off his alarms and go back to sleep. I was really hoping the watch would work :\ I'm guessing it won't because our DHs are so similar. Just like @TinyDancer51510 said... He's gonna have to learn to wake up faster! I've considered sleeping elsewhere too... I'm lucky though, he only works 7 day shifts each month. He does three days on, one day off, three nights on, three off, four days on, seven off. So we won't have this problem as much!
  • You can try it It just didn't work for us.
    I get stressed sleeping elsewhere because I'm afraid he won't get up so I deal with it
  • I'm fairly certain my husband tried the buzzing watch too and the clock was off. He'd have it set for 6:30 and it would go off at 6:09 or something. Not exactly reliable.
  • Ugh @Snoopylovesbelle I would get stressed too because I know he won't get up and he can't be late to work. So I feel better if I can be there to wake him up myself.
  • I think it just depends on the baby. My H only hits snooze once usually, but his 5 am alarms never bothered DS when he was in the bassinet in our room. And at that point, I was so tired that his alarms didn't bother me either lol

We always made a point to not "tiptoe" around the sleeping baby bc I have friends that have to sneak around silently once their 2 yo is in bed and it annoys me to no end. However, over the past month or so my DS (11 months) has started waking up at 530/6 am when H is up stomping around the house, making coffee and watching his morning ESPN fix. So we have had to start shutting the door to the nursery at night lately.
  • I don't want to be one of those that has to sneak around silently after baby is in bed either!