September 2015 Moms
Options

My mini rant about my delivering hospital.

So today at 34 weeks, I took a tour of the L&D where I am going to be delivering at. Granted, I have Tricare, so I am assigned to this hospital. I am just frustrated because they told me that I cannot walk the halls during labor, as soon as I get there, I am confined to my bed, everyone has to have continuous fetal monitoring (needed or no), and that I can only have 2 people in my room. I have to have an IV, not just a hep lock, and even though I've been seeing a high risk OB off base, (and they're saying the baby is a little small and don't know if they are going to want to induce sooner or how that's going to work) this hospital has no NICU facilities at all and just in the off chance one was needed, the baby would go, but I would have to stay. So I can't be in the shower or be on a birthing ball or any of those things, which I really wanted to do this time, as last time I was confined to bed for 3 days due to an epidural that was given waaaay to early. They told me that I can't get referred to another hospital unless I'm having problems that would require me to deliver there, and the only other choice is to switch insurance, therefore forcing me to find new OB services, and who knows what that would be like this late in the game. I'm just irritated that as a patient and mom, my delivery experience hasn't even begun yet and I feel like all my choices are being taken away. I know I won't get everything I want, but to just be told that I can't is frustrating to me when there is no medically necessary reason I shouldn't be able to. I'm going to be making a list and going back to my Dr for sure. Sorry this got so long, just needed some shoulders to vent on! :)

Re: My mini rant about my delivering hospital.

• Options
    Are you prime?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Due to many issues like this I chose a homebirth. But you say you're high risk so not sure that's an option for you. I don't believe your situation is fair at all. Is there any way to try to get a different hospital assignment? I'm not sure what Tricare is (military?). Regardless you should have options. This makes me angry for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sounds ridiculous! Well except the two people part... is that during labor/ delivery or visitors after the fact too?
  • Options
    Do you have tricare prime? I'm going through the same exact bull right now since I'm forced to go to an on base hospital. I want to change to tricare standard so I have better choices on how I give birth but I'm also insanely worried how it'll affect all my other doctors (I'm high risk so I have a MFM, neurologist and endocrinologist that might all change :/)
  • Options
    momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited July 2015
    The two big hospitals I delivered at had the same rules. The smaller hospital I'm delivering at doesn't have these rules but I intend to labor at home until I'm ready to push. Unless he's early. Having to be confined to a bed prolonged my labors and I do not want to do that again.
  • Options
    Btw I'm sorry.
  • Options
    They cannot make you do anything you don't want to. I would just decline the IV, continuous monitoring etc. sorry this sucks.
  • Options
    You have the right to refuse any treatment you don't wish to have. And of things are going good just stand up out of the bed. Take your own birthing ball. They cannot pick you up and put you back in the bed. It never hurts to buck the system a little bit.
  • Options
    What hospital are you delivering at? I had my daughter at a military hospital and had a wonderful experience. I walked the halls for hours, used a birthing ball, was not continually monitored, was allowed to have as many people in the room as I wanted (I only had my mom and husband), was able to use the shower (I chose not to), and they have one of the best NICU's in the area. I'm sorry you're having such a horrible time already but I would talk to your Tricare representative about your options.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mean to be judgmental or harsh when I say this, but why did you wait so long to find out what your hospital offers? I haven't had my tour yet but I've fully researched my hospital before even conceiving so I knew what I was getting into. But like others said, you can refuse any of that, they can't put an IV in you without your consent. I'm sorry you're not pleased with your situation but it will only be temporary and just think of what you'll be leaving the hospital with, and then non of this will matter to you anymore
  • Options
    Sounds awful, I would not be happy. I know switching OBs at this point is not fun but I think I would be doing it just so I could give birth somewhere else. 
  • Options
    Well, I just figured this out because we just moved here cross country, so I didn't know what hospital I would be delivering at. Unfortunately I happened to be in my third trimester. I called today and they won't refer me unless medically necessary, which sucks. I know in the long run in won't matter, it just sucks that I feel like I don't have a lot of options when it comes to one of the most vulnerable moments a woman can have. I definitely intend to take up my concerns with my Dr, if you aren't an advocate for yourself, no one else will be. I just don't understand these policies that seem so ancient. So I'm just going to discuss it and hope that we can compromise on these issues. Tricare told me in order to switch I would need a referral, so apparently I'm SOL there. But I do love the care I get from my OB, so I hope we can resolve this! Thanks for listening ladies! 
  • Options
    Try not to get too disheartened- I've had 3 natural deliveries including a high risk induction and it may go better than expected. I would definitely fight the IV, my hospital requires at least a heplock which honestly isn't a huge deal (though with #2 I got there so far into labor there wasn't time for one). If you don't need fluids they may bend the rules and let you just have a heplock.

As for not getting out of bed, I labored standing bent over next to my bed of kneeling in my bed with my arms up by the back of bed with it inclined all the way. If you can labor at home as long as possible by the time you get to the hospital walking may not be what you want to do. Once I'm that far into active labor just being able to kneel on hands and knees and rock in bed was plenty (or standing bent over beside the bed rocking). You could do both those things with an IV and monitors on your belly. I also find when I'm in the throes of labor that side lying in the Bradley position is 100% most comfortable for me so I spend the majority of my labor in bed anyway.

All this to say, don't give up hope! You could still have an awesome delivery and feel like you're not as restricted as it may seem. My biggest advice is stay home as long as possible. I was 7cm when I went in with #2 and 8cm when I went in with #3 which made for a short hospital stay.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Also, knowing there is a chance the baby may need transferred for nicu care work out a plan with your support people now. Whether that's your husband goes with baby and your mom (or friend or whoever support person #2 is) stays with you or support person goes with baby and your husband stays with you. Have your plan of action in advance so you're not having to make these decisions in the height of emotion and hormones. Stay positive and hope for the best- I was pleasantly surprised with my high risk induction. I was told there was a very very high likelihood baby would not tolerate labor and I'd need an emergency c-section and they had a whole nicu team waiting for when he was born. Even at 3lbs 6oz, he did great and scored 8&9 on his apgars and stayed with me the whole time! It was quite a shock for my entire medical team and for my husband and I. Try to not put the cart before the horse and assume the worst case scenario :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    I agree with you on talking to your OB. Sometimes a policy is in place, but doesn't necessarily have to be enforced.
    Also I definitely second what @KYmama9286 said!! I had a little bit of time to discuss my wishes with DH and my mom before delivery since we knew I'd be delivering a preemie going to the NICU. Everything went a little nuts, but my mom kinda knew what I wanted when everything started happening. It's just one less thing you'll have to worry about when the time comes.
  • Options
    I know that tricare doesn't cover home births and I'm 99% they don't do birth centers either, but I had a mil friend do 2 home births anyway which turned out great. Your kid is automatically covered for 60 days after birth under the active member's insurance so if they end up in the hospital it would be covered. So if you don't mind sucking up the expenses it may be an option to look into if your talk with the Ob doesn't go well...