October 2015 Moms
Options

What are people planning on doing with their fur-babies during labour?

FTM here with a wonderful fur baby 2 year old dog. What are other people planning on doing with their dogs when they go into labour?

And I attached a gratuitous picture of my puppy because I love her so much lol.

Re: What are people planning on doing with their fur-babies during labour?

• Options
    We'll be putting her in her crate for a few hours until my MIL arrives to take care of her. She volunteered to doggie sit and since we dont have much other options, we accepted. Not too sure about how good it makes me feel though, as she tends to yell instead of just command.. My puppy knows "down", no need to flip out at her if shes on the couch and you want her off.. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When I had DD, our ILs came over to let her out to run around and take care of business. I think we'll do the same this time. I'd find a neighbor who you trust (and your dog knows and trusts) and ask them if they'd be willing to be on-call. You probably wouldn't have to contact them until daytime hours considering you wouldn't necessarily have your dog out during the night, so it shouldn't be too challenging to find someone. Fingers crossed :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    J1DJ1D member
    A couple of my relatives live very close by so one of them will come by once or twice a day to attend to the fur babies.
  • Options
    We have no family nearby, so we worked it out at a local kennel to have us call and they will go in to the office any time to take our dogs once I go into labor. We plan to keep them there for one night after we get home from the hospital just so we can get used to things a bit before adding them to the chaos
  • Options
    @hmhierholzer - this is the situation we are in too. We have no family here and can't count on friends being in town... I'll have to check with our dog sitter to see if he'd be willing to do this for us. Glad it's worked out for you :)

And @LiveNLove44 for some reason it didn't cross my mind that I wouldn't need to worry about it until the morning if I went into labour at night. Thanks for pointing that out!
  • Options
    Our dogs will go to some friends of ours. Haven't figured out the logistics of who will pick up or drop off, but that's the plan. 
  • Options
    kfry22kfry22 member
    edited July 2015
    We have horses, chickens, goats, dogs, cats, and a donkey. I'm writing up who gets what foods when in a few weeks and putting it in the barn. We have two neighbors on stand by and my mom who lives three miles away. Our inside dog has a doggie door and fenced yard so she really doesn't need anything except food.

I also plan to have hubby stop by the feed mill early October and get extra feed for everyone so we aren't running out mid October or November with a newborn. I don't think in going to want to go out with him to get livestock feed. Same goes for the dogs and cats. I am trying to have stuff prepared for them too because they are just as much a part of our family as this baby

Edited because what is spelling?
  • Options
    @kassyfry - I keep telling my husband that I want to get a donkey. Why it's a life dream for me, I don't know. I fully plan to name him Eeyore. 
  • Options
    I want a mini donkey! So cute. We will prob leave them at the house and have dog walker/sitter stop by to check on them
    Or come get them if we're in for the long haul!
  • Options
    I have a 4 lb chihuahua and I think my mother or someone will pick her up while we are in the hospital. She hates being left alone, and I don't leave her at night ever. She's such a baby literally !!
  • Options
    kfry22kfry22 member
    @SarahAnne1101 @christina4436
    Meet Thistle Geraldine Ann Fry
    2 years old and the best Christmas present ever. Her antics tonight included dropping the apples I was trying to feed her into our water trough. Just imagine a donkey bobbing for apples!!
  • Options

I have a 4 lb chihuahua and I think my mother or someone will pick her up while we are in the hospital. She hates being left alone, and I don't leave her at night ever. She's such a baby literally !!

Aww I have a 4lb Chorkie. Such a baby as well. I carry her like one for practice :-) She sleeps a lot but my 10lb Pom will cry for awhile when we leave (separation anxiety). Never gets easier!!

• Options
    kassyfry said:

@SarahAnne1101 @christina4436
    Meet Thistle Geraldine Ann Fry
    2 years old and the best Christmas present ever. Her antics tonight included dropping the apples I was trying to feed her into our water trough. Just imagine a donkey bobbing for apples!!

Omg!! Love it. Where do you leave and where do I get one?? I live in an urban suburb now in Wisconsin but my hubby wants a hobby farm some day ;-p

• Options
    Call us the Barones, but my parents just live about a block away. They dog sit for us as we do for them so they will take care of my Libby for me. Plus, she's my dad's BFF so he's glad to have her sometimes :) Plus, how could they say no to this sweet face?
  • Options
    ameares721ameares721 member
    edited July 2015
    I'm bringing my cat to my grandmothers house the week before I'm due. She always watches him when I'm on vacation so it won't be new for him. He will probably be there for a month total.
  • Options
    My mom is coming to stay in our house while I'm at the hospital. She will be an hour away so we will just call when I get checked into hospital. And then we are kicking her out before we come home as she has a dog too that makes my dog very dominant and we don't want any issues with meeting the baby the first time.
  • Options
    Our dogs will be in the outdoor kennel during the day(s) we are gone. They're used to our nephew so he will let them in at night to feed them and back out in the mornings. We also have horses on pasture that will possibly need water broke, so he will also take care of that. We plan on making sure they always have enough hay for a few days!
  • Options
    Good question. I need to figure this out! I have 4 dogs and haven't even thought of what to do with them when I go into labor. I'm sure family will help watch my babies
  • Options
    We luckily live close to the hospital and I am having a repeat csection.  We will put them in our garage kennel that opens to their run and DH will go home during the day to check on them and then obviously he will be home with the boys each night so the dogs will be no issue.  With my first he still went home each night to be with the dogs too. It was easier and he was able to bring something home each day for them to smell. 

• Options
    My family lives pretty close, and so
    Does DH's. So I'm planning on my uncle coming over and letting my girls out. And DH said that he will prob go home when family comes to visit to make sure they are ok. They get kinda high strung if hey r penned up in he house for like 8 + hours. They are Shepard / hound mixes. So even though they 3 they still are puppies lol.
  • Options
    @whitemn04 my parents live the next street over too, like 1/4 mile from us haha between them and my neighbor (who is my best friends mom) they'll take care of our 3 pups :)

They're pretty low maintenance as you can see hahah
  • Options
    Thankfully my SIL and her family live down the street, and my dog is used to our niece and nephew, so they'll let her out. Also, I'm sure one or both of my parents will stop by the house at some point and can do the same or take her for a walk. (The cat takes care of himself, lol.)

• Options
    My sister lives very close to us so the plan is for her husband to come pick up our dog when we head to the hospital. We have a golden retriever and she has a lab and they are the best of friends. 

Initially, we thought we would just have a family member stop by and take care of our dog occasionally but I feel like having him go somewhere where he will have fun is better. 
  • Options
    kfry22kfry22 member
    @christina4436 @christina4436 I live in Indiana and my hubby found her on Craigslist 2 hours south of us. My father in law also has two mini donkeys. He got one at a horse auction in Shipshewana, IN and the other at a swap meet in Wolf Lake, IN. One of his mini donkey guys bred two of his mini horses and he will have mini mules this fall. I do suggest researching mini donkeys as they are different from their horse cousins and very unique little animals to be around.
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member