February 2016 Moms

FFFC- Friday, July 31

Let's hear 'em girls!

My confession is that I'm just a straight up pig all the time. This morning I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Then, I went by Starbucks for some coffee to get me through my 10 hour day of babysitting and also got me a breakfast sandwich. I ate the whole thing before I even got to the kids' house.

Re: FFFC- Friday, July 31

• Loading the player...
  • Twindling said:
    Toddlers are creatures from a different planet ladies. I kid you not! @ashcody2 I have no idea how you've survived so long without an overnight date. We went to Jamaica for 5 days when my twins were almost 2 and it was the best 5 days ever....I almost didn't want to come home :)
    Yes, it's hard when all of your family who lives in town (we aren't from here originally, but some of my family has moved here) can't watch our child during the day due to either working FT or health issues, that's the main one - my family who would keep him overnight can't physically watch him. My parents live almost 3 hrs. away and my mom straight up told me she'd keep him when he's out of diapers, lol I figured diapers would be easier than dealing with a potty-training toddler but I guess not. 

We have my best friend's wedding reception in a few weeks so my husband's mom is coming to watch our son but we won't be staying overnight seeing as I can't drink and I don't think it's going to be much fun since my husband will probably be drinking quite a bit...I'd love to go on a baby moon somewhere but we really want to save up as much as possible before the baby comes since I have unpaid leave + our daycare expense is going to be quite a big difference compared to now. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I about to head to my OB appointment. All I can think about is all the unhealthy, bad for me drive thrus that are right around that area. Trying to decide which one I want for lunch when I'm leaving. ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:
  • kris10mac said:
    I about to head to my OB appointment. All I can think about is all the unhealthy, bad for me drive thrus that are right around that area. Trying to decide which one I want for lunch when I'm leaving. ;)

Do they have Wendy's? Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich-- mmm 
    I wish I lived in a suburb so I had a drive-thru :( 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kris10mac said:
    I about to head to my OB appointment. All I can think about is all the unhealthy, bad for me drive thrus that are right around that area. Trying to decide which one I want for lunch when I'm leaving. ;)

Do they have Wendy's? Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich-- mmm 
    I wish I lived in a suburb so I had a drive-thru :( 
    Aw man I could tear up a spicy chicken sandwich right now!

• I had donuts and chocolate milk for breakfast this morning. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I sometimes wonder if I am raising a total brat. My son is about to turn 2.5 and I just feel like every day is an uphill battle that I can't win. I look at other kids playing happily at the park and then there is my son running around like a crazy person who can't keep his hands to himself. I can feel all those mommy eyes judging me and I can't help but feel like I am totally failing at this parenting thing. It really makes me question my ability to have a second. 

Side Note Confession: It only took me three days to finish off an entire carton of Ben and Jerry's by myself. Yikes! 
     BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I sometimes wonder if I am raising a total brat. My son is about to turn 2.5 and I just feel like every day is an uphill battle that I can't win. I look at other kids playing happily at the park and then there is my son running around like a crazy person who can't keep his hands to himself. I can feel all those mommy eyes judging me and I can't help but feel like I am totally failing at this parenting thing. It really makes me question my ability to have a second. 

Side Note Confession: It only took me three days to finish off an entire carton of Ben and Jerry's by myself. Yikes! 
    I am a FTM so no comment on the toddler thing but I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sure you're doing just fine :)
    But, I will comment on the Ben& Jerry's because I'm a long term ice cream eater... there are 4 servings in there! So 3 days to finish is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. It's not like you ate it all in one sitting which I can imagine some people do! 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Achae said:

We're not raising our children to be religious. My mom keeps asking when we are getting our daughter baptised. She doesn't understand never. If she wants to do it when she's older, she can decide that!

You are not alone :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• RN0107RN0107 member

I sometimes wonder if I am raising a total brat. My son is about to turn 2.5 and I just feel like every day is an uphill battle that I can't win. I look at other kids playing happily at the park and then there is my son running around like a crazy person who can't keep his hands to himself. I can feel all those mommy eyes judging me and I can't help but feel like I am totally failing at this parenting thing. It really makes me question my ability to have a second. 

I feel like that about my kids too. They have so much energy and honestly act like animals sometimes. I have anxiety about going out in public with them. I think it might be normal toddler behavior?
    You are not alone and you are not failing.

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• We're not raising our children to be religious. My mom keeps asking when we are getting our daughter baptised. She doesn't understand never. If she wants to do it when she's older, she can decide that!
    You are not alone :)
    No, you're not. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Achae said:
    We're not raising our children to be religious. My mom keeps asking when we are getting our daughter baptised. She doesn't understand never. If she wants to do it when she's older, she can decide that!
    MIL was hounding us forever about this. She doesn't even go to church, like not even on holidays, so I don't know why she cares so much. The thing is our kids aren't being raised Catholic like her so we wouldn't baptize them anyway. We did a baby dedication but baptism is a choice they make on their own when they are older.

• lauren0571lauren0571 member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks @inomniaparatus and @pbtoast
    I am normally not a big ice cream eater. I guess I was just surprised when I realized I had hit the bottom of the carton today. 

Edited because I just saw the response from @rn0107
    It's good to know I am not the only one. He is our first and we don't have any close friends with kids. It's so hard to know what is "normal".
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Achae said:
    My husband and I were torn on this issue for awhile. I was raised Catholic and he, Presbyterian/ Catholic. His family was a little less religious than mine, but I went to church every sunday growing up, went to sunday schools, went through communion, etc. In our adult lives, we were pretty much atheists because we didn't really agree with the teachings on some of the issues. When we had our first, we debated joining a church because we both agreed that the basic teachings of the church (the stuff that we learned when we were growing up - like being good to others and such) helped shape our childhood and our morals. However, after some deep soul searching we decided to raise our kids without religion. After we made the decision, we came across something similar to this article (can't locate the one I actually read), which made me feel better about the decision ( I had a lot of catholic guilt even though I thought my decision was the right one for our family). 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Our grocery store had Ben & Jerries on sale for $2! I totally stocked up. I even thought about having it for breakfast today and probably would have if I knew I wouldn't end up sick after :)

Wow that's a good deal!!! How I wish I could devour all 4 servings of chunky monkey Right now
  • Achae said:
    My husband and I were torn on this issue for awhile. I was raised Catholic and he, Presbyterian/ Catholic. His family was a little less religious than mine, but I went to church every sunday growing up, went to sunday schools, went through communion, etc. In our adult lives, we were pretty much atheists because we didn't really agree with the teachings on some of the issues. When we had our first, we debated joining a church because we both agreed that the basic teachings of the church (the stuff that we learned when we were growing up - like being good to others and such) helped shape our childhood and our morals. However, after some deep soul searching we decided to raise our kids without religion. After we made the decision, we came across something similar to this article (can't locate the one I actually read), which made me feel better about the decision ( I had a lot of catholic guilt even though I thought my decision was the right one for our family). 
    I had a similar situation. I was raised catholic (but also celebrated Jewish holidays because I'm a halfie lol) and my husband was raised some sort of christian (episcopalian I believe). My husband is now atheist and harbors a lot of resentment towards religion. Both of our parents are not religious whatsoever but my husband was religious (on his own) in high school. He went to a Christian private school and I think he feels like he was duped or something now. 
    Both of us obviously went to college (not together) but we were big into our respective philosophy courses and stuff and it became clear to both of us, in our later teens, that religion doesn't really make sense to us. 
    But, the difference is-- I'm not resentful for having the experience of being raised catholic at all. It's nice for a kid to believe, it's comforting - especially when they don't have the ability to really understand the deeper stuff. 
    I want to baptize my baby because my husband and I re both baptized and IF any higher being happens to exist (I'm not a full on atheist like he is), then the baby has the same "protections" we do. 
    Does that sound crazy? Hope that makes sense. 
    If they follow the same journey we did, and my parents did and his parents did--- they may decide later that religion isn't for them later- and I'd imagine that will be the case... but it's nice to have that comfort as a kid and to learn about the bible, etc. because it is a part of our history (may not be REAL history but part of history because of the importance people place on it). 
    My husband came around and agreed on the baptism but there's a point of contention about making the other sacraments going forward-- going to ccd, making communion, confirmation, etc. 
    We'll take it one step at a time though... 

Pregnancy Ticker

3 days is nothing! I polished off a pint of B&Js in one night the other day, lol. Usually it takes me 2 sittings, but it was so good! Nope, I don't feel bad about that at all, totally worth it.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• On the Ben & Jerry's theme - I absolutely detest the core flavors! I keep buying them to talk myself into liking them, but nope. Can't do it.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited July 2015
    @Monkeybutt80

I will check that out when I'm at my computer. I'm very interested in what it has to say. I was torn when I was pregnant with my first as my story is similar to yours. After reading Richard Dawkins God Dellusion, I made up my mind we were making the right decision. I think you would like the book, and I highly recommend it to anyone facing similar questions.

Dawkins has a very thorough discussion on where are morals come from and it's not religion. Quite the contrary. This could get long if I went deeper so I will just leave it at that. It's a great book and available on audible.

Edited to remove tree quote

Pregnancy Ticker

• MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited July 2015
    @inomniaparatus I'd recommend Dawkins book to you as well. While you may have felt religion was a comfort to you, Dawkins had some very interesting points to the contrary that had never occurred to me prior.

Edit grammar

Pregnancy Ticker

• Achae said:
    I had a similar situation. I was raised catholic (but also celebrated Jewish holidays because I'm a halfie lol) and my husband was raised some sort of christian (episcopalian I believe). My husband is now atheist and harbors a lot of resentment towards religion. Both of our parents are not religious whatsoever but my husband was religious (on his own) in high school. He went to a Christian private school and I think he feels like he was duped or something now. 
    Both of us obviously went to college (not together) but we were big into our respective philosophy courses and stuff and it became clear to both of us, in our later teens, that religion doesn't really make sense to us. 
    But, the difference is-- I'm not resentful for having the experience of being raised catholic at all. It's nice for a kid to believe, it's comforting - especially when they don't have the ability to really understand the deeper stuff. 
    I want to baptize my baby because my husband and I re both baptized and IF any higher being happens to exist (I'm not a full on atheist like he is), then the baby has the same "protections" we do. 
    Does that sound crazy? Hope that makes sense. 
    If they follow the same journey we did, and my parents did and his parents did--- they may decide later that religion isn't for them later- and I'd imagine that will be the case... but it's nice to have that comfort as a kid and to learn about the bible, etc. because it is a part of our history (may not be REAL history but part of history because of the importance people place on it). 
    My husband came around and agreed on the baptism but there's a point of contention about making the other sacraments going forward-- going to ccd, making communion, confirmation, etc. 
    We'll take it one step at a time though... 
    If you don't believe in God, then baptism protects you or saves you from nothing. You get into heaven because you believe, not because you were baptized as a baby.

No I know-- but I mean the protection as a baby. If we had that "protection" as babies, I feel like our baby should have it too.
    For the small, tiny part of me that would like to believe, I feel like my baby deserves to be baptized. For the most part, I don't believe in any of that stuff, but it's hard to adopt any idea fully. I'm sometimes guilty of playing Pascal's wager but so be it... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MamaFromero  I am going to check that book out. thanks for the suggestion. 
    That's sort of what this article touches on, but I would love to read more about it. 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • ShatzegirlShatzegirl member
    edited July 2015
    @lauren0571 You're not alone! I'm sure those kids at the playground have their moments, too. My parenting class teacher said she'd be more worried about a child who didn't act out, than one who did. Some kids are more spirited than others, too. My husband and I are reading, "Raising your Spirited Child" and it's been really helpful so far. Toddlers are rough sometimes. My son is almost 3 1/2 and I can totally relate to what you're going through with the daily struggles and being nervous about a second one. You're not failing, though! You're doing a great job. Hang in there, mama. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • ShatzegirlShatzegirl member
    edited July 2015
    @MaybeMab I totally know what you're saying. I love my husband and son so much. Sometimes I envy my single friends or people who don't have kids. I miss that freedom. There are times I fantasize about getting a hotel room at the beach for a weekend all by myself. Do you consider yourself an introvert? I'm definitely one so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also don't have the best support system where I live which makes hard to have date nights with my husband, etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @inomniaparatus
    your (and others but yours stand out, sorry) quote trees = huge. Can you trim them? ;) Tia

Fffc: almost noon... Dd are still in our pjs and haven't done anything except sit on the couch!
  • wisco29 said:
    @inomniaparatus your (and others but yours stand out, sorry) quote trees = huge. Can you trim them? ;) Tia Fffc: almost noon... Dd are still in our pjs and haven't done anything except sit on the couch!

yes sorry 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wonder about my toddler too. He has insane energy and he's a really physical kid. We go to library storytime and every other kid, no matter their age, is sitting and listening to the stories and singing along with the songs- my kid just wants to climb up and down the risers and spin around and jump and stuff. He can't sit still and listen, he has to be moving! But NO other kid is like this. How is that possible? He's not being naughty or disruptive, just busy. It makes me wonder.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • @AdventureMama mine's the same way! He doesn't want anything to do with story time. He's always on the move! Definitely more spirited than other children.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • All this talk of ice cream is making me crazy! I'm stuck at work and all I can think of is sneaking out to get some.
  • I'm kind of worried about how hyper my future child will be. My husband had adhd as a kid. Luckily, his parents managed it pretty well later on and he did well in school and everything but he was a pretty crazy toddler from what I hear-- he got kicked out of pre-school for peeing on another kid (how gross is that!?).
    I was the opposite-- very quiet, shy, preferred playing alone 

I hope my kid ends up somewhere in between! 

Pregnancy Ticker