August 2015 Moms

Stupid pedi office!

Let me start out by saying I love my pedi office. My kids have gone there for 4 years now.
Well my daughter(almost 4 weeks now) has been there once and will go back for her 1 mth next week. I called today to ask about her formula intake bc my boobs are disappointing me once again and I can't produce enough milk. She's been on neosure for 2 feedings a day, but now it's 5-6 a day bc my milk production is down due to meds.
Wouldn't you know her dr is on vacation until next week!!! The NP won't answer my questions bc she's only been seen once and since she's a preemie she doesn't want to give me the "wrong" answers. Wtf??? You went to school for this! How can you say you can't answer my medical questions until the main dr is back in 4 days?! It's her formula! It's what she drinks to sustain life right now!
My main concern is that ever since I increased her formula intake, she hasn't pooped. Plenty of wet diapers, but no poop. She's straining a lot and she wakes up crying from it.
Had to vent... Sorry for such a long post. But it's been a long day!

Re: Stupid pedi office!

• Can you bring her in early? I would think if you call and say hey, my child is horribly constipated, I want her seen today, they would have to bring you in. Then NP would have seen her again and should be able to give you medical advice. Otherwise, I'd be telling them they need to call the doctor on vacation if they didn't leave someone qualified enough to answer basic feeding questions to cover for him.
  • Whoa! There's no other doctor in this practice? I would be very concerned with the lack of poopy diapers as well. You should call back and demand to speak with a doctor. This is insane. I'm upset for you!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • edited July 2015
    I'm going through the exact same thing. My LO is going 3 days without pooping because I had to increase the neosure because my supply completely dried up which has already made me feel horrible. I'm calling her doctors office tomorrow to see what we can do about it. (Her doctor is also out of town so they will have to schedule us with someone else) (They should be able to do this for you too). I don't want her constipation to get worse because she is already getting cranky with it now.. GL mama!
  • That is very frustrating. I had similar issues with having to supplement due to low production with my first and nothing makes you feel more helpless than thinking you may not be feeding your baby correctly. I wish I could give you some insight, but I would say if she doesn't poop tomorrow you can always call again or take her in to see someone.
  • gulimzgulimz member
    That's so frustrating! I'm so sorry you and @CarelessDiva89 have to go through that.
    I'm really surprised a NP or anyone covering would day something like that. Not pooping is a big deal. I agree with pp that if you bring her in, who ever is covering has to do something about it.
    Good luck! Hope your beautiful babies get some relief soon!
  • It's so frustrating! I just feel like crap. I was producing 2 oz sometimes and now I'm pumping an oz if I'm lucky! She drinks 1.5 oz now. I can't keep up. :(
    Still no poopy diapers!!!! Going to call again.
    @carelessdiva89 do you think it's from the iron in the neosure??
  • sjra1028 said:

It's so frustrating! I just feel like crap. I was producing 2 oz sometimes and now I'm pumping an oz if I'm lucky! She drinks 1.5 oz now. I can't keep up. :(

That is a possibility. Iron can be constipating
  • Joie80Joie80 member
    That is concerning. It does take the little ones a while to get used to formula. Some gas and constipation is common, but if it's been a while, I'd insist that they give some assistance.
  • @CarelessDiva89 this might help your lo too! The nurse FINALLY called me back and said it's normal for newborns to not have a bm for up to 6 days as long as there isn't a fever or vomiting. She wants me to bicycle her legs, stimulate with a rectal thermometer, massage her tummy, and give her up to 2 oz of apple juice. Not all at once though, just over the next couple of days.
  • sjra1028 said:

It's so frustrating! I just feel like crap. I was producing 2 oz sometimes and now I'm pumping an oz if I'm lucky! She drinks 1.5 oz now. I can't keep up. :(

sjra1028 said:

@CarelessDiva89 this might help your lo too! The nurse FINALLY called me back and said it's normal for newborns to not have a bm for up to 6 days as long as there isn't a fever or vomiting. She wants me to bicycle her legs, stimulate with a rectal thermometer, massage her tummy, and give her up to 2 oz of apple juice. Not all at once though, just over the next couple of days.

I think iron can be constipating & Thank you for all the info. I now remember the nurse telling me at discharge about it being normal not to have a bm for up to 6 days as well. So that makes me feel better :) Im making an appointment for her check up and will be using those suggestions if she doesn't have a bm today. Hopefully they both can get some relief soon!