January 2016 Moms

Crib Suggestion :)

as we prepare for our first, I'm totally overwhelmed about which crib to buy! I love the restoration cribs but hear bad things? Any advice on what is the best (the most safe!) crib on the market? Thank you so much!

Re: Crib Suggestion :)

• All cribs (new) are held to the same safety standards, no matter if they are $100 or $1000. Most of the cost of a crib depends on the amount and type of wood used/intricacy in the design. I personally have no desire to spend buttloads of money on something that will be chewed up to pieces. I'm not even getting a crib that converts to a bed, when my kid is old enough for a proper bed I'll buy them a bedroom set. Go to a store and check them out in person. Then you can check reviews for the cribs you like best online. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We had a DaVinci brand crib for my step son, he used it for 5 1/2 years (turned into a toddler bed). We plan to buy the same brand for this little monster. I loved it, it was mahogany real solid wood and sturdy, but we've moved so many times and some of the holes have been stripped so buying a new one seems like the best decision for us.

Good luck and Congrats!!!

• I just bought a cheap one from Walmart it came with a changing table for around $80. Never had a problem with it and I've even slept in it a few time, so it seems sturdy.
  • I'm getting a set from BBB, I forgot the brand name but the model is Cape Cod. It has a changing table attached (which detaches) - the baby's room is small so this made sense. It also converts to toddler and full size. My mom's only suggestion for me (she is good about not pushing her opinions on me) was that if I'm buying a convertible is to make sure I buy all the converter pieces now in case the ever discontinue the line in the future.
  • Anyone not getting a crib? Is this even possible? I read a pin of one mom that didn't do a crib. She put a mattress on the floor with a pool noodle under the sheet as a 'bumper'.
    My babies room is upstairs and we are down stairs so I have no idea how the baby will be down stairs with us, so I wonder if the crib will even get used?!
  • MommaB16 said:

Anyone not getting a crib? Is this even possible? I read a pin of one mom that didn't do a crib. She put a mattress on the floor with a pool noodle under the sheet as a 'bumper'.
    My babies room is upstairs and we are down stairs so I have no idea how the baby will be down stairs with us, so I wonder if the crib will even get used?!

Do you have room to put a crib or mini crib in your room until you feel comfortable with the baby upstairs? We have baby sleep in their crib in our room for the first 3 months anyway.
  • zg49zg49 member
    We also got the DaVinci brand the converts to toddler bed. Seemed like a good way to get some bang for our buck. Still using it as a crib however so not sure how the toddler bed is. We will be getting the same crib for new baby too.

• cjd&kcjd&k member
    MommaB16 said:

Anyone not getting a crib? Is this even possible? I read a pin of one mom that didn't do a crib. She put a mattress on the floor with a pool noodle under the sheet as a 'bumper'.

Not using a crib and just having a mattress on the floor is used in a Montessori style nursery. It's where you completely baby proof the room and make it so that its accessible to baby. It's suppose to help baby become independent and learn on their own.
  • We got a crib at Target a few weeks ago. It's the Eddie Bauer one, and was about $100 cheaper than similar ones at BBB and BRU, and after a while, they all start to look the same anyway! I like that it's convertible, but uses a regular bed frame when you use the long side as a headboard, so no extra special parts are needed to buy now for down the road.
  • mg137mg137 member
    We have Kalon cribs. They're all non toxic wood finish and paint. That was important to me because of off gassing and in case they sucked or chewed on the crib. Kalon took forever to ship, though, so order early. (They're all made to order) They're not cheap.

We're going to sleep new baby in a bassinet for naps and co sleeper crib next to our bed at night for the first few months and hope the twins are ready for big beds before new baby needs a crib because I do not want to buy a THIRD crib. (Maybe I should have thought about that before getting knocked up the same week my twins turned one. I FREAKING KNOW.)
  • Just my experience as a second time mom.... We purchased a convertible crib for my son and never ended up "converting " it . When he was ready for a big boy bed it just made sense to go out and get him a new one. Plus the crib gets pretty beat up with teething and my son crawling/climbing on it for two plus years or more
  • We got this one from Walmart, it was on sale for $180
  • We were lucky to be gifted a sleigh crib. It belonged to my BIL/SIL and they used it for both of their boys. I know it was quite expensive ($800?) but it has held up beautifully. They used clear plastic covers on the top rails to prevent chew marks, we've done the same. It is super heavy and looks beautiful. However, it's huge. Luckily my son's room is big enough that it didn't matter.

The point being, sometimes you get what you pay for. I've heard tons of people say just buy a cheap one, they don't last anyway. But this trip has been through three children and looks perfect. We will be using it for our next baby and likely converting it to a toddler bed at that point. I would have never spent that kind of money on a crib but I am glad to have it now.