August 2015 Moms

bringing boppy?

Should I bring my boppy pillow with me to the hospital? I've never had a boppy pillow before and I only tried to BF for about a day with DD 9 years ago. I'm really wanting to stick with it this time around though and need opinions on if bringing my boppy will help at all or if it's just more stuff to keep track of. Help?

Re: bringing boppy?

• I am. I was never comfortable nursing using a regular pillow,especially early on.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• jlo629jlo629 member
    I brought mine and used it a ton! Highly recommend bringing it!!! I kept the bag mine came in to help keep it clean when transporting it and storing at the hospital.
  • Loading the player...
  • I say bring it. You want all your options available to you. I used mine in the hospital but I'm also going to try out the "breast crawl" this time around and see what's more comfortable for baby and me.
  • I say bring it. You want all your options available to you. I used mine in the hospital but I'm also going to try out the "breast crawl" this time around and see what's more comfortable for baby and me.

What is "breast crawl"?
  • I'm not bringing mine, but I have c-sections and don't find it comfortable to nurse with the boppy in the beginning until I'm healed. I just ask for extra pillows in the hospital.
  • I've never really used mine, when I've brought it... I have found making an l shape with the pillows works just as well... One across your front and one under your Arm on your side.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• I took mine this time and used it a lot. I didn't feel like it was too much as it actually fit in my medium rolling suitcase I had packed.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS my boppy was actually a present that someone brought when they came to see us at the hospital and it came in really handy for me even tho I didn't nurse him. I plan to bring mine this time especially since I am going to BF this time.
  • Last time my DH left the Boppy in the car and refused to leave to get it... But I had no trouble using the hospital pillows, they gave me like a dozen of them. I am not going to bother bringing it this time.
  • jesigirlijesigirli member
    edited July 2015
    Boppy related side note, the regular covers that come with the Boppy are a bit thin and unimpressive. I just ordered an organic Boppy cover from Amazon that came in the mail today, and it is heaven by comparison. I don't remember the cost difference, maybe $8 or $9 more, but totally worth it to me!

ETA yes I'm bringing mine to the hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker

What is "breast crawl"?
    @HarleenQuinz86 I started a thread called 'for FTMs who plan to breastfeed' a while ago that you can search for (can't work out how to link it here), but that has an article and video linked to it. Or just google it! The method allows a newborn to find the nipple itself rather than jamming a tit in its mouth.

• I am in the hospital right now (DS decided he couldn't wait to meet us on the day he was scheduled to arrive next week!), & I do wish I had brought mine. I had a c-section, so it wasn't a big deal at first since I couldn't sit up anyway. But now I wish I had it. Definitely would have made things easier. Oh well... we're headed home later this morning. :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a no but I never used any nursing pillows. Plus I try to bring the least amount of stuff to the hospital as possible.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Meh, I Iove my boppy but won't be bringing it to the hospital.  Mostly because I like to bring as little as possible, but also because, although my daughter was suckling and beginning nursing at the hospital last time, I didn't start producing milk and starting the marathon nursing sessions until we were home.

• e1223e1223 member
    edited July 2015
    That's definitely been my most used items all 3 times! I'm still in with #3, and since he's in the NICU, it's so nice to just leave it down by his crib there when I go down to nurse.

Edited to add - I had vaginal births the first 2 times and a c-section this time and have used it equally all 3 times.
  • Joie80Joie80 member
    I prefer My Breast Friend. It's in the pile to come with me.
  • Glad someone asked this Bc I have been debating this myself.
  • im bringing my nursing pillow (my brest friend) i brought it with my first DD and used it a lot..so will be doing the same with this DD

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is no harm in bringing it. Wouldn't you rather have it there and not need it than not bring it and wish you had? I'm bringing mine. You can always leave it in the car and then if you decide you want it send your SO out to get it.
  • Miz_Liz said:
    There is no harm in bringing it. Wouldn't you rather have it there and not need it than not bring it and wish you had? I'm bringing mine. You can always leave it in the car and then if you decide you want it send your SO out to get it.
    This! I'm bringing mine and leaving it in the car. I'll use it if I need it and if not don't have to worry about it. 
  • gmd88gmd88 member
    I took a BFing class for pregnant women with a lactation consultant at the hospital where I would be delivering at (I've been very nervous about BFing)... I asked her the same question and she recommended bringing it! That way you can get used to how to "use" it with your baby. :)

• What is "breast crawl"?

I read the thread about the breast crawl, watched a few videos & am now super excited to try this technique. What I learned the most is that this can help let your baby use their lack of head control as an advantage. With them bobbing their head down onto your breast they can latch easier than trying to reach up. With mom sitting up baby may pull the nipple down & hurt mom more, so letting baby be on top of your chest may hurt less.

Please look into it, it may change how comfortable you and baby are with feeding in the early days. Good luck!