July 2015 Moms

Upper back/shoulder pain?

8 days pp and my upper back/shoulders and neck are sooo sore and achy all the time! I'm BF so I'm not sure if this is pain from that, from my boobs being bigger, or from not having a supportive enough nursing bra. DH says he thinks it's from holding LO and constantly looking down at her while she eats or while I'm holding her against my chest. I'm taking ibuprofen and that helps a little. Also I started putting a giant ice pack on it yesterday and that helps, but then about an hour after the ice pack comes off the pain comes back.

Does anyone else have this pain? What helps? How do I make it better? Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Upper back/shoulder pain?

• I'm experiencing the same pain & I was thinking the same thing as your husband. I try to watch my posture while holding & carrying him, but I haven't figured out how to really make the pain go away. Hopefully someone on here will have some good tips.
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    Across my back from shoulder to shoulder feels like it's on fire when I hold/feed/rock DS. I change my posture the best I can while doing those things and have DH try to relief that tension with pressure and it helps sometimes.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • crf4crf4 member
    My MIL is a massage therapist and she called it nursing neck. Try to stretch the neck muscles (look up and side to side) and see if hubby will give you a neck massage.
  • There are also various yoga stretches you can do to help relieve it. It will get get better with time too
  • It's completely related to BFing and looking down at LO. Find a chiro, get an adjustment.
  • It's from holding baby and feeding. It's normal. I use biofreeze. It helps
  • Oh yes I'm having that pain. I think part of mine is the positions I get in while breastfeeding. I take ibuprofen and try to stretch my back out and arch it every once and a while.