Breastfeeding

Lost supply on left side..?

I am 3 weeks postpartum, and nursing has been going beautifully. No bottles, just nursing on demand. But all of the sudden yesterday I noticed that my supply, just on my left side, has severely diminished.  My breast is extremely soft without filling up at all.  She will nurse on that side, but I can tell there is not as much milk.  Starting yesterday I have tried to increase the supply on that side by nursing that side first, in addition to pumping every 2 hours on that side (with only getting 1/2 to 1 ml per pump).  Increasing my water, fenugreek, lactation cookies, etc. as well.  Anyone else experience this? Will my supply on that side come back? Why did this happen?

On a different note, I am posting this from my computer because I can't figure out how to start a new discussion on my app -- am I just blind?

Re: Lost supply on left side..?

• I produce very little on my right side. When I pump, even after feeding only on the left, I'll get 3-4 oz on the left and less than one oz on the right. I make enough milk total, so not too concerned about it. I try to start with that Breast hoping it'll stimulate it, but almost five months in nothing has changed.
  • rae430rae430 member
    After the first few weeks, your supply will begin to regulate and your breasts won't feel as firm anymore when they're full. Even though the breast feels soft, there is probably plenty of milk for your LO! That being said, sometimes one side will just produce more than the other. When I pump, I can get up to 6 oz from the right side but only 3 from the left. Letting your LO nurse first on the underproducing side will help increase the supply, but a lot of times, one side just has a bigger storage capacity than the other. If you're seeing plenty of wet diapers and your LO is gaining weight, you have nothing to worry about
  • Loading the player...
  • I found this helpful:

https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/

I was surprised to read that the softness of the breast doesn't mean there is less milk. If your baby is nursing and swallowing that is a good sign.
    However, my friend fed her baby for over a year with just her right breast because the left stopped producing. And her baby was VERY fat and didn't start solids until 7 months. So even if it did stop producing there is still hope.