May 2015 Moms

is it sanitary to put breastmilk in the refrigerator at work?

is it sanitary to put breastmilk in the refrigerator at work? I've started pumping at work and I feel weird doing it. Mainly because I'm in a closed door cubicle. So there are two people on each side and it makes a lot of noise. I just feel weird that people can hear and they know whats going on.

Re: is it sanitary to put breastmilk in the refrigerator at work?

• erin79erin79 member
    I keep my milk in a little lunch cooler with an ice pack, and also put it in the fridge at work (when I remember!).  I pump in a bathroom with a door lock.  Not the best scenery, but there is a chair and a little table.  Is there anywhere else in your office you could go?  A meeting room or something?
  • I would probably put it in another container in the fridge if at all possible. That way it's not staring people right in the face when they open the fridge. But that's just my opinion.

Is there another space you can pump? I can understand how uncomfortable that would be. And if you're stressing about it then there's a chance you won't pump as much as you normally could.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh I have it in a small cooler that came with the pump and I just stick it in the fridge. Not really any other options and I don't want to use the bathrooms, they smell.
  • the closed door cubicle is like a office space, it is tall cubicles, but it doesn't go all the way up the ceiling and the door locks. I've been having my back up against the door, so if someone tries to come in, it will be locked and they can't see anything when they walk in.