January 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding mom who doesn't plan to pump?

I've seen several bf discussions that were really helpful, but can't find anything about my specific question. I'm a ftm, plan to exclusively bf but don't plan to pump. Am I naive, is it something I will find out I have to do? Several friends who have breastfed immediately told me that I should buy a pump before lo is born, it just seems unnecessary to me (expensive and uncomfortable if not needed). I will be going back to work, but I own the business and baby will be with me at work full time.

Re: Breastfeeding mom who doesn't plan to pump?

• Loading the player...
  • I EBF my daughter but my mother bought me a pump anyways. Glad she did cause a month later she had a stroke and i had to pump so i could be at the hospital with her. Like PP's have said you never know what will come up so be pepared for anything.
  • What about getting a hand held and leave it in the package so you can return of you don't use it? (I found it very difficult to leave the house at first)

I pumped the first week with my son because he did not latch well, but I was in the hospital so I used the pump there.

When I got home I pumped once a day to build up a "just in case" stash, which he never really took so was a total waste of time. I am not planning to pump much with this one, but I will have a pump "just in case". (In case of mastitis or poor latch, or something new)
  • I agree having a pump on hand just in case is a good idea
  • I agree with others I want to EBF but I'll be going back to work so I want to store up a supply of milk in the freezer for daddy or nana's. But I will get a single manual one.
  • I agree with others I want to EBF but I'll be going back to work so I want to store up a supply of milk in the freezer for daddy or nana's. But I will get a single manual one.

Won't you need a pump for at work?

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• SummerOH said:

I agree with others I want to EBF but I'll be going back to work so I want to store up a supply of milk in the freezer for daddy or nana's. But I will get a single manual one.

Yes that's why my last sentence said I will get one. So supply doesn't run low.
  • I would get a manual pump. I had the Medela single manual pump with my last 2 and loved it, I actually liked it more than my Medela double electric pump! It was really helpful in the beginning when my milk came in fast and I needed to pump just a little to relieve pressure. Plus then you will be able to pump some in the event you will be away from LO if you don't want to use formula.
  • LljbeanLljbean member
    edited July 2015
    I EBF'd with DD but I still had a pump. Believe me, when one or both of your boobs swell up and your LO isn't hungry yet, that pump will be a God send and if LO isn't hungry when you are full up, pumping will make sure your supply is still going steady. :)  It is nice to have some extra put away for when things don't go as planned or you do want a date/time with friends etc. 
    Me:28 DH:35
    Married: 7.23.11
    DD:10.17.12
    EDD #2!:1.17.16 

• SummerOH said:

SummerOH said:

I agree with others I want to EBF but I'll be going back to work so I want to store up a supply of milk in the freezer for daddy or nana's. But I will get a single manual one.

Right, I saw that. But a manual single one isn't gonna cut it when you go back to work.
    Hey gotta make it work for what's in my budget plus every woman is different what may not work for you may work for me. I'll get the single manual one if it doesn't work for me I'll search for one that will no worries.
  • I personally preferred my single manual pump... I could express way faster that way. You'll need to pump at some point, even if it's just for relief.
  • SummerOH said:

SummerOH said:

Right, I saw that. But a manual single one isn't gonna cut it when you go back to work.
    Hey gotta make it work for what's in my budget plus every woman is different what may not work for you may work for me. I'll get the single manual one if it doesn't work for me I'll search for one that will no worries.
    Agreed. Check with your insurance company. They should cover a double electric one.

• l4rkl4rk member
    I plan to breastfeed as much as possible but will get a pump for the one offs. One realistic scenario is meeting my SO downtown for lunch. I have no problem with public breastfeeding except that we work downtown, which is swarming with our predominantly male coworkers. I don't wanna make it weird...
  • l4rk said:

I plan to breastfeed as much as possible but will get a pump for the one offs. One realistic scenario is meeting my SO downtown for lunch. I have no problem with public breastfeeding except that we work downtown, which is swarming with our predominantly male coworkers. I don't wanna make it weird...

I still wouldn't consider it weird. They can look the other way and be respectful about it. You shouldn't feel like you can't do it just because there are men around.
  • SummerOH said:

SummerOH said:

SummerOH said:

Agreed. Check with your insurance company. They should cover a double electric one.
    Yeah I will be checking there for sure cause if they cover it I will be getting it.
  • Team get a pump. Like others said even a manual one but I would check and see if insurance pays for one.

For me personally there is no way I could have gone 9+ months of BFing without giving a bottle. Mama needs some freedom!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I EBF but pumped to build a stash for times when I'd be away from baby. Get the pump.
    -LJ
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not that I hope any situation where your baby can't eat on anyone, but I ended up needing a pump. At 6 weeks DS had pyloric stenosis (pretty much a stomach blockage) and needed surgery. Just before surgery for 36 hours he couldn't eat, and I needed to relieve myself, and after he had to eat a measure amount of ounces increasing slowly for several weeks so I had to pump and bottle feed to give him the correct amount. So I would say at the very least get a manual pump for emergency situations.
  • cjd&kcjd&k member
    If your insurance possibly covers a pump, how do I figure that out? Is it something I would look into later or something I can look into now? Do I just call my insurance? I've never heard of this and am super interested considering I will be breastfeeding and will have to go back to work.
  • cjd&k said:

If your insurance possibly covers a pump, how do I figure that out? Is it something I would look into later or something I can look into now? Do I just call my insurance? I've never heard of this and am super interested considering I will be breastfeeding and will have to go back to work.

Are you in the US? I am pretty sure it is legally required for your insurance to cover some sort of pump. Call them up and ask and they will point you in the right direction.
  • l4rkl4rk member

l4rk said:

I still wouldn't consider it weird. They can look the other way and be respectful about it. You shouldn't feel like you can't do it just because there are men around.
    Yeah, but I'm also not going to step way outside my comfort zone just because I have the right to. I'm going to do what's right for me and in this case it's not risking my boss or subordinates seeing my breast.
  • kmo8986 said:
    Are you in the US? I am pretty sure it is legally required for your insurance to cover some sort of pump. Call them up and ask and they will point you in the right direction.
    If you're in the US, your insurance is required to cover a breast pump.  It was part of the Affordable Care Act several years ago.  Just call up the insurance company and they'll tell you what procedure to follow.  Usually you can get them in advance within a month or two of delivery, I believe.

• l4rk said:

l4rk said:

Yeah, but I'm also not going to step way outside my comfort zone just because I have the right to. I'm going to do what's right for me and in this case it's not risking my boss or subordinates seeing my breast.
    Cool beans. As long as it works for you & baby that's great.
  • I got a pump and only used it initially to help my milk come in, then breastfed exclusively for over a year until I got a job, then pumped again, only at work, still breastfed on demand at home. I second the others saying to have it ahead of time, in case you need it.
  • enkbenkb member
    Thanks for all the input, I didn't even think about insurance covering a pump, I will def be checking in to that.
  • I planned to EBF DS but after struggling to get him to breastfeed, I became an EPer at around 8 weeks, which I of course had no intention of, but would not have been possible without a double electric pump. So my point is that you just never know. Plus many insurances will cover part or all of the cost of one as long as you follow their rules in getting it.
  • I knew some women who were able to breastfeed without a pump including my SIL. But they also don't go on date nights or ever leave their babies. When I was two days post partum, I went to the emergency room with an allergic reaction and I pumped a bottle for my mom before we left. I guess if I didn't have a pump I could've brought my baby with me but it was probably better not to bring a newborn into a germy hospital.
  • I exclusively breastfed both of my children till well into toddlerhood, and the only reason I ever bought a bump was to donate milk while I was nursing my second. Not everyone requires a pump. 
  • Also check with your insurance company a lot of them cover one so you don't have to pay for it. 8) then you can have it just in case but not have to spend the money.
  • I plan to breastfeed exclusively but got a pump for times I will leave baby (date nights, vacations, etc.) so I can have milk for the sitter, or to help with supply or if baby can't latch, etc..... My insurance fully covered my Medela double electric pump - it was $450. You should call your insurance & ask if you get a pump.
  • I EBF my son. I had a pump but he never took a bottle so it was only used if I was engorged. I was lucky that I didn't have to work or leave him for long periods of time.
  • I EBF DS and used a pump a handful of times. Although I had a great supply for him, I could not pump more than 1-2 oz at a time. It would take me a week to get a 6 oz bottle so I very rarely left him. It didn't bother me all that much although I know that some women get antsy while others need to go back to work. Also, I never had an emergency that prevented me from being with my baby. I think that a pump is essential, even if you only use it a few times.
  • I breastfed my lo from birth to 3.5 years. I had a gallbladder surgery when she was 3m. I used a hand pump to pump enough for the few hours I needed. It took me two weeks! I tried to use an electric one but ended up being engorged. It stimulated plenty of milk production but did not remove enough. I have never leaked milk either(don't know if that has anything to do with anything)Not all ladies can pump. Looking at Lo's pictures and smelling her blanket helped the most with having any type of production with a pump. She only had two or three bottles. And that was it, never did I pump again. So, it's not crazy to just ebf. Especailly if you plan to breastfeed ecologically. If did not have to have surgery I would not have ever touched a pump.
  • SummerOH said:

I will be very surprised if you don't use a pump at some point. Date night? A day away before you're done nursing? Nights LO FINALLY sleeps through the night and you need to relieve pressure? I highly, highly recommend the Medela Harmony manual pump!

This. I had an electric pump but actually loved and had a lot of success with my hand/manual pump (Medela) as well and it was only about $30 at target.